1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to Upgrade

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kuduhunter, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Dec 21, 2016 at 8:37 PM
    kuduhunter

kuduhunter [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 4runner
    tundra front disc upgrade;FJ 17" rims
    Look forward to all the posts. Currently have a 1999 4Runner but looking to upgrade to a expedition worthy 4runner

2. Dec 22, 2016 at 1:56 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Why is the 99 not worthy?

3. Dec 22, 2016 at 6:56 AM
    kuduhunter

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 4runner
    It is fine. I bought it a few years ago to play around in the woods with and is showing her age. At 230000 miles wanting to get something can take on longer trips and be more comfortable. May still keep the 99 to play around home.

4. Dec 22, 2016 at 8:59 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    My cousin has a 2007 4th Gen v8 4x4, his wife a 2014 SR5 4x4, my wife a 2016 Trail.

Every single one of those could be Expedition Worthy. If your Runner has a reliable powertrain and 4x4, it's time to start building.

I think the 3rd Gen bodies look great, and added bonus, are less bulky than 4th and 5th Gens. If you want to start over, set a budget of about $5000 - $8000 in mods (could be done way less, but you'l want to spend way more), and budget that into your vehicle purchase, so you know what you're getting into.

What would that $5000 - $8000 buy you?

Here's some suggestions:
    Mild Lift + Tires (Lift only needed to fit larger tires)
    Armor (Sliders + Skids + Bumpers)
    Winch (to be mounted on said bumper)
    Cargo (Roof mounted baskets)
    Tools (Shovels, Axe, Maxtrax, Rotopax, CBs, Lights, Nav Things)

You really don't need all this to go Expeditioing, however, as my stock 4Runner could probably do it with better tires and a mild lift. However, the better gear will get you further.

The downside, is better gear with get you further. If you're not prepared from a camping / survival situation to get further, all that gear will just get you in trouble. I'd imagine that if you're interested in this, you're probably a pretty avid camper and can handle your own, so I'll assume that's the case.

Palerider and Ric like this.
  5. Dec 22, 2016 at 11:48 AM
    kuduhunter

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 4runner
    Yes those are good thoughts as did that to a Bronco I had. Just looking for a little more power and fewer miles. Don't want to put that much money in this 4runner. The mountains of CO are steep and snow gets deep. Rumor has it 2018 4Runner will have 300 hp so may wait for that.

6. Dec 22, 2016 at 2:14 PM
    Ric

Ric New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ric
    IMHO the 3rd gen is a great all around rig. Ive had a 3rd gen and a 4th gen, looking to get another 3rd gen for more of expo runs. Now just my thought, save your money keep the 3rd gen as it will take just about anywhere you would want to go.
    Question, have you re-geared it? that will help, I re-geared mine to 4:88 with the 33s and all the extra weight, I would cruise up the mountains at 75 with no problems.

fajitas21 likes this.
  7. Dec 22, 2016 at 8:30 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    If the 4Runner in 2018 goes to the Atkinson cycle engine to improve MPG you're likely not going to like the feel of that drivetrain compared to the current 5th Gen 4Runner. That engine doesn't build torque and HP until around the 2500 RPM mark, and people like their trucks to have it down low. This is precisely why so many complain about the new Tacoma drivetrains. Personally, it's fine, but the 4Runner I have feels much torquier than the Tacoma. 25 ish HP isn't really important, it's all about the TQ.

In CO, if you want to play, you're going to want a 2016 Trail or 2017 Off Road, the main reason is the rear locking diff. If you're not familiar with that, check it out. I've used it on my wife's Runner a few times and it 100% got her over what the open diffs simply couldn't do. It's the real deal.

Also, even with the high miles, someone on here or TacomaWorld will buy that 4Runner from you when you're ready to sell. 3rd Gen was a good series.

8. Dec 23, 2016 at 4:39 AM
    Ric

Ric New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ric
    I have to disagree with this statement, Im a firm believer "Its the driver, not the rig" Ive personally seen guy with open diff's run 8 rated trails. The Lockers help a lot, my 99 had it, the 04 didnt you learn to wheel what you have. You could also add, an ARB locker if you think you HAVE TO HAVE a locker.

9. Dec 23, 2016 at 1:18 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    I'll meet you in the middle and say that an less experienced driver would benefit from the lockers, as long as they don't get themselves into trouble by using them improperly (and causing a roll over).

And I don't doubt that an open diff can do most of the stuff, but you gotta hit it faster and harder and likely to break more stuff than the controlled precision of a locker. Sometimes you can't pick your line in a nasty rut.

I certainly don't disagree, however. The truck itself is much more capable than my skill currently. In any form.

Ric likes this.
  10. Dec 23, 2016 at 2:56 PM
    Ric

Ric New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ric
    if I do end up getting another 4th gen, I will add the ARB locker. The center Diff is good, but its no real locker lol

Products Discussed in

To Top