1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to buy a used 3rd-4th Gen

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Macatron, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Jul 3, 2017 at 6:44 AM
    Macatron

Macatron [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello everyone! I'm brandnew to this forum, and I'm looking to purchase a used 3rd or 4th gen 4Runner. :)

Anyway, my wife and I are expecting our second child by the end of August, and we're both currently in newer (smaller) cars that we can't easily trade out of financially. That being said, we decided to start looking at older SUVs that would fit our new family better. After some research, I narrowed my sights on the 4th Gen 4Runner, but I wanted to delve a little deeper before pulling the trigger.

I've primarily been looking at 2002-2004 models to keep the price affordable, and I'm trying to keep the mileage low (realistically). With this in mind what kinds of issues should I be looking for? I've seen people mention excess rust and whether or not the timing belt has been changed (which is kind of a given with the age). Are there any other model specific issues I should be aware of?

Thanks so much! :D

2. Jul 12, 2017 at 8:04 AM
    larramo

larramo 3ed gen faithfully

Member:
    First Name:
    larry
    clearlake ca
    Vehicle:
    4 runner
    3" lift but mostly all stock not a scratch on it it is pristine condition amazing for being 19 years old.
    if you are looking for the best hands down its the 4runner had got mine at a dealership i did a lot of research about 3 weeks till i found the one one owner had all maintenance records a perfect carfax the 4runner was in absolute pristine condition not a scratch but i also knew i would have to put in a new timing belt water pump and pulleys and ball joints axles half shafts set me back about 1000 bucks it had 200.000 miles on it but the old owner took it to the dealer every 3000 miles and changed the oil so when i went to the dealer i took my compression tool and ask if i could test the 3 cylinders they said ok they all came out at 175 perfect so i brought a cashier's check for 6000 they said they could not sell it that cheap i said fine a got up to leave as i was getting in my car the sales guy ran up and said ok we will take it money talks so now i have a great 4runner that will last up to 400.000 miles with regular maintenance so do you home work and if it sounds to good to be true i probably is a good 3erd gen 4runner average price is around 4500 to 6000 larry

Products Discussed in

To Top