1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for honest feedback on trading in my 2017 for a 2021...

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Oey12, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Dec 23, 2019 at 6:59 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey`
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Eibach Pro Sport leveling shocks, Firestone airbags, and Baja Design fog lights...
    Lately I've been thinking about trading in my 2017 SR5 for a 2021 unless Toyota comes out with a redesign. And at that point I would let them work the new model kinks out first. I have had a few issues with my current truck and I have slightly above average mileage (45K). The mileage and the condition (from driving-dings/paint chips/etc) of the truck does not bother me in the least. The truck is set up exactly how I want it and I really enjoy driving and owning it. In all honestly I would mind getting the same exact color and model. BUT I am concerned about all the warranty work and quality control issues I had...

1.) The ABS wiring harness failed (not a real issue at all but it should not have failed at 1 1/2 year old truck)

2.) The door stills had to be repainted due to rust. Toyota confirmed not enough paint was applied. It was fixed properly and on their dime but I never found NON factory paint jobs to hold up...on the average day car (not show cars). I also have bad paint on the rear plastic piece over the rear window but the clear coat is fine. There are dark botches under the clear coat.

3.) The driver's seat has significant wear in the middle and not near were I keep my wallet. A lot of the stitching has pulled up from the light gray fabric and it just looks bad. I purchased a seat pad to slow the wear down.

4.) Lately I've been getting a whining noise from the rear end at 65 to 70 mph when I let off the gas. (I have researched and most say it's normal which is fine-I never owned a quite toyota truck-but some have had diff failures. This is concerning cause I towing very long distances.

I do love the truck and would buy another in a heartbeat however I am just not sure about this one which I feel was a hungover Friday afternoon build. Am I over thinking the whole situation? I am frustrated because I don't want car payments again but my level of faith isn't very high. Its a mechanic item which over time will always fail but I feel I have had above average failures for a Toyota especially the 4Runner. Just wanted to see what other owners/drivers think... Thank you

WallyT4R and Thatbassguy like this.
  2. Dec 23, 2019 at 9:53 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    My opinion:

You should wait. Those items are not worth giving up on a truck. The ABS wire failing could have been due to a lift install oversight and the diff may not even be an issue. The other two things are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things and easily fixed.

It's looking like the 6th gen will come out in 2022 or 2023. If you trade this one and get a 2021, you might be kicking yourself for not waiting. Wait for the 6th gen to come out, evaluate your situation and decide if you want to trade, and purchase a 6th gen if you like it or get a deal on the remaining 5th gens they are trying to get rid of.

7385, SnowroxKT, WallyT4R and 5 others like this.
  3. Dec 23, 2019 at 12:09 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey`
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Eibach Pro Sport leveling shocks, Firestone airbags, and Baja Design fog lights...
    Thanks nimby, you brought up some good points that I didn’t think of. And I not completely committed to get a new vehicle anytime soon. The truck rides and operates great. I take very good care of it.

nimby[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Dec 23, 2019 at 12:36 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    Issue #3 brings up 2 solutions.
    1. A set of nice seat covers made for our 4runners. I know there are a few brands out there. I don't want to name any because I have no clue on their quality.
    2. Find & replace your seets with a set out of a wrecked vehicle & get the SofTex. This isn't a cheap option but it would be a cool one.

As I drive both a 25 & 15 yr old truck daily I would say that you should build it! The repairs could turn into upgrades & you could come out with one hell of a build. The interest on a new truck alone could pay for a lot of repairs or mods!
    My $0.02,
    Ryan

Tama1968, nimby and Oey12[OP] like this.
  5. Dec 23, 2019 at 12:56 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    i would also wait. i think the 6th gen will come '21/'22. as much as i want a new 2020, i'm okay with my 2016 limited. i just want to see what kind of goodies the 6th gen will have. i'm hoping it's up to date like the options that lexus has.

Thatbassguy and Oey12[OP] like this.
  6. Dec 23, 2019 at 2:29 PM
    rkwfxd

rkwfxd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Whittier - So Cal
    My first thought is yeah, trade it for a new one... but wait. I got a KILLER deal on my 2006 Tundra because the 2007 was a full redesign and just hitting the dealers. If you really love your current Runner, and who doesn't, wait until the 6the gen is out in 18 months or so and scoop up a new 5th at a great price.

Post photos when you do.

toy33 and Thatbassguy like this.
  7. Dec 23, 2019 at 3:00 PM
    Matze

Matze Fremdsprachler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lady Lake, FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner ORP
    I think there will be another facelift before the 6th gen comes out but other than that you’re right

8. Dec 23, 2019 at 3:03 PM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    I traded my 17 Pro for 2020 Pro. If Toyota decides to redesign the 2021 4runner I think it will hurt the 4runner. I have salesman telling me Toyota should have kept the Tacoma same engine instead of changing it. It shifts to much. You might want to wait till it’s out at least 3years. My wife drives Acura and she has had a lot of TL’s. When they redesigned it in 2015 she bought the first year. The transmission sucked.

4Runner fun and Thatbassguy like this.
  9. Dec 23, 2019 at 4:07 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey`
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    A lot of good info here for sure...and who ever changed the title thanks. Ultimately I know it’s better to keep it and I love my truck. To trade a vehicle that is paid off is typically not a financially sound decision and the 5th gen does everything I need it to. Truth be told I am OCD about my vehicles. I maintain them to a high degree but use them as intended as I love to drive. It drives me nuts knowing my truck has been painted for a bad paint job. I have zero need for the latest convenience technology (not talking about safety sense and such). I am very hesitant purchasing any vehicle after a remodel. Facelift...no worries. Sadly I think the 3.5 is going in the 4Runner whether we like it or not. In a lot of ways Toyota is very predictable.

toy33 and Thatbassguy like this.
  10. Dec 23, 2019 at 4:31 PM
    Matze

Matze Fremdsprachler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lady Lake, FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner ORP
    I would be fine with a 3.5 as long it’s a Diesel.
    Toyota sells the land cruiser in Europe only with a 2.8 Diesel Gas isn’t even an option looks like it’s enough to move that thing, but since were in America we deserve bigger!

4Runner fun likes this.
  11. Dec 23, 2019 at 5:14 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I would bet that no American market Toyota is ever getting a diesel. I just don't see it ever happening.

I agree with those who have said to wait. Save your money and wait for the next generation.

Hopefully Toyota will continue to do justice to what the 4runner is. They have the Highlander for the soccer moms, anyway.

12. Dec 23, 2019 at 6:29 PM
    Matze

Matze Fremdsprachler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lady Lake, FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner ORP
    But did you got a idea why that is, why is the diesel so unpopular here?
    I get it when it comes to a noisy and rough Cummins (I know they last)
    But the D4D Toyota are pretty cultivated, so they are not really noisy or rough, bring a lot of torque and that starts at very low rpm, higher mpg etc.
    I drove the Toyota avensis D4D, really nice and when the high torque wouldn’t remind me at every start I would forgot that’s a diesel

13. Dec 23, 2019 at 6:42 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE a small displacement turbo diesel option. Better fuel economy, torque where you really want it, etc.

It just seems like with the complicated new emissions requirements for diesels, I can't picture Toyota putting one out there. Especially with how much R&D they must have put into the 3.5 liter, pseudo Atkins cycle failure they're putting in the Tacos.

The motor is probably fine for most of the market, i suppose. It just seems like a terrible motor for anyone who wants to do any serious towing.

BTW , the Cummins are loud as hell, but definitely not rough! They're never going away because of the ridiculous power they make. And, the fact that they're basically indestructible.

4Runner fun likes this.
  14. Dec 23, 2019 at 6:44 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    Emissions killed every good diesel in America. DEF is cat piss that freezes.
    I own an '04 (the year after the EPA) went crazy on diesels.
    It just isn't provably profitable or feasible. The Nissan Titan with the Cummins is already being discontinued!
    I would love to see a turbo diesel in the T4R but the EPA isn't going to let it happen! I wish

TRDPro916, WallyT4R and Thatbassguy like this.
  15. Dec 23, 2019 at 6:54 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    It's really a shame, IMO. diesels are such excellent motors for the right driver!

My Mom's boyfriend has a "97(I think) Dodge Cummins with around 800k and runs like a dream. His "03 has around 400K and also runs like new.

Matze likes this.
  16. Dec 23, 2019 at 6:57 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    The engine in my '94 Ram runs like a top (250k miles). The truck is falling apart around it but that is MY baby. I have a rustless bed for it. Just need a good year to start a restoration.
    Sorry to hijack the thread!
    :threadjacked:

Matze and Thatbassguy[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Dec 23, 2019 at 7:06 PM
    Matze

Matze Fremdsprachler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lady Lake, FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner ORP
    But here is the deal, the diesel gets cleaner and cleaner, it’s already tested that a new diesel exhaust less fine particles then he is inhaling. The co2 emissions got lower and lower, Bosch just invented a new diesel fuel that is 100% regenerative with low co2 emission and other will follow. I think the only state that’s harsher on emission than the f..ing germans are California.
    Right now VW sell all the pre scandal TDI’s, the fix the ecu and some hardware and sell them for a good deal. The diesel isn’t dead!

BTW: don’t get me wrong, I like the Cummins i just don’t want one in a 4Runner

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    4Runner fun and Thatbassguy like this.
  18. Dec 23, 2019 at 7:14 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I'd love to be wrong on this. I would absolutely love a 4runner with a shitload of torque right from idle and getting 25+ MPG.

Especially for off-roading since I spend most of my time in the lower RPM's while on the trails

It just seems like if Toyota had any interest in pursuing a diesel option, they would have done that instead, in regards to the 3.5.

19. Dec 23, 2019 at 7:20 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    I hope you are correct! The price of a diesel in a 3/4 or 1 ton has increased drastically. Loving diesels (my user name on a diesel forum is Diesel Duo) as much as I do the replacement of the turbo setup on a new 6.7l powerstroke could pay for a rebuild of my 6.0l. Add to that Piezo injections that inject fuel up to 7x per powerstroke (which reduces the diesel chatter) that are insanely expensive. All with ULSD when you diesel needs sulfur for lubrication. I do use Power Services every tank to compensate.
    $75k F-350's is insane!
    Sorry to rant. I love diesels & would love to see one in our T4R'S! Maybe a 4BT swap (I could get 400 hp & 800ft/lb) then break everything!

Thatbassguy likes this.
  20. Dec 23, 2019 at 7:21 PM
    Matze

Matze Fremdsprachler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lady Lake, FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner ORP
    That’s what I don’t get! Maybe they fool with the ecu on there Euro Models like vw did it a few years ago and they’re afraid of getting busted.

Or maybe the marketing department decided that the American market don’t want diesels

21. Dec 23, 2019 at 7:28 PM
    Matze

Matze Fremdsprachler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lady Lake, FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner ORP
  22. Dec 23, 2019 at 7:30 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    They want all Americans to use FlexFuel! That way they don't have to subsidize the corn farmers. In the meantime, you can make diesel fuel from corn oil but that would make us more self sufficient. Even if the biodiesel is used for heating homes or commercial sites...
    It is all political. :evil::facepalm::goingcrazy:

Matze[QUOTED] and Thatbassguy like this.
  23. Dec 23, 2019 at 7:31 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Probably this.

Look how people get so excited about electric vehicles, even when they're still not a great option (at least in many cases), and not environmentally sound.

Honestly, I'll be all about an electric 4runner once the power source equation is solved.

Matze[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Dec 23, 2019 at 7:42 PM
    Matze

Matze Fremdsprachler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lady Lake, FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner ORP
    I could deal with a electric 4Runner too but they have to find a solution for the battery and give the whole concept a real economical small foot print.
    But I think Toyota is forcing the cell fuel, the new Mirai is coming 2021 probably in a more consumer friendly price and Toyota pronounce that’s the route they wanna go.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Dec 23, 2019 at 7:49 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    How well would an electric vehicle work in the cold? I have big questions about this. I don't know about Tesla's but are they common in say Canada or Alaska? I imagine the cold just kills the batteries.
    *Note* I may be completely wrong here. I just know that everything changes when -20° comes! Including gas & diesel vehicles.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  26. Dec 23, 2019 at 7:50 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Agreed! Once the hydrogen fuel cell electric is perfected, I'm all in!

nimby likes this.
  27. Dec 23, 2019 at 8:00 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Thatbassguy, Matze and Oey12[OP] like this.
  28. Dec 23, 2019 at 8:07 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey`
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
  29. Dec 26, 2019 at 8:00 AM
    thirdyota

thirdyota shouldn't be trusted

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    I can relate. It drives me nuts knowing my driver's door has been repainted due to a nasty scratch when it was still brand new.

I have considered trading it, but I tell myself that if I trade, what's to say the new one won't end up needing paint work for some other stupid reason.

I've had several brand new vehicles over the years, and most have had some sort of paint issue...sad but true.

Chasing perfection gets pretty expensive...and nothing will ever be perfect.

Thatbassguy, WallyT4R, nimby and 2 others like this.
  30. Dec 26, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey`
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    You know exactly where I am coming from! And the reality is it that nothing on earth is perfect. Additionally unless it’s a show car/truck it’s going to incur wear and tear. Thanks for your insight...

Products Discussed in

To Top