1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lock-n-Lube for grease gun

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by TrueTexas, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Jan 24, 2023 at 5:31 PM
    TrueTexas

TrueTexas [OP] New Member

Member:
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 Magnetic Grey 4Runner TRD ORP
    For those of you using a Lock-n-Lube (or similar) to grease the driveshaft and ujoint zerks on your 5th gen...

1. Any reason to get the longer one?
    2. If you are using an alternative to the Lock-n-Lube, what are you using and what are your thoughts?

2. Jan 24, 2023 at 5:33 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    I use it works great.

Only issue I have is that it is longer than the traditional fitting. So if the space is tight it may not fit. I don't remember it being and issue on the 4R but my boat had some fitting I couldn't use it on and had to switch.

I have not run into the need for the extended one yet. I would actually want something about half the size.

3. Jan 24, 2023 at 5:42 PM
    TrueTexas

Member:
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    Thanks @Dillusion I am only planning on using it on the grease guns for the 4runner so if the short gets in to the ujoints, I am good to go.

I'm already guilty of scope creep. Decided I wanted to use different grease for the slip yokes vs ujoints so I went shopping for cheap grease guns. Hated what I saw and ended up getting 2 Macnaught k32 grease guns for a little over $100 out the door.

Since I'm in for a penny in for a pound, might as well get some good locking couplers as well. Just want to get ones that work well.

4. Jan 24, 2023 at 5:46 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    I use a cheap Amazon grease gun. I don't see the point in buying expensive ones seeing I don't grease stuff very often.

I used to always have issues getting grease into the zerks on the boat. I'm not sure if its the angle or just the salt corroding the fittings a little but using the lock and lube I got it in where I needed. The fittings I couldn't use the lock and lube are still a PITA.

Would recommend to anyone. Just make sure to keep the other fittings in case the lock and lube doesn't fit into the space.

5. Jan 24, 2023 at 5:55 PM
    TrueTexas

Member:
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    I'm gonna need to buy more things with grease fittings to justify my purchase :D

Unfortunately, everything I have uses a different grease so I'm now at 4 grease guns that I use maybe once a year each.

Products Discussed in

To Top