1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light combo recommendation

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Limited4RunnerOBX, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Nov 30, 2020 at 8:30 PM
    Limited4RunnerOBX

Limited4RunnerOBX [OP] New Member

Member:
    I've been doing some reading but there are a lot of threads and a lot of options so I was hoping for some simple recommendations.

I have a 2012 Limited. My wife will be taking night classes about an hour away and the drive is on poorly lit back roads. It can get very windy/rainy/foggy where we live so I want her to have functional and practical lighting. I am planning to replace the fogs, as well as the low and high beams... probably not all at once.

Personally I like the look of a bright white low and high beam with a yellow fog lamp, but performance is priority. I want her to be able to just run the fogs and lows without blinding oncoming traffic. I want a true fog light, not an off road light. As for brights, they should be hella bright.

I'm not a penny pincher but I'm also not interested in spending 1k on HID, and I definitely want to do the work myself. I've seen the DDSS3 fog lights for $170. That is within my budget. As for headlights, I have read about the H9 conversion which seems like a simple enough install.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, and links to specific threads and/or install guides would be very helpful.

Thanks!!

2. Nov 30, 2020 at 9:45 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    Keep it simple. Don’t blind oncoming traffic. H9s for low beam. 9011 for high beams.
    For fogs, Toyota OEM LED foglights from Amazon, PT413-42190 Fog Light (Chrome). Before installing I applied yellow lamin-x, purchased directly from the manufacturer, sku:T147. It’s a little larger than the lamin-x covers for 4Runner and fits these light perfectly. The fogs and lamin-x both were described as intended for Tundra.

Edit: You may have to verify this fog light for your 2012 Limited. I have an 18ORP. Although, I do see that a reviewer on Amazon said they work in his 2016 Limited.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  3. Nov 30, 2020 at 10:10 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
  4. Dec 1, 2020 at 12:35 AM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    For installing the fog lights here’s an instruction thread. Although there’s an alternate method. The drivers side is easy to install from underneath. The passenger side requires you to unscrew some of the fender liner to reach you’d hand in, remove a splash shield from around the fog. Then replace the cover. The cover is a little tricky to replace.

Post 45018 and forward: Laminex selective yellow covers.
    Put them on fogs before installing them. Toyota Tundra 14+, p/n T147Y.
    https://lamin-x.com/toyota-tundra-14-fog-light-covers.html#reviews

5. Dec 1, 2020 at 12:21 PM
    PAMTB252

PAMTB252 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SJ
    Does anyone know if moving to LED Headlights on my 2020 ORP will stop the Auto-High Beam feature from working? I like that feature and wouldn't want to lose it. Thanks!

6. Jan 1, 2021 at 7:15 PM
    Limited4RunnerOBX

Member:
    Thank you for all of the information! One more question, do you know if I could put a yellow LED in the OEM LED housing? Or is it sealed?

I would really like a yellow fog light but don’t want to have a yellow lense like the DD SS3.

7. Jan 1, 2021 at 7:36 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    If you want to not blind people don’t put an LED bulb in the fog light housing, it has no cutoff and will not improve lighting on the road. It’ll simply be a bright light that blinds people.

8. Jan 1, 2021 at 7:57 PM
    Limited4RunnerOBX

Member:
    I understand that. I was referring to the OEM LED assembly, which is obviously designed for an LED. The problem is, it comes with a white LED and I’d like to swap it out for a yellow one. I’m just trying to figure out if the LED can be taken out of the OEM housing.

9. Jan 1, 2021 at 8:41 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    This is the combo I use on my Limited.

Lowbeam - Headlight Revolution SV4
    Highbeam - Xenon depot Led pro
    Fog - Lasfit 40w LED

(I have much brighter options tested as well. I'm not a sponsored YouTuber. I just share my personal experience. )

https://youtu.be/dlrgTIjW8ek

10. Jan 1, 2021 at 8:51 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I also have GTR Ultra 2 low beams + Headlight Revolution SV4 Highbeam combo that produces really bright light output. Only problem with SV4 is they are too bright as DRLs.

https://youtu.be/ADUV156Rr7c

11. Jan 2, 2021 at 4:54 AM
    Limited4RunnerOBX

Member:
    Thank kmeeg I enjoy your videos. I plan to do all the interior LEDs based on seeing your video about that.

I have a 2012 Limited so no projector housing in my headlights. Therefor I’ve stuck with modified H9 halogens up to this point and they are great.

I’m thinking the same thing for the fogs. There are a lot of deer where I live and we get a ton of fog and rain in the winter. I’m looking for performance and a bright white LED in the stock fog light housing is not going to work (even though it might look cool).

What I really want to do is put a yellow LED into a housing that is designed for LED, like the OEM ones from the pro. This gets me a yellow beam without the yellow lense look, which I don’t care for. The only problem is that I want to confirm what kind of LED comes with the pro housing and if it can be removed.

kmeeg and Rainier42 like this.
  12. Jan 2, 2021 at 9:03 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I'm keeping my eye on Baja Design ones with wire harness so I can turn on fogs even when my highbeams are on.
    I also ordered Nilight pod lights from Amazon. They are very low priced and want to give it a try to see if they are any good.

13. Jan 2, 2021 at 9:07 AM
    wmdtech

wmdtech Send MOD Money!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Mid TN
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD ORP
    275/70r17 KO2 Eibach Stage 1 JBA UCAs

Products Discussed in

To Top