1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift suggestions to run 33's

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by SwampDonkey62, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Jul 6, 2017 at 11:11 AM
    SwampDonkey62

SwampDonkey62 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner-Limited-Locker
    i want to run 33's on my 3rd gen looking for a 3" lift but having 0 luck. I have no idea what I need all I know is what I want. Any help is much appreciated!

2. Jul 6, 2017 at 12:23 PM
    brochacho

brochacho New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sequoia TRD Sport
    Really depends on what you want to do with your rig...Is it a pavement princess, rock crawler, weekend warrior, overland/expedition, occasional forest service roads? Disclaimer: All the info below is for a 5th gen but I don't think there is much of a difference...

Here are some options I outlined for another member a while back:

1.Spacers- Not recommend but many folks report they work just fine. They are cheap, but if used off road extensively can cause damage, ride quality will suffer as well.

2. Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustable shocks. You can set the front shocks to gain .85, 1.75, or 2.5 inches of lift using stock coils. At 1.75" lift in front you will be sitting just about level at the fenders, but will have slight reverse rake at the body. If you go to 2.5" you will need to either get lift springs for the rear or spacers. This set up will run you around $400-600. The higher you go the stiffer the ride will be due to preloading the factory coils. (looks like for a 99' 4Runners you only get the option of 1.25" lift for leveling or 2.5" lift)

3. Also utilizing 5100 shocks you can get some taller front coil springs to gain lift. Toytec, Wheelers, Old Man Emu make 1.6"-3" lift coils. This will add about $170-$200 to first option. This will make for a better ride due to your are not preloading your factory coil springs.

4. Ride height adjustable coilovers. Many different brands to choose from (Icon, Toytec, Fox, King..) but they are all going to run from about $1000-$3000 just for the front. These are a nice option because you can change the ride height while they are installed on the vehicle from 0-3" without removing the entire coilover assembly. This option will also give you the best ride and off road performance.

You will also need to take into account that when you do a lift you may need to add some after market upper control arms (UCA's) in order to keep you factory alignment in spec. In general most people can stay within factory specs with stock UCA's as long as you keep the lift under 2.5", but ever vehicle is different and even a 1" lift may require them. They run from $450-$1500 a pair. will be able to help you out, great company with very helpful staff.

GPSevinSixx and Bob like this.
  3. Jul 6, 2017 at 12:24 PM
    SwampDonkey62

SwampDonkey62 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner-Limited-Locker
    Wow thanks exactly what I needed! Much appreciated!

ramonortiz55 and brochacho like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top