1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leased mods

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by staceydrew2k, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Jun 30, 2021 at 9:49 PM
    MountainMan

MountainMan New Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner MountainMan Edition
    The 4Runner is a body-on-frame SUV with nearly indestructible drivetrain components that make it especially capable off-road. Those same components also make it ride much worse, get horrible gas mileage, and be inferior to almost every other SUV as a daily commuter.

People that buy 4Runners do so knowing that they are trading off gas mileage, comfort, and road manners for increasing ability and durability off-road.

Making/buying a 2wd 4Runner takes away the only advantage it has over other SUVs in it's class.

It's like the soccer moms driving $60k F-150 supercrew pickups to take their two kids to soccer practice and get groceries when a small SUV or minivan would work better and be cheaper. City folks are strange.

2. Jul 1, 2021 at 3:24 AM
    VentureTRD

VentureTRD New Member

Member:
    Blowing Rock, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Venture Nautical Blue Metallic
    Goodyear DuraTrac Tires P265/70R17 AEM Air Filter TRD Radiator Cap TRD Pro Leather Shift Knob TRD Pro Rubber Floor Mats Agency 6 Recovery Shackle Lamin-x Amber Fog Light Covers Red LED Interior Lights LasFit LED Turn Signals
    I've leased a lot of Toyotas over the years. Now I own it.

For a leased vehicle, I'd say anything you can easily removed, and returned to stock, nothing being drilled. Examples: Performance Air Filter, Interior LED Lights, Exterior LED Bulb Upgrades, Console Tray, Screw On Front Badging, etc. I also kept all the original light bulbs and air filter, that I removed, because I had them ask for the original fog light bulbs once. If in doubt, keep whatever you took off so that it can be put back on.

Tires upgrades are OK, as long as they are the stock size. The leasing contract says must have 4 tires in good condition (check actual wording). I used to keep the original stock tires under the house and put them back on when the lease was over. That way they got their original brand new tires back and everyone was happy.

I once got dinged by the Toyota Leasing Inspection person for having a vinyl window sticker ($50 fine), which was my employer parking pass. It took 2 seconds pull off, but over a week to resolve, including having to send Toyota Leasing photos of the window with the parking sticker missing. Totally stupid!!!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    staceydrew2k[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 1, 2021 at 4:33 AM
    y=mx+b

y=mx+b New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 v6 4wd
    Toyota did actually do that lol. The Toyota 1-ton was a 1-ton dually version of the toyota pickup. I believe it came optioned with the 2.4L 22re or the 3.slow 3vz-fe

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  4. Jul 1, 2021 at 5:33 AM
    ToyoTaco25

ToyoTaco25 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blizzard Pearl Limited
    My first mod would be to get rid/out of the lease.

staceydrew2k[OP] and y=mx+b like this.
  5. Jul 1, 2021 at 7:26 AM
    VentureTRD

VentureTRD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Goodyear DuraTrac Tires P265/70R17 AEM Air Filter TRD Radiator Cap TRD Pro Leather Shift Knob TRD Pro Rubber Floor Mats Agency 6 Recovery Shackle Lamin-x Amber Fog Light Covers Red LED Interior Lights LasFit LED Turn Signals
    Toyota also made a 2WD model of the FJ Cruiser. They didn't sell too many.

6. Jul 1, 2021 at 10:23 AM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Get your head out from under the rock not everyone buys a SUV to go off road. Why do they buy it? because they can.

7. Jul 2, 2021 at 8:37 AM
    staceydrew2k

staceydrew2k [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marq
    Alabama/Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Still loading...
    Wow! Great story and information about saving all the original bulbs and such. I’m looking to upgrade the wheels in January and I’ll add the lighting in the grill and possibly the fogs, depending on how much trouble it’ll be to install them. I’ll need to be able to take everything off and back to original fairly quick so that I don’t have something that has to go to a shop. Thank you again for that tid bit of info

8. Jul 2, 2021 at 12:41 PM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    I lived in the south ages ago, apparently that’s a thing down there.

I think Southeast Toyota and Gulf States Toyota sell like 99% of them.

9. Jul 3, 2021 at 12:00 PM
    VentureTRD

VentureTRD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Living in the southeast, but where it snows in North Carolina, it's often difficult to find 4x4 vehicles through Southeast Toyota. Our small Toyota town dealer snaps up everything they can get in 4x4, but often can't get enough of them, due to their dealer allocation limits. My last two 4x4 purchases were over the mountain in Eastern Tennessee, where they have no problems finding anything in 4X4 because they are in the Kentucky/Michigan Toyota dealer network.

10. Jul 3, 2021 at 1:37 PM
    Taco4R

Taco4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD ORP Classic Silver Metallic
    Leasing my 4Runner (which I will trade for another 4Runner or buy at lease end) and the only mod I plan on doing is tires. If you know you'll be buying it out then it makes no difference, you are basically renting to own so it doesn't matter,

However if you plan on returning it or trading it in (which is much wiser) be careful what you mod. Buyers don't want modded to hell 4Runners. Keep it clean and classy. OEM upgrades and tires are fine.

VentureTRD likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top