1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Krown Rustproofing Update - Year 2 Report

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by rickystl, May 10, 2023.

1. May 10, 2023 at 1:16 PM
    rickystl

rickystl [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD/Off-Road Premium
    Subject: 2021 4R/TRD.ORP/MR
    Earlier today I took the 4R in to Krown for it's annual application. This was the third trip. Past applications were:
    May, 2021 - 600 miles.
    May, 2022 - 13,000 miles. (previously posted here on the Forum)
    May, 2023 - 17,500 miles. (I retired in January, 2022. So I no loner have the daily commute)

Here are some pics of the under carriage after two years. These pics were taken just before applying the third application. No real, visible rust that I can find. Not even on the bolt heads.

This past winter was very mild in my area. Almost no snow (and thus very little salt) on the streets. Previous winter (21/22) at least two heavier, 7"/8" snows with salt everywhere.
    Included is occasional, light off-road driving (logging trails and similar).

So even though this past winter was very mild, I'm still impressed with the results.

001 (Medium).jpg 002 (Medium).jpg 003 (Medium).jpg 004 (Medium).jpg 005 (Medium).jpg 001 (Medium).jpg 002 (Medium).jpg 003 (Medium).jpg 004 (Medium).jpg 005 (Medium).jpg

2. May 10, 2023 at 2:45 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    That looks really Ricky. Do they cover the painted areas of the main body when they apply this? Have you had an issue with any of this getting in the paint?

The Krown by me says they just power wash but it seems like that would be hard to get off a painted surface. Just curious as to your thoughts ?

3. May 11, 2023 at 8:47 AM
    rickystl

rickystl [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    Hi Mac

I've never been able to detect any over-spray on the outside of the vehicle. They also do the inside of the doors. A very small hole with a plug on the inner edge of each door. And since it goes on clear, they go under the hood and do the firewall and inner fenders. It has no effect on electrical wiring or components.
    The power wash they do on the outside is more like a hand wash using power wands. And they do it immediately after the application. Apparently, the treatment does not dry immediately as they ask you to eliminate going to automatic type car washes for one week. I had them add the Salt Eliminator wash for the outside since it was half-price ($20.00) when you get the full application ($140.00). You will notice after driving and getting out of the vehicle a slight burning smell from a small amount of over-spray on exhaust parts. But this goes away in 2/3 days.

By now, I probably sound like a salesman for Krown. LOL But so far, in the last two years, I've had a good experience. And I figure the reasonable cost and 1 1/2 hours time once a year is worth the effort. Especially since we all know about the frame rusting issues with 4Runners.

In a couple weeks I will do a general detail and wax and power buff.

4. May 11, 2023 at 9:23 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Good info thanks Ricky.

I know that Krown I think is initially from Canada and I read about it when the border was closed when the pandemic started as I live close to the border. Subsequently a shop opened up in Michigan but I personally don’t know much about it. They rented some space in an industrial building.

I went the fluid film route for now but who knows if I will change. I am glad your experience has been good.

I had also investigated traditional rust proofing at a collision shop that was treating new Tacoma frames for the recall. They sounded good but it was a $900 quote and the fluid film just seemed more popular.

It is unfortunate the frames are such a weakness on these things. I would like to drive mine year round or have another to use in winter but the salt up here is just awful. For my everyday car an Accord I go through a wash several times per week in the winter and wipe it all down. I look at one or two yo 4Rs up here and the hitches are all rust, frames starting to rust and screw heads in wheel wells. It’s a shame after just one winter.

Keep us posted on your Krown this is good info. Thanks for the post

5. May 17, 2023 at 11:20 AM
    Gun Runner

Gun Runner New Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium
    I am from michigan as well. Are you referring to the place in St. Clair Mi.?

6. May 17, 2023 at 11:58 AM
    Taco4R

Taco4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD ORP Classic Silver Metallic
    I can't quite tell - does yours have KDSS? if so how are those components holding up and how much product did they use?

7. May 17, 2023 at 12:05 PM
    rickystl

rickystl [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    Mine does not have KDSS. I don't know how much product they used. But the job only takes about 1 1/2 hours. You can wait for it. They have a TV screen in the waiting room you can watch as they work.

8. May 17, 2023 at 12:43 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Hey Gun Runner I was referring to the one in Rochester Hills is all I knew of at the time.

I ended up getting fluid film at Motor City Auto Spa in Royal Oak. They have been great. I got that done, windows tinted and also Xpel PPF. I highly recommend if ever looking for a place.

9. May 17, 2023 at 1:24 PM
    Gun Runner

Gun Runner New Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium
    Hey cool thanks mac.

mac1usa[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top