1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Knock/thunk over bumps in cold weather

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by dmusic1996, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Apr 7, 2021 at 7:07 AM
    dmusic1996

dmusic1996 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    2014 Toyota 4Runner limited with X-REAS suspension. I have a knocking sound coming from the drivers side front suspension that only happens in cold weather. As soon as temps go above say, 60 degrees, the noise is gone. Thoughts?

2. Apr 7, 2021 at 7:26 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Sway bar bushings might be getting worn. Those usually quiet down in warm weather because they expand and get a little softer.

Also could be bad wheel bearing, or worn ball joints on a control arm, or steering ball joint. Although, any of these I would expect to hear in warm weather. I suppose xreas may have interesting ways to fail which may make a noise, but I wouldn’t know.

checking bearings and ball joints is easy enough. Raise front on jackstands. Put hands on top of front tire. Push in and pull back on top of tire. If there is any slop something is bad. Look to see where slop originates. If you can see the ball joints move, thats tge problem. If they dont, then it’s the bearing.

Products Discussed in

To Top