1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

KDSS, yes or no?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Bitman, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Oct 7, 2018 at 4:37 AM
    Bitman

Bitman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Looking at two new 2018 4Runners. Off road models.
    One has the KDSS and the other doesn't.
    Which would you choose and why?
    Thanks.

2. Oct 7, 2018 at 5:54 AM
    ruiz4251

ruiz4251 "but it was funny huh?"

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    ICON custom stage 6 3"; 33's; gobi rack; SSO bumper; SSO high clearance; Rigid lights; 10k X2o winch; AFe intake; brola cat back; tint; aftermarket sound; opor sliders; pedal commander, viper smart start mobile tracker, Canvasback Liner; Rago rear window molles; victory 4x4 center console molle; cbi front skid steel; cbi aluminum tran skid; rci fuel aluminum skid; rci dif skid; rago rear shock skids; rci lower link skids; tenton workshop shift knob; yoga shop grenade trans knob;alpha rex headlights; USR blacked out tails; USR turns to turns; blacked out sequential mirror turn
    kdss takes some guess work out of some stuck situations. if you know or have experience with sand/mud you know how much a pain in the a$$ it can be sometimes. that being said if you have the experience and plan on lift and accessories then I would think no kdss is a good option.
    me, I went with kdss because i got an AWESOME deal. it's fun to use but to be honest I've never really have had to use it.

3. Oct 7, 2018 at 7:53 AM
    4X4Runner

4X4Runner The Anti Pro, Pro! Staff Member

Member:
    The left coast
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner Smashed Ass Edition
    Mad driver mod. OME Suspension. 285/70R17 BFG AT KO2
    I’m not sure you’re talking about KDSS and are more thinking the crawl control or multi terrain select.

KDSS is the hydraulic linked sway bar system that offers a little more articulation off road and better on road manners.

@Bitman I have KDSS and I don’t think I’d buy a 4Runner without it after having it on my previous 2010 Trail Edition. To each their own and to some the added cost isn’t worth it.

Here is a video on KDSS.
    https://youtu.be/NLF6n3nMwww

4. Oct 7, 2018 at 7:54 AM
    4X4Runner

Member:
    The left coast
    Vehicle:
    You can also lift and have larger diameter tires with KDSS, on my second 4R that’s lifted with tires

jgcaps likes this.
  5. Oct 7, 2018 at 8:28 AM
    rkwfxd

rkwfxd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Whittier - So Cal
    KDSS was a must have for me on my 18 ORP. I do go off road but 99% on my miles are on-road and the KDSS helps the Runner turn better and flatter. I'm a bit aggressive on the street sometimes as I drive with a purpose so the flatter turning is a plus. I will be lifting my rig and when I raise the center of gravity I think I will really see the benefit of KDSS. Also, my off roading is generally slow, if I spent a lot of time blasting fire roads and whoops I would have not gone with KDSS as I believe a no KDSS is smoother in those situations.

Having said all of this, I believe you can "tune" a non-KDSS Runner with new shocks and springs to get the ride and cornering that you want.

olliechristoper likes this.
  6. Oct 7, 2018 at 2:55 PM
    Dreaded_Marauder

Dreaded_Marauder New Member

Member:
    I went against kdss on my offroad simply because I didn’t want to deal with a fluid sway bar system. I worked as a tech for Porsche and they have a similar system and it had its issues. I bought my 4 runner to be like an older vehicle. Obviously the hydraulic/electric brake booster is gonna be an expensive system to replace if it ever goes out. I’ve seen one replaced in real life without a warranty and it was like 3k. Anyhoo to me it was just something that could offer me issues and I didn’t want to deal with it in the long run. Is it cool, definitely. Just not my thing.

java likes this.
  7. Oct 7, 2018 at 5:22 PM
    HarveyElmore

HarveyElmore New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harvey
    Vehicle:
    Offroad TRD 17'
    KDSS is used every time your go around a corner, curve, hill, etc....Love it or hate it , it works very well for what it is designed for. I have enjoyed mine but I also don't want to lift my 17' even though it can be done very easy.

8. Oct 7, 2018 at 5:50 PM
    DrewMan

DrewMan 2016 4RTP-KDSS

Member:
    Middle Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Grey 4Runner Trail Premium
    Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, Daystar 1.5" Rear Coil Spacer (Mid Left), Level 8 Tracker Pros 17x9, 275/70/R17 B.F. Goodrich TKO's, N-Fab Nerf Steps
    I purchased new & own a 2016 4R Trail Premium w/ KDSS ($2,700 option back then) and just last year I did what is referred to as a mid lift (2”) that consisted of installing Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks w/ Daystar 1.5" Rear Spacers, used stock coils, adjusted front to keep factory rack and installed BFG AT KO’s LT275 /70 R17 … Couldn’t be more happier on/off road, handles great and drives smooth!

arnette64 likes this.
  9. Oct 7, 2018 at 6:16 PM
    jester243

jester243 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium w/ KDSS
    I changed some lights, tires and tinted windows...mind blowing huh
    after having KDSS for a while i would absolutely get it again

10. Oct 8, 2018 at 1:52 AM
    Bitman

Bitman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the replies. I'm still undecided.

11. Oct 8, 2018 at 6:42 AM
    jgcaps

jgcaps Lovin the Colorado Life.!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM TRD ORP KDSS 4Runner
    3" Icon Stage 2, 18x9 Fuel Beast wheels, 285/65/18 BFG KO2's, N-FAB Black Rock Rails w/removable steps.
    I absolutely love what does KDSS does for the street manors of the rig as well as the off road increased articulation. Noticeable difference.

rkwfxd and jester243 like this.
  12. Oct 8, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    Kyblack76

Kyblack76 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Layton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD O.R
    I'd think it would be cool, more on road. Curve, turns, and such. It has to help with a comfy drive.
    That said, I opted NOT for it, just because i know i dont need it, waste of my money, for me. Just something else to go wrong or break, which i dont think happens often, if at all. But, it was just to fancy for my needs. But, if you got it,... get it. Why not. People successfully lift them errryday with no issues. It's got to help make the drive a pillowy mother. Its gotta ...

Dreaded_Marauder and jgcaps like this.
  13. Oct 8, 2018 at 9:21 AM
    topdec

topdec New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 4R ORP CSM 2023 Tundra LTD ORP. 2016 4R TE (sold)
    I wish I bought a 2016 Trail with KDSS, but this option wasn't on the vehicles already in-transit at that time and the non-KDSS vehicle was cheaper.

The non-KDSS trail can turn well on the street, but it takes practice. For me a lot of it is about how smoothly I need to be when lifting my foot off the gas pedal, transitioning to the brake pedal, and back again to the gas pedal when I go thru a corner. This is to smoothly transfer weight to and load the front suspension that is not the stiffest because it is meant for dual purpose (on and offroad). It's a compromise. Also, smooth doesn't mean slow.

If I had to do it again, I'd get one with KDSS.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    jester243 and jgcaps like this.
  14. Oct 8, 2018 at 11:40 AM
    tuc4r

tuc4r New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R TRD ORP
    2018 4Runner ORP W/KDSS - ADS coil overs, ADS remote resi rear shocks, Total Chaos UCA's, Icon 2' rear springs, Nitto Ridge Grapplers, FN FX PRO wheels, AVID rock sliders, RCI Aluminum front skid, Bussman Fuse/Relay module, Canvas backs, Accessorides remote start, Rago Mole Panels, HID low beams, LED high beams, Morimoto XB fogs, Ceramic window tint, Ecotechne roof rack,
    I love KDSS. I did have the KDSS lean after the install of my lift, but was able to resolve it.

jester243 likes this.
  15. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:47 AM
    Trail2016

Trail2016 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail
    i have KDSS on my 2016 trail (stock suspension) and am considering getting a 2020 Pro. Do you think the Fox suspension will generate about the same result for driving comfort that the KDSS system did? Thanks in advance for any advice.

jgcaps likes this.
  16. Jan 27, 2020 at 5:00 PM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    Both of my runners never had kdss but my pro rides good enough my 83 year old mom complimented how nice the ride is. She bitched about climbing in but likes the ride

WallyT4R, KSJ08, jgcaps and 2 others like this.
  17. Jan 27, 2020 at 5:34 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    I don't think so.

Rode in my friends SR5 with Fox. While the suspension is nice is still doesn't compare to one with KDSS.

jgcaps, DrewMan and 4Runner fun like this.
  18. Feb 2, 2020 at 9:25 AM
    Getsum

Getsum New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD ORP
    I test drove both options and purchased the model WITH KDSS. Noticable difference to me with nose dive as well as all around road manners.

19. Feb 2, 2020 at 9:51 AM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    I think a few people are confused about KDSS and what it does for on-road driving. It doesn't make the suspension cushier or smoother, all models have the exact same coils and shocks with the exception of the Limited and Pro.

What KDSS does is make cornering flatter and more stable at speed, since it uses thicker sway bars than other models. This would normally be a detriment to off-road articulation, but the KDSS system uses unfixed mounting points. The sway bars attach to hydraulic pistons, which relax and decouple automatically at speeds below 12 mph. This is not quite like disconnecting the sway bars, but the end result is similar.

Thatbassguy and SKT_07 like this.
  20. Feb 3, 2020 at 4:09 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Good pick, Getsum! It’s hard on a test to pin point a difference like that. It’s hard to separate out all the noise and find what’s real. You did it. Once you really start driving, and occasionally at high speeds passing, merging, cloverleaf, super-elevated bridges etc., you’ll be really happy with your decision. A 4 Runner with KDSS handles pretty well at high speeds. Much, much better than you’d think from an off road vehicle. We’re lucky that Toyota makes a vehicle like this in 2020.

WallyT4R and Thatbassguy like this.
  21. Feb 3, 2020 at 4:50 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    True! Mine is surprisingly comfortable at 90 MPH, not that I would ever cruise at that speed...:spy:

At 100 or so, it starts to feel a little sketchy though.

:burnrubber:

22. Feb 3, 2020 at 5:33 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Haha, mine too.

23. Feb 3, 2020 at 7:46 PM
    Getsum

Getsum New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD ORP
    Thanks. I was debating between both options. I do plan on adding a lift when it comes time to servicing the suspension so it's in the cards but no rush. Test driving both options and noticing the difference made it a no brainer for me. Love the rig and ive put it through its paces but i do have a "whining" sound im trying to identify. See my reply to another thread...

24. Feb 3, 2020 at 8:14 PM
    Gyoaz

Gyoaz Garyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    5th gen 4runner TE
    Diff breather, Camburg UCAs, dobinsons 3" lift, front n’ rear steel, RTT, scuba exuiped, OBA, and some lights
    This video is pretty informative. How does the KDSS know when to dampen and when to loosen? I just got a 2015 TE w/KDSS about 3 weeks ago and I just lifted it 3".

25. Feb 3, 2020 at 8:37 PM
    4X4Runner

Member:
    The left coast
    Vehicle:
    Physics. Newton’s 1st and 3rd laws.

26. Feb 3, 2020 at 8:43 PM
    Gyoaz

Gyoaz Garyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    5th gen 4runner TE
    Diff breather, Camburg UCAs, dobinsons 3" lift, front n’ rear steel, RTT, scuba exuiped, OBA, and some lights
    Seems like if it was that simple there wouldn't need to be a computer involved. Wait... is there a computer involved?

27. Feb 3, 2020 at 9:51 PM
    4X4Runner

Member:
    The left coast
    Vehicle:
    Appears there is a control computer for it. I would assume this is so it’s controlled at a speed, hence the 12mph functionality of it.

In the KDSS (Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System), a cylinder is installed to each of the front and rear stabilizer bars. The front and rear cylinder upper chambers and the front and rear lower chambers are each connected by a pipe. The hydraulic circuit is filled with high-pressure suspension fluid. The stabilizer control ECU controls the stabilizer control solenoid valves according to input signals from sensor.

Stabilizer Control ECU's function:

Closes the stabilizer control solenoid valves according to input signals from the sensor to cut the fluid flow to the accumulators.

Turns on the KDSS indicator light in the combination meter to inform the driver when an abnormality is detected in the KDSS. When this happens, a DTC is stored.

28. Feb 20, 2020 at 3:44 PM
    TRDPro916

TRDPro916 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Pro
    Currently stock; MODS coming soon.
    So....people who have KDSS love it and have no regrets. People who don’t have it, don’t want it and can live without it. Test drive both and see what you like better.

29. Feb 20, 2020 at 5:30 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Those without just can't admit it enough to drive one with. :)

RUNNER4DAN, DrewMan and jgcaps like this.
  30. Feb 28, 2020 at 5:33 PM
    Georgia Native

Georgia Native New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR Prem and 2017 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    No kdss. Just one more thing to fail. Also a pain to work around.

TRDPro916 and travelinscout like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top