1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just installed Morimoto XB LED fogs

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by ckon, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Jul 2, 2018 at 2:23 PM
    ckon

ckon [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    SE Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver TRD ORP w/KDSS
    Tinted front windows | Hard-wired radar detecter | Heritage grille | Bumper, wheelwell and mudflap mod | 285/70 Nitto Grapplers | Plasti-Dipped valances, rack rails and logos | Replace all interior lamps w/LEDs | XenonDepot HIDs | Salex console and glove box organizers | RCI aluminum skid plate | Sprint Booster | Bilstein 5100 Shocks - Leveled @ .85 |
    20180702_171103.jpg

Hi, folks,
    I've been interested in these fog lights for some time now and decided to bite the bullet. They arrived today and were a little troublesome to install and I wondered if anyone else has had the same experience.

There were a few problems, mostly minor, but the one that's still bugging me is that I can't get the pattern on the driver's side adjusted to be properly horizontal. I don't know if I've made an error or if the units just don't fit very well, but I'd like to do what I consider a good install. Morimoto seems not to respond to their emails in a timely manner, so I'm asking any of you guys (and gals) if you've had a similar problem and discovered the cause.

Thanx in advance for any responses.

2. Jul 2, 2018 at 2:48 PM
    CollinJ

CollinJ TRD Off-Road

Member:
    South NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Premium
    Bilstein TRD Pro Suspension - TRD skid plate - TRD CAI - AFE Pro Dry Filter - 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2’s - LFD Off-Rod roof bars - Ellis Percision Shift knobs - Canvasback Cargo Liner - Blackout Emblems - Diode Dynamics interior LEDs
    @Daria just put some in hers. I wonder if she had the same problems?

3. Jul 2, 2018 at 2:55 PM
    jester243

jester243 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium w/ KDSS
    I changed some lights, tires and tinted windows...mind blowing huh
    do you have a pic of the alignment, I'm just curious how they look

4. Jul 2, 2018 at 3:01 PM
    ckon

ckon [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    SE Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Tinted front windows | Hard-wired radar detecter | Heritage grille | Bumper, wheelwell and mudflap mod | 285/70 Nitto Grapplers | Plasti-Dipped valances, rack rails and logos | Replace all interior lamps w/LEDs | XenonDepot HIDs | Salex console and glove box organizers | RCI aluminum skid plate | Sprint Booster | Bilstein 5100 Shocks - Leveled @ .85 |
    Thanx, I'll check with her.

5. Jul 2, 2018 at 3:03 PM
    ckon

ckon [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    SE Michigan
    Vehicle:
    I'll try to take some tonight after dark. The left beam is just cocked CCW and might not even be noticeable in the dark on the road, but the projection on the garage wall during install just looked WRONG.

jester243[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jul 2, 2018 at 6:53 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    That is strange. I've had mine installed for over a year now without an issue. The beam pattern is very flat on mine. Any other info you can provide?

7. Jul 2, 2018 at 7:09 PM
    ckon

ckon [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    SE Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Not that I can think of. I've racked my brain to find if I did something wrong or if I got the wrong part number, but I can't think of anything else. I wonder if possibly there was a running change by Toyota that's screwing me up. Here's a pic of the left side unit I took out. Notice the staggered tabs on the left. The replacements are squared not staggered.

IMG_1583.jpg

8. Jul 3, 2018 at 4:23 AM
    ckon

ckon [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    SE Michigan
    Vehicle:
    I found the problem. I pulled the bad unit out and found that it hadn't been assembled properly. There's a pair of pivots on the body that allow raising and lowering the beam and one side was not seated. Popped it into position and the beam fell into place. All is good. Thanx for your help folks! :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    rsimi72, jgcaps, scottalot and 3 others like this.
  9. Nov 29, 2018 at 11:08 PM
    Mike47

Mike47 New Member

Member:
    How did you get them to fit so well? I have a large gap between the lights and black shroud piece. Did you do a lot of trimming?

10. Nov 30, 2018 at 6:17 AM
    ckon

ckon [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    SE Michigan
    Vehicle:
    It's been a while but I seem to remember an issue with the fit of the tabs for the screws not aligning properly and using a little force inserting and tightening the screws. YMMV. Good luck. :)

scottalot likes this.
  11. Nov 30, 2018 at 8:48 AM
    Mike47

Mike47 New Member

Member:
    Shoot. I tried forcing. The screw tabs weren’t close at all. I’ll take another look but I have an inch gap. Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top