1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just bought a 2003 T4R SR5 V8

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by SuthrnT4R, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Dec 9, 2016 at 7:58 AM
    UssMoGn

UssMoGn That Vegas Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    1996 TaCoRunner
    Extented Coil Lift. Custom bumpers
    Oh fuck and you threw some blackies on! :bananadead::headbang:

SuthrnT4R[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  2. Dec 9, 2016 at 7:59 AM
    UssMoGn

UssMoGn That Vegas Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    1996 TaCoRunner
    Extented Coil Lift. Custom bumpers
    Are you going to back to black or paint those plastics?

3. Dec 9, 2016 at 8:11 AM
    bahndrvr

bahndrvr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Melbourne, Fl
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 V8 4Runner
    2003 4Runner SR5 v8 - Temp Front: Top hat spacer 2.5" on Tacoma struts/springs Rear: TJM/King heavy extended Tacoma shocks 315 BFG AT KO2's (35's) Thrush Welded muffler and rear watermelon delete with turned exit K&N drop in, and extra filter delete Strengthened/Welded passenger side front diff mount Front diff drop - due to the top hat spacer and massive droop.... Scion headunit CB Other stuff done, 6th 4Runner:)
    Don't do back to black as they are nowhere near black, do a heatgun treatment on them after a good wash and then you can use some good products in them if you want but I haven't had to add anything since my heatgun passes! Looks great and only thing I can say about the moog rears is they are supposedly really good. It don't have the same rust protection so paint them!!!! Looks great hope to get my tires soon, basically the only reason I haven't hit up any of the harder trails :/

4. Dec 9, 2016 at 8:29 AM
    SuthrnT4R

SuthrnT4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    2003 T4R SR5 V8 4WD
    Not sure yet... They were never black to begin with so not sure.

Heat gun method???

5. Dec 14, 2016 at 7:16 AM
    bahndrvr

bahndrvr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Melbourne, Fl
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 V8 4Runner
    2003 4Runner SR5 v8 - Temp Front: Top hat spacer 2.5" on Tacoma struts/springs Rear: TJM/King heavy extended Tacoma shocks 315 BFG AT KO2's (35's) Thrush Welded muffler and rear watermelon delete with turned exit K&N drop in, and extra filter delete Strengthened/Welded passenger side front diff mount Front diff drop - due to the top hat spacer and massive droop.... Scion headunit CB Other stuff done, 6th 4Runner:)
    Oops just seeing this, yeap 9 dollar heat gun from harbor freight been using it for years. Did it on my Runner about 3 weeks ago maybe more now - hold it about 4-6 inches away from your cladding, and continually move it. You will need some good light for this and you will be AMAZED! your actually burning off the top layer of dried out cladding, and then it feels almost tacky for a bit. When doing it in good light you will see it start to melt a bit, and you will notice a silver flake in the plastic, that's when you move on a bit. Took me around 90 minutes to do the whole truck. It's on my build thread on t4r name is vandert over there. I am sure there are youtube how too's on this but I used to drive old VW MK2's with the plastic cladding so have been doing this since the late 1990's lol.

SuthrnT4R[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Apr 5, 2017 at 9:51 AM
    bahndrvr

bahndrvr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Melbourne, Fl
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 V8 4Runner
    So whats the review on the tires after 4 months of use? I still haven't ordered tires and now am thinking I want to do my lowr control arm bushings and alignment AGAIN as my bushing are shot and making noise now. At this point 90 bucks for the energy suspension poly lower's are worth it as I did the moog lower ball joints last fall.

I still want to go to 35's but may end up getting a set of 285/70s and running them till they die nd then go to 35's, at that point should be able to have another vehicle and the jump to 35's won't kill my budget...

How are the tires wearing, any cupping? Noise level? how did they do in the weather sicne you got them?

I'm on the fence about going full mud tire and getting tops 30k miles out of them or getting these and getting 40+k out of them as the thirst for 35's is real:)

SuthrnT4R[OP] likes this.
  7. Sep 28, 2017 at 2:14 PM
    SuthrnT4R

SuthrnT4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    2003 T4R SR5 V8 4WD

I'll be honest dude! These are some of the best tires I've owned! SMOOTH and about 12K on them already.. We had a light winter so I didn't get to test them, as far as general use and offroad use.. Surprisingly GREAT off road, good grip even in hard or soft dirt and on the road, as quiet as an AT can get I would assume. My wife's highway tires on her civic are louder! LOL! 10 out of 10 would buy again!

Bob likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top