1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Junk or not

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Flolideu, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Aug 23, 2018 at 6:39 AM
    Flolideu

Flolideu [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Florian
    Vehicle:
    1998 4Runner black
    Good morning community, I got the bad news this morning from a small independent mechanic who appears very good based on online reviews that my 1998 4Runner is junk.

The overall reason he gave me is that the car is rotten on the bottom.

The immediate reason to have it looked at was that the car started leaking brake fluid on a recent trip and the reservoir is empty now. When I refill it, it immediately leaks out all the brake fluid again. The mechanic told me that the brake lines are rotten and it would be too extensive and costly to replace them and he would not be able to make it a safe car so I should call a junk yard and have it towed, I might get a few hundred bucks for it but he considers it junk. He urged me to not put any money into that car. It has 160.000 miles on it, otherwise drives fine, had the clutch replaced 2-3 years ago (5-speed) and the exhaust was welded a couple of times due to rust.

Anybody thinks I should get a second opinion or do you agree that it is junk and I should get rid of it?

Thanks for weighing in.

2. Aug 23, 2018 at 8:11 AM
    MattO2786

MattO2786 New Member

Member:
    Cleveland, OH
    Vehicle:
    Former 18 OR and 18 Limited Owner
    All depends on your financial situation. 20 year old vehicles with rust or rotting problems aren’t going to magically get better. Sounds like you’ll just continue to throw money into it. Having a car payment sucks, but so does having a money pit.

3. Aug 23, 2018 at 4:01 PM
    raty4R

raty4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner
    Have you looked under the truck? is your 4Runner really rusty? If it is, it may not be worth the money to fix. Otherwise you might be able to get the brake lines off a junk yard 4Runner.
    Take pictures and show it to another shop/ mechanic.

Products Discussed in

To Top