1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this a good deal? 19 TRD OR 33.8k?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by fiftyxp, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Apr 23, 2020 at 5:32 AM
    fiftyxp

fiftyxp [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thats asking has 16k miles on it.
    carfax is clean has nothing on it.
    its not a cpo though which I think is a little odd.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  2. Apr 23, 2020 at 5:50 AM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    There's a long thread on another forum but at that point your better off new for a few more bucks. I paid just under 38 for an orp. Depending on your area 12-14% off MSRP is a good target price.
    Their are plenty of new 2019s left in the lots but for some odd reason 20s are getting better deals

3. Apr 24, 2020 at 9:52 PM
    Trident904

Trident904 Freelance Mammographer

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Offroad Premium
    King 2.5 with resis, C4 Hybrid Front, TC Uppers, Victory Rack, Smitty 12k winch, 17x9 -38 SCS F5’s with 295/70 Ridge Graps
    I paid $27k out the door for my 17 TRDOR with 21k in March 2019.

fiftyxp[OP] likes this.
  4. Apr 25, 2020 at 3:49 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey`
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Eibach Pro Sport leveling shocks, Firestone airbags, and Baja Design fog lights...
    Go over that thing with a fine tooth comb. I know my 2017 is going straight to auction due to the rust issues. But in all honesty the next buyer could easily miss it due to overall unbelievable shape of the truck. Try to get some more history on the truck from the seller. It’s a good price but me personally, I would rather a CPO. Dealerships selling other manufacturers vehicle typically don’t certify them in my area but if it’s a Toyota dealership I would do an about-face...

fiftyxp[OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 25, 2020 at 5:28 AM
    fiftyxp

fiftyxp [OP] New Member

Member:

yea I tried to work something out but they didnt want to budge any and offered me 2k undermarket for my trade in.
    Move on to the next one!

7385 and Oey12[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Apr 25, 2020 at 9:24 AM
    Antman

Antman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner off-road premium, 2022 Tacoma
    2021 4Runner: King Coilovers King rear shocks Camburg UCA’s Spc rear Trail arms Icon 52700 rear springs Icon panhard bar SCS Ray10’s Rci Sliders Rci Full Skids 2022 Tacoma Offroad: King Coilovers King rear shocks Deaver leaf springs Camburg UCA Scs Gen 5 Bamf front hybrid bumper Rci Full Skids Rci Sliders
    Spend a little more and get brand new. I paid a few thousand more than that and got a new 2020. The price differences between a 2017-2020 are so similar I wouldn’t buy used unless older. Just my opinion though.

7385 and fiftyxp[OP] like this.
  7. Apr 25, 2020 at 10:17 AM
    Trident904

Trident904 Freelance Mammographer

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Offroad Premium
    King 2.5 with resis, C4 Hybrid Front, TC Uppers, Victory Rack, Smitty 12k winch, 17x9 -38 SCS F5’s with 295/70 Ridge Graps
    I’d buy a 2019 over a 2020 any day. 2019 is the last year without TSS. Adding electronics to a 4x4 is just stupid.

Georgia Native and fiftyxp[OP] like this.
  8. Apr 25, 2020 at 11:36 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    Like all the "how much is a good deal, how much is too much?" threads, they are dependent on location, supply, demand... what's a good deal in Thousand Oaks California might be a shitty deal in Youngstown Ohio. That's actually exacerbated by things like cost-of-living; if you are making 30% more in one place than another, then spending 10% more on a car in one place over another is actually a net gain... kind of. So you can't label things a "good deal" unilaterally.

Most used 4Rs here in norCal are SR5 or Limited, so if you want a OR then you'll be looking for a while or buying new. Luckily most used 4R buyers around here don't really understand the trims - they just want the look coupled with a spacer lift and MTs that never actually see mud. Probably 1 in 10 understands what a rear locker is and why they might want the OR package over another trim, so as a result the lower priced and more plentiful SR5s get bought pretty fast.

Locally, a 16k mile 2019 ORP at $33,500 would be a good deal. They are priced around $36,500 + here, when they are found. There's one other used OR on a lot here at $39,999 (white 2019 w/15k, non KDSS, rental turn in). My 2019 MGM ORP non-KDSS with 25k was $35,000 negotiated down from $36,900, same interest rate as if buying new, and I was pleased to pay that since it was the color I wanted and was within my mileage specs and in good shape, and was 8 miles from my house.

I also prefer a 19 over a 20, I don't want TSS. If you can find a new 2019 hold over then there's some extra incentives on those (in this region, at least), but there were none within 250 miles of me when I was looking.

In the end, it's almost impossible to go wrong (as far as mechanical stuff) buying a used 5th gen 4Runner, the only issue becomes how much you think is a fair price for a used truck versus a new truck and how long you'll be waiting or how far you'll be driving to try to make a deal. I dislike waiting and I'm not going to drive 250 miles to maybe buy a truck, so I'll pay a bit of a premium to get what I want close to home and be done with it.

You aren't going to find a CPO at a non-Toyota dealer, and the CPO process costs the dealer money so if the truck will sell without the CPO rating they aren't gonna brand it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Mtbpsych likes this.
  9. Apr 25, 2020 at 11:38 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    Where are you at that you have a 3 year old 4R that is so badly rusted it's not "good enough" for a dealer's lot?

fiftyxp[OP] likes this.
  10. Apr 25, 2020 at 12:24 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey`
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Eibach Pro Sport leveling shocks, Firestone airbags, and Baja Design fog lights...
    Southern New York. I have had all the door sills painted. And the final straw was over the windshield which need to have it removed to correct it and area where the weather stripping on the rear gate. It’s all documented by Toyota and the dealership. They are unable to certify...7 documented areas painted. I would not want to sale or buy it...

11. Apr 25, 2020 at 2:40 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    Whats the frame like?

12. Apr 25, 2020 at 5:15 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey`
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Frame was fine, nothing out of the ordinary. The paint had a lot of odd paint defects like these odd halos and such below the clear coat. I even had a random bubble on the drivers door. Toyota agreed to fix it even though it was out of warranty but I feel my scenario is the complete opposite of the norm with Toyota in general especially this model. So I decided to trade it in cause it really wasn’t worth the price of a lawyer or anything like that. The dealership did VERY right by me...

13. Apr 26, 2020 at 6:20 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Mine is a 2018, and driven two winters in the central Ontario snow belt aka rust belt. 5 months of relentless salt and sand. I’ve owned a lot of a Toyota trucks and rust has always been their weak point. They’ve gotten better with their liberal use of plastic body parts. My expectations are low. This 4 Runner is the best Toyota I’ve owned, but I’m not wedded to it. My tolerance of rust is medium. Surface is ok, but I’m already saving up for my next one.

14. Apr 26, 2020 at 6:28 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey`
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    I don’t mind some surface rust from chips and what not but not on a vehicle that is 2 1/2 years old. The truck was not a lemon but the paint job was... Honestly it happens to all manufacturers but I believe Toyota is still one of the best in regards to that. I just happened to get that one Toyota that that fall in the “bad” percentage. After having the truck looked at by Toyota and other professionals I feel it’s safe to assume one of the paint processes were not done correctly on this particular vehicle. Again not the norm in my opinion...

Additionally I have owned my preowned 4Runners and Tacomas that we’re not well cared for that had no issues remotely close to what I had on my 4Runner.

Oldtoyotaguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Apr 26, 2020 at 11:30 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I totally agree, Oey12, at two years when I look at the underbody of my 4 Runner after a thorough pressure washing from this winter, I can already see the prelude for what is to come in 5 years. I just try not to be too obsessive about it. But obviously, you did the right thing and Toyota supported you, so it was serious. There’s guys here that fluid film, rust proof, paint, oil spray, you name it, but in the end, rust always wins. I just go with the entropy.

16. Apr 27, 2020 at 5:35 AM
    fiftyxp

fiftyxp [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a tacoma so Im totally aware of the rust stuff. Luckily I live in texas so the only rust problem we get is going out to beach.
    Rare to see any texas truck rusted unless they were heavily beached and never washed or cared for, I myself have only ever seen 1 really bad frame, and it was 2008 tacoma sitting on used toyota dealership lot asking for 26k for with 140k miles lol.

But guys in rust states I would say the preventative measures are worth it, especially if youre gonna private party sell it in the future.
    Having a rust free used runner or taco in the rust belt is worth is weight in gold especially with resale value. Any other vehicle I would say hell no dont do anything just let it fall apart on the highway..

If youre just gonna trade it in tho for a new one then yea dont waste your time.

17. Apr 27, 2020 at 5:54 AM
    fiftyxp

fiftyxp [OP] New Member

Member:
    it already sold but it was a toyota dealership which is why I had noted it. I thought that was really strange no cpo, 1 owner, lowish miles, real clean..hmm

passed, now looking at 17 red trd pro now...

Oey12[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Apr 27, 2020 at 6:02 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Red trucks look really cool. Good luck fiftyxp! Despite my comments, I do make the effort to keep my mine clean underneath. I even have a special attachment on my pressure washer for washing the underbody, haha.

fiftyxp[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  19. Apr 27, 2020 at 6:04 AM
    fiftyxp

fiftyxp [OP] New Member

Member:
    oh yea Im familiar with that underbody attachment thing I have one too despite being in texas. They should just include them as freebie when you buy one..

Products Discussed in

To Top