1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is slight steering wheel vibration normal with AT tires?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Loco x Toyota, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Oct 30, 2022 at 1:19 PM
    Rock-N-Roll

Rock-N-Roll TRD Amateur

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R ORP w/ KDSS
    I hope my story helps some people out.

I lifted my 4R with 2,000 miles on it. No shimmy until about 14,500 miles. I did an alignment and 2 tire balances with no luck. Took it back to the shop that did the lift and they found that my drivers side UCA was messed up so that was replaced. Still had the shimmy. Did another balance with no luck. Took it back to the shop and they put it up on the lift and ran it in 4WD to look at the shape of the tires. One tire definitely had a wobble to it. They put the wheels and tires on it from another 4R and the wobble went away. Took it back to Discount Tire and they said it was no big deal and balances the tires again. I convinced them to change out the tire in question since I had a cert on the tires and was able to verify that another set of tires resolved the issue. It had to be the tires. Once they replaced the one tire, the issue completely went away.

If someone can't seem to fix the wobble with multiple road force balances, I would suggest trying the wheels and tires from someone that doesn't have the issue to see if it goes away. Discount Tire can balance an out-of-round tire properly and not really notice that it's out of round enough to make a difference. To them, all tires are not perfectly round and if it balances, it's not a defective tire.

2. Oct 31, 2022 at 10:28 AM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    I have a 21 Pro with the stock Terra Grapplers. It is 18 months old with 30,000 miles and I recently returned from a 20 day / 5,400 mile road trip out west from MD. I have only noticed the shaking steering wheel on two occasions going around 60 mph and it seemed like a brief spell. Maybe I am very lucky in that I apparently don't have an issue or I am just tone deaf to the vibrations. My mountain bike handlebar shimmy's pretty good thru the rock gardens and downhills - maybe that is why I think the 4R is good to go!

3. Oct 31, 2022 at 11:56 AM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner
    If your having this shimmy issue, try rotating the tires(yes you'll still have a out of balance tire) but you'll might be able to tell which tire it is.

4. Nov 27, 2022 at 3:12 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Just an update that my shimmy, which was always intermittent, has become even less frequent as I’ve put miles on my Pirelli Scorpion ATs. Also, this will make folks laugh, but I’ve got a hypothesis that I’ve been putting into practice that may be the real reason for this improvement.

Hypothesis is that I can force the vibration that causes the shimmy to express itself in some other component(s) below the steering wheel — whether that’s along the steering shaft, in the rack, in the suspension or somewhere else. So, when the shimmy starts I literally grip the wheel tight enough to stop it, reasoning (go ahead, laugh!) that I can force some other component to start expressing that vibration instead.

Important to note perhaps that my shimmy is nowhere near severe, just been annoying when it does crop up. So I have no concern I’m causing some kind of serious problem with this technique. And yes, wheel balance is obv the best solution, but like others I have done mine three times inc RoadForce and none of them banished the shimmy 100% of the time.

Time will tell, but don’t knock it til you try it!

5. Jul 8, 2023 at 12:23 PM
    lakerman

lakerman New Member

Member:
    I cant take this, had a shim with the duratracs after rotation, shop couldn't balance, replaced those front 2, same shimy at highways speed, tried balance still problems, put those 2 on the back shimmy gone. Shop says its the duratracs, lets replace all 4 with coopers, the problem continues, tried rebalancing multiple times, problem starts at 58mph+, they have the road force elite, flange etc. I don't know what to do...anyone? yes next week different shop.

6. Jul 8, 2023 at 12:59 PM
    rmiked

rmiked New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fort Mill, SC
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP, Lunar Rock , Moonroof, rear sliding cargo deck, cargo mat
    I have an ORP with 1550 miles on it. Had a slight shimmy with factory Dueler HTs at 62-65 mph when tires cold. Just installed Goodyear UltraTerrains with a lot more tread and weigh 44 lbs vs 39 lbs. Discount Tire did a road force balance and they are smooth as butter up to 80 mph (have not driven faster). And these UltraTerrians are as quiet as the factory highway tires. I was actually expecting worse results. Could not be happier. Truck is otherwise stock, no lift and no suspension mods.

mrmike7189 likes this.
  7. Jul 9, 2023 at 11:16 AM
    4runGirl88

4runGirl88 Get a little mud on the tires!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black SR5 Premium (AKA Black Betty)
    After replacing my KO2s with Falken Wildpeaks 6 months ago, balancing has been no issue. No more shimmies at all. Wild peaks are a bit heavier than the KO2s. Not sure if that makes a difference...?

Products Discussed in

To Top