1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is my dealer taking advantage?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by MazMan, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Jul 24, 2021 at 8:59 AM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman New Member

Member:
    SF Bay
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    My dealer installed wheels locks but they didn’t charge me. The salesman said they install them as no charge as a courtesy. They even gave the original lugs back.

They even plugged their Techstream at no charge as a one time courtesy to let me customize the settings.

All this included at $4300 off MSRP.

7385 and Spare Parts like this.
  2. Jul 24, 2021 at 9:19 AM
    scottalot

scottalot Stockalot

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Charleston SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R offroad
    To be determined
    I
    May be a putz- I’d likely make mention of it but wouldn’t care. It’s. 40k + truck, what’s 100.00

DRobs, Jojotoo and MiamiMark like this.
  3. Jul 30, 2021 at 1:20 PM
    MazMan

MazMan [OP] New Member

Member:
    UPDATE:

Everything worked out OK. Picked up my vehicle in the evening on 7/29, and they were adamant about the wheel locks but agreed to only charge me cost ($49). The other vehicles on the lot (what few there were) had them as well, and there were no other charges or add-ons or changes to the original terms of the deal.

So I’m OK with that.

4. Aug 8, 2021 at 7:16 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Did they happen to give you the 4 regular lug nuts they replaced with locking ones..?

5. Aug 8, 2021 at 7:25 AM
    thkbaron

thkbaron New Member

Member:
    yeah it was just a way to make a few more bucks. Kind of shitty on their part. You agreed to purchase it with the options you chose not them. But at the end of the day what's 50 bucks. Just the principle of the thing. When we signed paperwork on ours a couple of weeks ago they forgot to add the accessories on the bill that we had. I almost told them to go fk themselves it's not my problem but in the end I took the high road and paid for them.

A&P likes this.
  6. Aug 8, 2021 at 7:36 AM
    MazMan

MazMan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yes.

7. Aug 8, 2021 at 11:36 AM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD/Off-Road Premium
    My purchase experience was basically OK. I bought my 2021 TRD/ORP/MR from the same dealer I had purchased my 2010 FJ Cruiser, which I let them know I was intending to trade in (and I knew they wanted). I was lucky they had exactly the vehicle and color I wanted that had just left Japan and was not spoken for. So we came to an agreed sale price less trade-in. About an $1800.00 discount from MSRP. (This was only 1-2 weeks before the crazy pricing, lucky again). Then, the sales Rep said she forgot to mention there were two accessories added by the "Factory". Door edge guards and a cargo cover. Likely added at Port or the dealer's location. I decided I wanted the door edge guards (since they were narrow and color-coded), but had no use for the cargo cover. But I said OK to the cover plus the $199.00 dealer fee. LOL That's when I wrote a $100.00 deposit check and I asked for a sales "agreement" (not an actual contract yet) in writing signed by the sales rep and the sales manager for the vehicle and the two accessories. They somewhat reluctantly did the written agreement (surprised they didn't require at least a $500.00 deposit, but later on I think I know why). So the day came to go to the dealer and take delivery. I inspect and test drive and all is good. The door edge guards installed and the cargo cover in place. But then I noticed in the cargo area there was a first aid kit and black cargo net, both of which I didn't order. So I returned to the sales rep's desk, but didn't mention the two other accessories - yet. LOL It was a busy Saturday, so there was a wait to get into the finance office. So I told the rep I was going to the parts department to separately purchase a tailpipe tip and a ashtray/coin holder. She said: "I'll print that order for you and walk you to the parts department". LOL Turns out the $90.00 tip was now $117.00. But that was the "installed" price.
    LOL. And the ashtray/coin holder was $6.00 more. That's when I surmised that the sales reps make a commission on the accessories with or without a vehicle. There is a sales rep incentive to add as much port/dealer installed accessories as possible before the actual sales contract. That's probably also the reason they never cashed my $100.00 check for two months. No money had "officially" changed hands. So now I'm in the finance office. I call this the "closing room" where the real sale consummates. Of course they tried to sell me any/all forms of extended warranties, including an electronic and technology warranty for $2,000.00 !!!! LOL Of course, I turned everything down. So, he brings out the finance and sales contracts. And sure enough, there is the first-aid kit and cargo net added. I mentioned that I did not agree to those two items a showed him my original sales agreement. He seemed a bit stunned and left his desk for about 5 minutes (I assume to talk to the rep and sales manager). He returned and said they must have been added in error, and that there would be no charge for those two items. LOL For my 2010 FJ cruiser trade-in with 161,000 miles I received more than 50% of what I paid new for it new. So, bottom line is I purchased the new 4R at a good price, with a good trade-in price. So no real complaints. It's just the little frauds and deceptions with the accessories deal that was so unnecessary and would have made the buying experience much more satisfactory.

8. Aug 8, 2021 at 11:48 AM
    Bubbles

Bubbles New Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Pro Lunar Rock
    The cargo net and first aid kit are included from the factory at no charge. They’re standard items on all 4Runners.

9. Aug 8, 2021 at 12:42 PM
    thkbaron

thkbaron New Member

Member:
    we got both of them as well and immediately tossed the worthless cargo net. haha

10. Aug 8, 2021 at 12:53 PM
    Bubbles

Bubbles New Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Pro Lunar Rock
    You were supposed to :notsure:

They’re on Toyota’s website as standard on all.

11. Aug 8, 2021 at 1:25 PM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    It’s very likely that a criminal can defeat a wheel lock, and even more likely you will lose the damn key and won’t be able to take your wheels off.

DRobs likes this.
  12. Aug 8, 2021 at 7:31 PM
    interceptor

interceptor Crash Test Dummy

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '21 ABM Venture
    Same, although mine came that way from the port VPS (vehicle processing center). I know this because I saw mine shortly after it came off the truck (and the dealer knew I did not want anything done by them).

A&P[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Aug 8, 2021 at 7:49 PM
    lrizzo

lrizzo New Member

Member:
    Northern New Jersey
    My dealer doesn’t even charge for the wheel locks but I’d be a bit annoyed at the fee but wouldn’t be a deal breaker. Scrutinize your paperwork before signing. I’m wondering if they hid something.

interceptor likes this.
  14. Aug 8, 2021 at 8:04 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Yep. They can order a key set to help determine which locks. It's a Master set with all the possible combos. There's like 20, that's it. A few minutes worth of work makes for easy theft.

Also, look up Lockpicking Lawyer, dood is a legend.

LandCruiser[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Aug 8, 2021 at 8:05 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Just to keep everyone honest. The 4Runner is built in Japan, not in the USA.

16. Aug 9, 2021 at 5:28 AM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD/Off-Road Premium
    Why didn't the dealer just say so ?? It was clearly shown as an extra chare for both on the first sales contract. How could they not know this ?? Hmmm.
    I don't bemoaned the dealership to try and make each sale as profitable as possible. That's what they're in business for. But it's these petty little things like this that irritate people.
    Anyway, sorry for the long, theatric post. All is well. And really like my 4Runner. Glad I purchased when I did.

17. Aug 9, 2021 at 5:57 AM
    olliechristoper

olliechristoper New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oops my bad. Poor choice of words. I meant to say sold in the US. One thing I do know with certainty is my GMC Sierra was manufactured here. It's one of the reasons I'm getting such good reliability out of it. Fort Wayne IN has some of the best manufacturing and assembly plants in the world.

232583EB-9A0B-43BF-BFA9-5EC2048932DE.jpg

18. Aug 9, 2021 at 6:17 AM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    That's news to me also. Mine had neither new.

DRobs likes this.
  19. Aug 9, 2021 at 6:33 AM
    CO-Cygnus

CO-Cygnus New Member

Member:
    Tabernash, CO
    Vehicle:
    This right here. I don't care if it's $20, if I didn't ask for it then I'm not paying for it.

hallkb likes this.
  20. Aug 9, 2021 at 6:51 AM
    olliechristoper

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Both our 21 year old and 23 year old Lexus's came with the trunk net and first aid kit. I recommend to anyone purchasing a new vehicle to do your own PDI at the lot. And never ever take delivery of it until it is put up on a lift so you can check every nook and cranny for delivery in route damage.

21. Aug 9, 2021 at 1:28 PM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Well there you go - Toyota always liked Lexus more.

22. Aug 9, 2021 at 4:07 PM
    olliechristoper

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    :bowdown:

Products Discussed in

To Top