1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Introduction and Intermittent Start Issue - '90 SR5/MT/V6

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by shankbone, Feb 16, 2016.

?

How much do you think it will take me to get this sorted out?

Poll closed Mar 17, 2016.
  1. $0-$800 with you and your old man spinning the wrenches

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. $800-$1,000 with you and your old man spinning the wrenches

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $0-$800 taking it to a friendly mechanic, you lazy bum!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. $800-$1,00 taking it to a friendly mechanic, you lazy bum!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. $1,000+ no matter which way you slice it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. May God have mercy on you.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Feb 16, 2016 at 3:49 PM
    shankbone

shankbone [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm sure an introduction is appreciated before just diving in and blasting away with questions, so here's a little about me. (And then I will go back to searching this great forum, looking for past solutions to similar problems.)

I'm 36 years old and just picked up my first Toyota, a 1990 4Runner that belonged to my buddy for six months before it developed an intermittent start issue. Besides wanting a project for my old man and I, why in the heck did I buy a rig that doesn't run and has sat in a driveway for the last two years? Well, I'm a fishing and hunting fool with two big dogs and I just bought a new full size truck that I want to stay in good shape. I literally hunt, scout, fish, or work my dogs six out of seven days because I live that double-income-no-kids life and work 4 days a week. The pay isn't great, which is why I have this problem:

The 4Runner was garaged several years ago because it was purchased used and developed an intermittent start issue. The problem is vehicle will start MOST of the time, but every once in awhile there is no response when the key moves into the start position. Nothing, not even a click. This can happen first thing in the morning, or after running several errands.

The 4Runner did have an aftermarket sound system installed, some KC lights, and other electronic accessories, so this may be part of the issue.

250K miles.

As for my background under the hood of a car, if you tell me what to spin, I can spin it. If you give me a good YouTube video, I can watch about 500 times on my iPad in the garage, cussing up a storm, and trying to follow along. :)

My question is for you 4Runner gurus on here. What might I be up against and what do you think I might pay to get this all sorted out at the mechanic?

Thanks for any advice or input.

2. Feb 19, 2016 at 2:56 PM
    shankbone

shankbone [OP] New Member

Member:
    I put a new battery in it tonight and the only lights we could get to come on were the headlights.

Turning the key in the ignition did nothing, so we towed it to my house. Now it's time to check fuses and start testing wires.

Products Discussed in

To Top