1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Intermittent steering wheel shimmy?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Tilly22, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Apr 22, 2024 at 8:17 AM
    Tilly22

Tilly22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road
    Hey folks, bought a 2022 Off Road a few months ago. Dealership had black and rounds, upgraded to Michelins. Having an inconsistent visible wobble in the steering wheel between 60-70 mph. it’s mostly when I’m coasting or giving it light gas..
    Had this issue with the black and rounds, having it with the Michelins. Tires have been balanced and rotated 2x.
    Could it be the drive shaft? U joints?
    Anyone else had this kind of issue before?

2. Apr 22, 2024 at 10:33 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Tilly22[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 22, 2024 at 12:56 PM
    Tilly22

Tilly22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road
    Thank you very much! :)

4. Apr 22, 2024 at 4:36 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    You are most welcome, it has been my experience that this problem is because you can not find shops to balance correctly.

5. Apr 23, 2024 at 12:36 AM
    Static03

Static03 New Member

Member:
    Jacksonville Florida USA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100's, 1" Cornfed Rear Spacer, Aluminum Skid Plate, Powerstop Z23 Pads/Rotors, 4WDKING 30" Light Bar, Nilight Ditch Lights, BBG4x4 Front Recovery Points, American Outlaw Gunslinger wheels 17x8.5 -6 Offset with Toyo Open Country AT3's
    Having the exact same issue. Had it road force balanced @ discount tire last week, took it back today and had them do it again. Honestly just lowered my air pressure to about 32 on my jaco guage *not the tpms* and it made it much better. Ive already checked ball joints, wheel bearings *actually ordered one that is on my shelf because im paranoid* tie rods, and brake rotors. Had it alligned by toyota last november. Good luck. If you figure it out, share that sh*t!

6. Apr 26, 2024 at 4:53 AM
    Static03

Static03 New Member

Member:
    Jacksonville Florida USA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100's, 1" Cornfed Rear Spacer, Aluminum Skid Plate, Powerstop Z23 Pads/Rotors, 4WDKING 30" Light Bar, Nilight Ditch Lights, BBG4x4 Front Recovery Points, American Outlaw Gunslinger wheels 17x8.5 -6 Offset with Toyo Open Country AT3's
    While air pressure made a difference, the wheel still shook and I felt vibrations in my seat. Went to a different discount tire and had a 3rd balance. Here is what I learned. #1 they should strip all the old weights off before balancing, my usual discount tire did not do that. #2 I had a wheel with zero weights, wtf? #3 one of my tires had to get rotated on the rim. I had these wheels balanced on Monday, and all this had to happen on Thurs? Stick to your guns, if you dont feel your tires are balanced properly, fight till they are. I was starting to check U Joints because I was running out of ideas as to what the problem was. Now, I have almost no wheel shake, to the point I have to stare at the wheel and try to see if there is movement. Night and day difference. Rides the best it ever has.

Products Discussed in

To Top