1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Intermittent electrical problem 2nd Gen 4runner Need Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by 2419, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Aug 10, 2016 at 10:49 AM

2419 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen sr5 v6 4runner
    I have been having this on and off issue with what I assume is something electrical. It was really bad in the winter and went away once it warmed up but now is giving me constant trouble again.

Just running everyday things will cause my power to cut out when I'm driving. A mix of using AC Radio and turn signal when I'm steping on the break to come to a stop will cause the battery gauge to drop to at least half even sometimes it has been known to cut off on me.

I replaced the alternator early this past December but I think that might be the problem. When I step on the gas everything goes back to normal. Even parked and rolling the windows up and down with the ac ca cause the same thing.

2. Aug 18, 2016 at 7:31 AM
    Kyle11863

Kyle11863 King of the BS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Big Bear California
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 5 Speed Manual
    Doug Thorley long tube headers and lots of mud
    This is a little out there of an answer but you might be causing too much drag on the engine between the power consumption, brake application, and A/C. I remember one time I did stall the engine but tapping the brake too much. This is caused by the brakes using a vacuum line to give power to your brake system. That combined with the A/C compressor putting a lot of strain could be the cause, though this is unlikely as the engine should be able to handle a lot more going on but you never know. Try replicating the results but without the A/C on

One thing I would try also is take the alternator to a shop to get it tested before attempting to replace it again. It is possible that you got a dead one out of the box but a test will be able to tell you that without having to throw money away. Not sure if they all do it but I know my local napa will test alternators for free.

Products Discussed in

To Top