1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Improving the ride on my 2015 4 runner?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by late9sound, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Apr 27, 2015 at 10:28 PM
    late9sound

late9sound [OP] New Member

Member:
    I went to Toyota dealer today and really want to buy the base SR5 model today but the bumpy ride turned me off though I love everything else about this cool looking SUV. Is there anything that you can do to improve the ride - I will mostly use if for on road and will almost never use it for off road. I know I could buy a Toyota Highlander for a nicer "on road" ride but I like the "macho look"of the 4 runner a lot more. Any suggestion? Thank you

2. Jul 1, 2015 at 4:19 PM
    denteen99

denteen99 2015 SR5 4WD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4runner 4WD
    TRD Wheels with BFG KO2's; Bilstein 5100's with 1.75" lift; pending rear springs for balance Pending Camelbak rack (who knows when??)
    I have a 2015 4WD and I can tell you that they do need help. The thing nosedives with braking and is sloppy with any transition, and the tires follow every groove on highway concrete. Part of the problem is Toyotas incessant need to put incredibly crappy tires on their 'trucks'. Dunlops, etc. Complete crap. If its not going to be 4wd, get new Bilsteins 5100's for 400 bucks and enjoy! They are much better than stock. Replace the tires when the OEMs are worn out with BFGs, or just about anything recommended on here, depending on your desire for on/off road/all season mix. I had the tires below on my Sequoia years ago, and they were an awesome tire. Good luck. I'm right behind you on the mods too! But I will be going with a mild lift with Toytec or Icon, as I have had on my last FJ and Tacoma, respectively.
    [​IMG]
    Dueler A/T Revo 2

3. Jul 8, 2015 at 9:01 AM
    Willandbill

Willandbill New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 black trail
    billstein 5100, FN Sixshooter wheels, cooper at3
    Agreed, night and day difference with the Bilstein 5100's. I set my fronts at .85 and they nearly leveled vehicle. The upgrade really made for a much firmer feel. Keep in mind though, it's never going to ride like a car though. Just the nature of the beast. Enjoy!

RingSteel likes this.
  4. Aug 25, 2015 at 10:33 PM
    NW4R

NW4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 trail
    IMHO, this SUV is designed to ride more like truck. Remember its a body on frame construct vs the rest of the crossover SUV's out there. These are the one remaining grocery getter SUV that is still built for off road.

5. Aug 26, 2015 at 9:56 AM
    denteen

denteen New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle:
    2015 4runner SR5 4wd
    Bilsteins
    No argument. I had an fj too. Putting on bilsteins this wknd. Will upgrade springs when these tires wear out. My point was only the unsafe nature of brake dive and poor handling. That is lazy setup and engineering. It should be better out of the box. You and I would not have chosen these shocks that come stock. Bean counters would tho

Products Discussed in

To Top