1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Improving suspension while towing a trailer across the country?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Hempydrummer, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Jun 4, 2015 at 5:12 AM
    Hempydrummer

Hempydrummer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner
    3" fab tech lift
    Hey guys. I have a 2000 2 wheel drive 3.4 bigger Engine 4 runner with 230k miles on it. it has a 3" fabtech lift kit on it and oversized BF's in which I plan to downsize on this move.

I'm driving from So. California to Nashville TN. Taking the 10 fwy across New Mexico and Texas so its pretty flat but HOT in JULY. I just had the transmission rebuilt and added a piggy back radiator just for the transmission. I have replaced drive shaft, timing belt, all belts, water pump, starter, front steering Rack, all front control arms and I guess will have to keep the truck at this point now. I hear a clunking noise in the back and determined it was the trailering control arm. Bushings are gone.

I guess my question for the group is what can I add to the truck for better suspension while towing a small utility trailer across the country?

Ive already put over $6000 into this truck and now that i have, I have to keep it for a long time. I haven't replaced the radiator but it looks good. I haven't replaced the rear end either. or the heater core. I know I could probably use a tune up and spark plug change. What does a tune up consist of and can I do this on my own? the trailer shouldnt weigh no more that 2000 lbs. I know the truck is rated at 4500 or so. any info is very helpful and appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  2. Jun 4, 2015 at 5:44 PM
    wnelax04sr5

wnelax04sr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 Galactic Gray
    airbags for the rear will help a lot, sway bar bushings, sway bar end links that are longer to accommodate the lift

To Top