1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ignition Problem

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by srgray15, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Jan 12, 2016 at 4:49 PM
    srgray15

srgray15 [OP] Routt County 4Runner

Member:
    Has anyone experienced any issues with the tumbler in the ignition not turning at times?, I have a 1999 Limited I have recently had issues where I go to turn the key to start and it will not turn. For the last few weeks I have taken the key out and turned it around and then kept clicking off then on till it would finally let me start. I did figure out today that if I move the key a little in the ignition that it will engage quicker. Any known issues or suggestions for how to fix this problem.

2. Jan 12, 2016 at 5:28 PM
    4runner-yoda

4runner-yoda Mud, anyone?

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Black 4Runner Sport V8 4X4
    FjSprings. 5100 bilsteins, lots more
    several options: first remove the ignition switch(the electrical part of the ignition switch). You may have to lower steering column enough to get to screws on the back side. Then try your ignition key, if it still sticks, replace ignition tumbler.
    or just get a new ignition tumbler and replace it. you will have to use seperate key for the doors or get a locksmith to rekey the new ignition switch to match your door key and get some new keys kut for the tumbler. Hope that helps. Ignition switches and tumblers(lock cylinder) sometimes just quit working properly on these Toyota's.

3. Jan 20, 2016 at 6:03 PM
    The.Giff

The.Giff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    It might be a loose ignition switch on the back side of the tumbler. Autozone has the tumbler for $70-280 depending on the key. The Ignition switch (back side of the tumbler) is $64.99. That would be my first culprits. I will tell you as an AutoZone employee that if it doesnt fix your problem bring it back for your money back. So honestly its worth the gamble if you know how to get the parts in and out.

4. Feb 19, 2016 at 6:04 AM
    Justin5772002

Justin5772002 New Member

Member:
    Sounds like a warn key. I'm a locksmith and it sounds like the issue. That's what you start with first. You need to have a new one code cut to see if that fixes your problem. If not then it could be your ign wafers. I believe our generation has a split wafer system in it for anti theft purposes and in these igns sometimes the two wafers get off line of themselves and make it increasingly more and more difficult to turn your ign until one day you won't be able to shake your key and turn it anymore. We as locksmiths typically pull the ign out and throw out those split wafers so it never happens again hahaha

5. Feb 20, 2016 at 1:11 AM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    Vehicle:
    99 T4R LTD- 33's and locked, 01 SR5-,SAS Sold...
    A few things here and there. Still dreaming up stuff
    Also another common issue with the 3rd Gen also. There is what I'll call a carrier for the ignition lock switch and tumbler. In that bracket it will sheer off part of it after time. We just did one in our shop this week. All knowing toyota stealer ship gave my customer an est for a grand for new keys ignition and this bracket that hooks onto the steering column and of course they had to reprogram it all also.

Any how- all it needed was the bracket and the lock cylinder switched over into the new part. Boom she was good as new. If that tumblr and key spin for a 360 then that's the issue.

Blue

6. Mar 20, 2019 at 11:52 AM
    Rdaisy171

Rdaisy171 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    1999 limited
    So if key spins freely in ignition it may be the bracket?

7. Mar 20, 2019 at 11:52 AM
    Rdaisy171

Rdaisy171 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    1999 limited
    I have this issue now. Put key into ignition and it spins freely

8. Jan 29, 2021 at 6:17 PM
    RoxToy00

RoxToy00 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    rocky
    Vehicle:
    3rd owner of 2000 2whldr 4runner
    none
    Not a problem, just a curiosity. My ignition key can be pulled out, removed from the ignition, with the 4Runner running, WTF? Not an issue with operation, starts and runs and drives fine, found this out by accident, just curious if anybody else has run into this ... malfunction? or is it something that's supposed to be able to happen? The runner is my first Toyota.

9. Feb 1, 2021 at 8:42 AM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    No, it's not supposed to do that.

But this is not unheard of with very old cars after their ignition cylinders wear to the point of becoming wonky.

You may want to consider getting it fixed. No fun if it decides to just up and break completely. But I also drove an old car like that for a few years with no issues.

Products Discussed in

To Top