1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ignition Key Stuck/Not Recognizing Park

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Ramona The 4Runner, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Jun 19, 2021 at 8:33 AM
    Ramona The 4Runner

Ramona The 4Runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Washington DC Area
    Vehicle:
    2000 Black 4Runner SR5
    Repairs: Front upper and lower ball joints @ 198k Ignition switch and assembly @200k (following attempted theft) Valve cover gaskets @ 202k Timing belt @202k Custom work: Sleeping platform/storage system 2-way VHF/UHF radio Coming up: Replace rack and bushings Replace sway bar and linkages/bushings Frame treatment Front and rear bumper replacement (offroad) Solar/second battery
    Hi everyone. I have had an issue for some time where occasionally when I park my truck, I can't get the key out of the ignition. I finally figured out that it happens when the park hasn't fully engaged and until now, putting it back in neutral and back in park tens to work.

Since yesterday it's happening every time I park. I end up fighting with it try to get it to register being in park. It seems to be sheer luck at this point that I get the right combination of movements that it likes. Has anyone ever encountered this? Any ideas?

2. Jun 19, 2021 at 8:37 AM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    I wore my key out after twenty years. A new cut key from the dealer would be one route….

3. Jun 19, 2021 at 12:36 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    After 35 years, the keys for my 87's both slide in and out of the ignition whatever position it's in. With 375,000 miles on the pickup, I have the funny feeling I could start it with a dull knife, or screwdriver. I have started it with the 4Runner's key a couple times by accident, lately. To say the key, the factory original I got with the truck when it was just 1 years old, is worn down, is an understatement, to say the least.

SO, just run your key in and out a few thousand times. Once it wears down enough, voila! No more trouble with parking it. The key will slide in and out of the ignition easy, whatever position it's in. Want to put the key in your pocket while driving down the road? No sweat :yes: :crazy: :rofl:

Seriously, though, I would check the alignment of the shifter linkages with the tranny. I've never had an auto transmission, but I understand the linkage can "drift" out of alignment over time. Maybe it's not allowing the key to be removed, because it is out of alignment?
    Or, and I'm guessing on this, is there a switch in the tranny that tells the ignition whether it's in park or not? Maybe that switch has gone south on you. Or it might be on the shifter. I'm not sure.
    Just throwing out guesses, from a manual tranny kinda guy, for what little their worth...
    Pat☺

4. Jun 19, 2021 at 12:38 PM
    Ramona The 4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Washington DC Area
    Vehicle:
    2000 Black 4Runner SR5
    Repairs: Front upper and lower ball joints @ 198k Ignition switch and assembly @200k (following attempted theft) Valve cover gaskets @ 202k Timing belt @202k Custom work: Sleeping platform/storage system 2-way VHF/UHF radio Coming up: Replace rack and bushings Replace sway bar and linkages/bushings Frame treatment Front and rear bumper replacement (offroad) Solar/second battery
    There's no problem putting the key in and turning it on. It's the removal of the key once I'm parked that is the issue.

5. Jun 19, 2021 at 12:40 PM
    Ramona The 4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Washington DC Area
    Vehicle:
    2000 Black 4Runner SR5
    Yeah I've figured it's something to do with the transmission or some sort of switch that tells the ignition cylinder once the vehicle is in park. I was hoping maybe someone might know how to fix it without *gulp* replacing the transmission. Because otherwise the transmission is in remarkably good shape for being 21 years old with over 200k miles. Sometimes shifts a tad hard going into drive, but otherwise, all smooth.

6. Jun 20, 2021 at 12:06 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    If it's a switch, there's no need to replace the whole transmission. Just replace the switch. I don't know where the switch might be located, whether actually on the tranny, or on the shift lever.

Either way, just replace the switch, align the shifter linkage, and awaaaaay we go!
    I'm sure one of our super experts with auto transmissions will chime in eventually with the entire, easy solution.

Have fun!
    Pat☺

Late note: Looking at the wiring portion of the FSM I have, it looks like the Park/Neutral switch is located on the transmission. On top of the tranny, so difficult to get to, but still. Just wriggle your hand up in there, and pull the switch off, put a new switch on, and done! Hope you've got small hands. I have big, BIG hands. I have to get my lovely wife to reach into places like that.

Have fun!
    Pat☺

7. Jun 26, 2021 at 2:10 PM
    pdqubet

pdqubet New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner Limited
    Ahkouchi likes this.
  8. Jun 29, 2021 at 3:02 AM
    Ahkouchi

Ahkouchi New Member

Member:
    It's this. Happened to 3 1st gen tacos and 5 3rd gen 4 runners I worked on. This is your problem

9. Jun 29, 2021 at 7:32 AM
    TN_FunRunner

TN_FunRunner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP, 2007 SR5 4WD
    Had this same problem on my 1st gen Tacoma. These bushings did the trick. Not a hard job at all.

Products Discussed in

To Top