1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I kind of hate my 5th gen 4Runner. It's the return of Gramma Ray!

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Gamma Ray, Aug 21, 2023.

1. Aug 21, 2023 at 7:26 PM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray [OP] Be excellent to each other

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Who cares? This never shows everything anyway.
    I liked it a lot at first. Then I wasn't sure. Then it grew on me. Now it's three and a half years later, and I'm growing tired of it. It's so big and heavy.

I hate how big it is. I got used to going from a Wrangler TJ to the second generation Liberty. I feel like the Liberty was as big as I can comfortably go. I could never get used to the 4Runner's massive girth.

It's way heavier, or at least it feels that way. I was driving through High Point State Park in New Jersey last month, and I had butthole pucker factor going less than the speed limit. I wished I had something smaller, lower, and not puckering. The ups and downs and (not so) high speed turns through those ups and downs were not making the 4Runner or my anus happy.

I absolutely hate parking the 4Runner. It sucks. It's fatter than my butt. It turns wider than my butt.

I don't dislike much else about the 4Runner, but it's just the most 'MURRICAN thing to come out of Japan since Metal Wolf Chaos. If it was smaller and lighter, I'd be a happy camper. So, a 3rd or maybe a 4th gen. Not whatever is going on these days... or since 2010.

Real SUVs aren't what they used to be. I feel like I've been sized out. I have absolutely no interest in the upcoming Land Cruiser. It's even more girthy crap for hoity toity people who like to pretend they're rugged. So, the Land Rover demographic. A foot wider than the 5th gen and an inch less ground clearance. What a joke.

I have no interest in a Rav 4 or whatever else. I'm definitely not going back to Chrysler. Plus, the current Cherokee is to the old Cherokee as the current Blazer is to the old Blazer. So, smaller but capable older SUVs that got replaced with crossovery crap.

I've come to find that I don't really care that much about the offroad capabilities of the 4Runner. I did it a couple times, and I've had enough. It's way more fun to take my RC offroaders out, and it's healthier for me. Plus, I don't have to drive hours away from New Jersey roads just to drive for hours on roads that are more New Jersey than New Jersey. If there's one thing that the 4X4iness is good for, it's getting me out of a flood, but I only had to do that once in my life, and I think I'd rather just let insurance deal with it next time if it means putting up with Ron Jeremy every other day of my life.

I haven't given up on my 4Runner yet, but I might end up with a Corolla, maybe a later previous generation Impreza. A later lobster claw Civic? Maybe. Since I've been sized out of the real SUV space, and I have no interest in the crossover space, I see no reason not to go with a car that's not the smallest, cheapest, and most reliable thing I can find and can fit into. I was actually watching a video about the Mitsubishi Mirage recently, and I was surprised by how much it appealed to me.

Yes, it's the return of Gramma Ray, as someone called me years ago when I made a post like this. I want to continue liking my 4Runner. This time of year, it's hard to argue with that rear window that rolls down, along with all of the other windows, and you get to enjoy the weather. But this Bad Dragon size, my gosh. I don't think I can handle it anymore.

PS - I saw someone make a post recently saying something to the effect of how he didn't think there was anyone looking at 4Runners that would be looking at something smaller. I think it was in one of the new Land Cruiser topics. Anyway, I thought about replying, but I'll comment on that post here now. To that, I say poppycock! I got my 4Runner in 2020, and I wanted a Suzuki Samurai or one of those smaller pickups like the old Rangers and Tacomas. I had no idea that sort of thing was long gone in every form in the US market since I was out of the market for like 11 years. The whole landscape changed, and I didn't realize it. I was indeed looking for something smaller to replace my Liberty with.

DirtDevil and Late Life Crisis like this.
  2. Aug 21, 2023 at 7:44 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Sucks getting old and realizing that every single car, much less SUV, are all gargantuan.

I happened to see a late model kia forte on the interstate, right next to an early 80s Corolla 1.8 Wagon. It was comical how large the Kia was in comparison. Even land yacht 70s muscle cars are tiny compared to todays vehicles.

Everything’s huge nowadays. The 4runner is probably the smallest real SUV available. Actually, the only real SUV? Scratch that, there’s still the dodge whatever it’s called, and the G-wagen.

Anywho, nothing wrong with wanting a (relatively) small light car. The corolla wagon that came out is pretty cool. The hatchback with a manual feels pretty good on the road. I almost bought one before the 4runner.

I’d say subaru, but don’t they all have CVTs? I’d hate to wish that on my worst enemy.

The other option is seeing if your state allows importing old vehicles from japan. There are dealers that specialize in selling imports like this, and you might be able to find a decent small, fun, and cool vehicle.

edit: ford maverick…but I’m not sure if those burst into flames.

VTECMoonWalker likes this.
  3. Aug 21, 2023 at 7:49 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    5G 4Runner, 3G Tacoma on 35"s
    ^If you don't plan to go off-road, and want something smaller, then RAV4 would be appropriate. It shares the same platform as the Camry, so it's low and handles well.

4th gen 4Runner is the same frame (and same track and wheelbase) as 5th gen. Going to a 3rd gen comes with old-car baggage, since the newest 3rd gen would be 21 years old.

4. Aug 21, 2023 at 7:49 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    I think you are almost ready for the Prius.

5. Aug 21, 2023 at 7:49 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Life's too short not to love your car. Whatever you end up in, post pictures. And, keep hanging out here! Who's gonna tell everyone to lick their balls, otherwise?

wsu_runner, rmiked, Ironguy and 3 others like this.
  6. Aug 21, 2023 at 7:55 PM
    TCW1184

TCW1184 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23’ 4R TRD Pro
    Definitely trade it for a new Corolla LE hybrid. 24k, 50plus mpg, nice basic easy a to b transportation. Even comes in AWD if you need that.

7. Aug 21, 2023 at 7:56 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    I agree it seems bigger than the old Toyota stuff, but I’m coming from a Sequoia which dwarfs my 5th gen. Good luck.

8. Aug 21, 2023 at 7:58 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
  9. Aug 21, 2023 at 8:02 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Let the air drop going to be ten degrees cooler tomorrow?

10. Aug 21, 2023 at 8:07 PM
    TCW1184

TCW1184 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23’ 4R TRD Pro
    Used to drive a 84 Bronco on 35 swampers. 4Runner seems small and nimble compared to that. All about perspective. Looked similar to this:

CA59873C-19E2-4706-8E97-5F478712BB19.jpg

11. Aug 21, 2023 at 8:33 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Coming from Jeep TJs, & a couple of JKs, I feel your pain somewhat. I'd go back to a JK myself, as I feel that is the perfectly sized one-person SUV. I couldn't see a JL with all the electronic crap, i.e. stop/start etc. The two JKS I had were pretty reliable.

It's one reason I picked up a 1st gen Tacoma Prerunner. I find myself driving it more than the 4R, and it doesn't need 4wd.

12. Aug 21, 2023 at 8:58 PM
    fast eddie

fast eddie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Pompano Beach, FL & Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    2023 dark grey runner limited all time 4wd
    None
    Most comfortable, capable, economic, ergonomic, durable, well designed and curb appeal car I’ve ever driven………. 2000 Honda Odyssey! Dang thing even has an electric movable throttle pedal that positions the pedal perfectly! You get in and don’t realize you’re sitting in the driver’s seat it’s so effortless. Just could’t get over the grocery getter image. BTW, I HATE the “hearse” curve they added in the chrome under the rear windows. That hosed up the styling and made it a deal breaker. Two inches more ground clearance and 4wd…….look out!

djb1 and NEguy like this.
  13. Aug 21, 2023 at 10:01 PM
    Henry J

Henry J Crap…crap crap crap crap…crap

Member:
    Sacramento Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Brick Red FJ & 2011 Silver T4R Trail
    Tesla?

14. Aug 21, 2023 at 10:25 PM
    5thToy

5thToy New Member

Member:
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5P
    I almost typed a reply but decided against it

15. Aug 21, 2023 at 10:39 PM
    Gripster

Gripster New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium
    I totally agree that vehicles have just gotten too big. I would love it if the 6th gen was smaller to put the 4R in a market segment to differentiate it from the new less expensive Land Cruiser.

I am curious to see what the new Stout will be all about. It is supposed to fill the smaller pickup segment basically where the Taco came from before it got huge.

a 2 door Wrangler is pretty nimble, but Jeep quality is not to be trusted. We sold the wife’s 2D after she experienced Death Wable.

16. Aug 21, 2023 at 11:01 PM
    garoto

garoto New Member

Member:
    So odd to hear that, I just bought one and I think its the best SUV to ever come out of Japan, I'm beyond impressed with it.

17. Aug 22, 2023 at 3:36 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2024 JLU
    The "problem" with the 4Runner is that as a lifestyle vehicle for outdoor people, it's unsurpassed. Yeah it's big and old and gets shit mileage, but it can go anywhere and allow remote unsupported exploration and living quarters. You can't get that in a Civic or Mirage or ( insert economy car here ). When I go weeks on end just driving back and forth to work I find myself thinking about getting something else that's more urban appropriate - and then I'll spend a long weekend camping out of the 4Runner and realize there's nothing else that compares. I guess it's all what you want to do with it and being able to accept its inadequacies in some categories for its domination in others.

djb1, TN_TRAIL, auspilot and 6 others like this.
  18. Aug 22, 2023 at 4:26 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    I was just driving on the logging roads of Maine yesterday, I had complete comfort and driving the roads that come to an end or turn ATV trail. I found that the Off Road Premium with wired down tires just sucks up most of the bumps when I am traveling at good speed, not so good when I am driving like gramps. Yes it’s bigger than my previous tacos, but all the gear for my wife and I to go into the woods, fits inside.

Link the for sale add, maybe someone on here will help you out and take your unloved 4Runner off your hands. As I posted yesterday about the navigation system, it’s crap time to get rid of the runner.

19. Aug 22, 2023 at 4:58 AM
    Great Truck

Great Truck New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    '21 SR5 Premium
    Stock - except Gen 3 4Runner badges on front doors!
    Good morning,
    I empathize with trying to find simpatico with a new 5th gen. I had two 4th gens (which is what I'd recommend to Gamma Ray) and loved em. Drove a 2003 and then a 2008 for a total of 250 thousand miles (they were both used to me) so I essentially had the same vehicle for 15 years. Took me a while to understand my 21 SR5 Premium but I do! It tows better and my 4th gens, and yes it's big but it's as solid as a rock. Love it on back roads, comfortable as all get out, not filled with too many gadgets - still has an sweep hand on the speedo! Re: interstate driving - just drove to Boston - everyone going 80, at one point almost hit 90 it was so smooth.

Not for everything driving need but fits me fine. It's my 5th 4Runner - starting with an '88!

20. Aug 22, 2023 at 5:13 AM
    tundy

tundy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 Pro
    Agree that everything has been upsized. We had a 1999 F150 that is about the same width as the current 4Runner. Our other vehicle is a ‘16 Tundra, so it works for us. For you? Look at some of the newer wagons maybe? There’s no question that a smaller vehicle is easier to live with if you never need the bigger size.

21. Aug 22, 2023 at 5:21 AM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:

4Runner is on the smaller side AFA today's SUVs go.
    4Runner drives like a large SUV, due to its handling, suspension, low turning radius, BoF etc. For instance my honda pilot "felt" smaller than my 4Runner, even though it was wider, and possibly longer.
    Don't discount new LC it might surprise you once you drive it.

ecoterragaia likes this.
  22. Aug 22, 2023 at 5:27 AM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia New Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 4WD
    I totally get it. Compared to the 4R, my daily driven '06 Taco (regular cab 4wd 5sp) feels downright nimble, despite the 4 banger. Less than an inch difference in wheelbase (109.8 in vs 109.4 in), but the 4R is ~1,600 lbs heavier (3,180 lbs vs 4,750 lbs) :eek:

IMHO, the biggest contributor to the feeling of driving a large vehicle is how the springs and shocks are targeted more at softness and comfort than handling. The nose/corner diving and rolling is reminiscent of the 1970-1980s land yachts. Great for highway driving, but on rural roads it's almost a chore to keep passengers from getting motion sickness.

23. Aug 22, 2023 at 5:29 AM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia New Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 4WD
    I was just making these points, but you posted while I was typing :). Sorry if it sounds like I'm repeating you.

broken-giver[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Aug 22, 2023 at 6:15 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Wouldn't put it past @Gamma Ray to be trying to mess with us, though...

25. Aug 22, 2023 at 6:26 AM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    Try going from the 4runner to a tundra 2nd Gen. That’s why I sold my 21 tundra pro and going back to 4runner Pro. I miss the size. I don’t need a full size truck to drive around and especially parking it it finding a parking spot that you can fit. Yeah don’t forget the parking garages too.

7Runner likes this.
  26. Aug 22, 2023 at 6:33 AM
    2016Pro

2016Pro Why all of the Pro hate?

Member:
    Hyundai Santa Cruz lol

27. Aug 22, 2023 at 6:36 AM
    Schlappesepple

Schlappesepple New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Rav4 feels like driving a rally car after I drive the 4Runner.

Comes in a hybrid, too (that's arguably better than the gas model).

Trail Runnah likes this.
  28. Aug 22, 2023 at 6:39 AM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    In my case, it's just me on the pavement. Opportunities to go off road are almost nil at this stage of my life, though I used to enjoy mild off-roading when I had my 1988 4Runner. This 4Runner is the most relaxing vehicle to drive that I've ever owned (my 1984 Supra might come close, though, for two people). Driving to and from work for about 45 minutes each way is kind of a break. I drive this vehicle more slowly, and don't get too assed up by idiot drivers. I have a 2006 Scion xA for a commuter, but dang it, I usually take the 4R.

broken-giver likes this.
  29. Aug 22, 2023 at 6:50 AM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    I'm trying to imagine what roads induce pucker in that area. Within High Point itself, you can't get up enough speed to have an issue. I'm guessing it's those tight, steep curves on Hwy 23. I agree that the 4R is wide and ungainly for that kind of driving. I drive slower and more conservatively in my 4R on I-80 and 287 than I would in almost anything else, but I don't mind as long as the radio is there to entertain me. It does surprise me that some members seem to be in denial about on-road handling. Somebody countered one of my observations by asserting that the 4R is "nimble". It is, compared to a double-bottom tractor trailer, but not compared to most other vehicles. That's part of the tradeoff for its other capabilities. Anyway, I hope you find what works for you.

30. Aug 22, 2023 at 7:00 AM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    I drive my 4Runner slowly -- in fact I am usually the slowest vehicle on highway. I am not a slow driver, but I think 4Runner makes me slow down, and I think that is a good thing. I really enjoy highway driving with it.

seakuv, djb1, pastoreater and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top