1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I have a '06 4Runner Ltd. I want to add a grill guard and nerf steps.

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by chickdriver, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Aug 18, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    chickdriver

chickdriver [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 4Runner Ltd
    (a) any suggestions or advice
    (b) do I need to do anything to modify the suspension or otherwise modify the vehicle when I add these parts

2. Aug 18, 2014 at 1:02 PM
    Kelvin

Kelvin New Member

Member:
    a) many will say to get sliders instead of nerf bars, even if you don't do any off roading
    b) nope

3. Aug 18, 2014 at 6:30 PM
    iambeckygoat

iambeckygoat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Becky
    Methuen, MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Super White SR5 4Runner
    x2 with the sliders. I have a set of Shrockworks on order. Had nerf steps on my Tacoma and they end up turning into junk after a few years.

4. Aug 20, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    Emelianenkov

Emelianenkov New Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Andover, MA
    Vehicle:
    2005 V6 Sport Salsa Red Pearl
    Everything and practically anything
    X3 on the sliders!

And don't get a grill guard. They just multiply damage.

Ric likes this.
  5. Aug 30, 2017 at 4:58 PM
    4RunningNashville

4RunningNashville New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 RWD V6 4.0L
    AVS Window Visors, Custom Badged, Resurface Center Dash Paint, Constant Powered 12v Adapter (Front & Rear) / Independant Fog Light Mod / COMING SOON - 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 / Bilstein 5100 / OME 883 Front / 895E Rear
    Hows the Nerf Bar/Sliders and Grill Guard coming along? Have you decided or pulled the trigger?

6. Aug 31, 2017 at 4:24 AM
    Batmango66

Batmango66 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tye
    N.E. Hoosier Land
    Vehicle:
    2006 Limited
    '06 Limited V8 Shadow Mica | USB Charger | OCD Console Organizer| Int. LEDs | Always on Fogs Mod | added LED strip light foot well | Smokers kit | Always on 115v | Always on 12v Cig. Lighter Mod | By-passed TPS | Wind Deflectors | 3/2 Corn Fed | 18" Moto Metal MO962 0 offset with General Grabber AT2 275/65's | Bilstein 5100's | 15% tint min. | 22" LED Light Bar Behind lower Grill | TINMANS Awesome Front Cup Holder. Yeah, I know it's mostly convenience and looks...
    Its your rig, you do what you like. I however would do the sliders as well, they are not that much more expensive, the nerfs I had on my work truck rusted in two years to the point that they actually fell apart. That's not to say sliders won't do the same thing but they are thicker steel and will add protection if you ever get into a situation, the draw back is, good ones will need welded to the frame. I like the looks of bull bars, grill guards and brush guards and unless you crash into or are hit, the damage multiplication does not exist. The weight of either won't require any upgrades. I will say that I did get stainless steel nerfs the second round for the work truck and they did last much longer, drawback is they are chrome. I still have the factory running boards on my pers. rig and have been off road more than a few times and have not had an issue, but I am aware of the fact that there are things I am limited from doing, simply to maintain undamaged equipment and I do worry about them each time I drive off the asphalt. I hope to get sliders after the winter and I did put a bull bar on just to hang a LED bar from it but they are thin metal with zero protection, I did end up removing it because again, each time off road, I worried about it. If you're not going off road or are not in need of high clearance, bolt that stuff on and be happy. Again, it's your rig and nobody should judge anyone for making what's yours, the way that makes you happy or proud that it is yours.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  7. Oct 3, 2017 at 11:22 PM
    dricko

dricko New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick W.
    I have Nfab nerf bars on my rig for 2 years now and no rust issues whatsoever. If you are planning to do some extreme off-roading, I recommend rock sliders with steps since they are more rugged and provide better protection.

Products Discussed in

To Top