1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hurricane and electric vs gas

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by mac1usa, Sep 25, 2022.

1. Sep 27, 2022 at 6:41 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    Agree on micro grids. We need to make it affordable to put panels on peoples roofs, might not help in the big cities, but outside them, there are plenty of roofs.

2. Sep 27, 2022 at 6:46 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    I feel like we're now venturing into the theoretical territory of AC vs DC, which Tesla (the OG, not the car company) and Edison battled out over 100 years ago. Not sure we need to fry another Topsy to prove a point or push an energy solution but maybe the answer lies somewhere in between.

Full disclaimer: I'm not an electrical engineer, I just watch too many documentaries

3. Sep 27, 2022 at 7:15 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    I think the point of smart meters is so the electric company can electronically know how much power you used......rather than send some guy out to creep around your property and read the meter once a month.

Also, the old meters outside your house often just estimate your electricity and gas usage. Smart meters send accurate usage straight to a display in your house and to the power supply companies.

That's my understanding of how they work.

4. Sep 27, 2022 at 7:26 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    Too add to this, I've also seen the "creeper" on your property replaced with people in vehicles with lots of antenna on the truck just drive through the neighborhood collecting measurements. Must faster than a manual reading.

nimby[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Sep 27, 2022 at 7:30 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Yes, I agree! When you think about it logically, if you want a vehicle with ultimate utility, having the ability to use solar for drive batteries should be welcomed.

For ultimate utility, a hybrid would give you a huge advantage.
    -Gas propulsion, for immediate ise
    -Hybrid propulsion that takes advantages of efficiencies such as regen braking and golf cart starting (rolling off the line in electric, and kicking on the ICE at higher speeds).
    -Battery only for stealth operations, spare electrical battery capacity for cooking, a little heat, lighting, and other camp/living needs, and the ability to collect and store larger amounts of solar energy.

It’s actually exciting to think about the possibilities for a hybrid designed to maximize utility. Unfortunately, it doesnt seem like too many manufacturers see this as a market yet, so they focus on maximizing mechanical efficiency or on how hybridization can increase the performance numbers magazines want to print.

A hybrid 4runner could be the best thing ever, or it could be the worst thing ever…all depending on the design brief that’s given to the engineers. If they are told to design it to increase the autonomy of the owner, a regular hybrid or plug-in hybrid could be the most awesome 4runner yet!

Or they could give us a locked down standard hybrid option that prevents an owner from taking advantage of the additional possibilities the electric power would give, which would lead to it sucking.

6. Sep 27, 2022 at 8:41 PM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    You are right about the purpose of smart meters. When I used the term I misspoke. I meant smart thermostats.

nimby[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Sep 27, 2022 at 8:46 PM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    I remember thinking about this when the Rivian was introduced. I imagined a solar panel that folds out like a bat wing awning. I guess the trade off would be surface area to charging time.

8. Sep 28, 2022 at 8:08 AM
    Toffees

Toffees Stuff and things

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    I believe all EVs are able to plug into standard outlets as well as fast charge, but obviously it's slower with a standard plug. In the end this is not too distinct from any other situation; planning helps.

9. Sep 28, 2022 at 8:28 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    I can't say this is with all hybrids, but our prime makes "the holy angels" noise when moving forward at a slow speed, and louder when backing up.

not sure about Tesla, but our Yota can plug into an standard outlet, however I can not use some chargers as they are designed for Tesla.

10. Sep 28, 2022 at 8:30 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
  11. Sep 28, 2022 at 9:16 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    It seems like standardized charging hookups would be a good idea. I would think it would make EV's more appealing to some potential buyers.

Well, that sucks!

I think if I lived in an area where mass evacuation was a regular possibility, I'd keep 20-30 gallons of fuel on hand at all times.

Spare Parts[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Sep 28, 2022 at 9:43 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Umm the shortage thats mentioned is from the pipeline issue a year and a half ago.
    Screenshot_20220928-121200~3.jpg

Thatbassguy likes this.
  13. Sep 28, 2022 at 9:45 AM
    Toffees

Toffees Stuff and things

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    absolutely not an EV expert, but I believe all EVs come with "basic AC" charging connections, so you can simply plug them "into a wall." of course, this can be very slow. then there is "level 2" AC charging, or installing a "home charging station" in your garage. the quick charge stations are DC and have specific connectors; there seem to be a few standards here, and Tesla has their own standard so their charging network is available only the Tesla fleet (or so I understand).

14. Sep 28, 2022 at 9:48 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch

I understand that they all can plug into a standard 120V receptacle. I'm referring to the fast charging station hookups.

15. Sep 28, 2022 at 9:54 AM
    Toffees

Toffees Stuff and things

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    sorry, i guess i get wound up with all of the "haha, how will you charge your EV now!" people when none of these are off-grid hermits and many couldn't survive if they lost an iPhone charger.

I think eventually a standard will win out, it just makes sense. personally i'm sticking with Beta because it is superior technology compared to VHS.

16. Sep 28, 2022 at 10:03 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    That's fine.

I was just making a comment that standardized fast charging availability would help to make them more appealing to more people. The 120V slow charging isn't really sufficient for traveling.

I am guessing that eventually some universal charging stations might start popping up, with the ability to fast charge any type of EV with that capability. They can just charge by the minute, or by amp/hours.

17. Sep 28, 2022 at 10:04 AM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    Yes. I keep 36 gallons in Jerry cans. I use a fuel stabilizer and rotate the fuel once a year when I change the clocks in the spring.

18. Sep 28, 2022 at 10:04 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa [OP] New Member

Member:
    I don't think anyone was really try to be haha how will you charge up; I think all of us here genuinely care for and are praying for the people of Florida; we're all Americans and human beings. Personally speaking I was just thinking through the process of what would be best if I lived there year round (or even part of the year).

Obviously charging would be an issue when you are in a rush to get out, and again when you return if power outages last for extended periods of time.

19. Sep 28, 2022 at 10:11 AM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    Now that’s funny. I can relate to it so well. Correct, yet futile.

Toffees[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Sep 28, 2022 at 10:11 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa [OP] New Member

Member:
    That is probably not a bad idea Capt to stabilize a bunch of cans and keep on hand and rotate. It beats running out and you can easily keep it a year with STABIL

21. Sep 28, 2022 at 10:31 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    my bad, let me find a current article, I saw the story on the news last night and just was looking for an article to post about it.

22. Sep 28, 2022 at 10:32 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
  23. Sep 28, 2022 at 10:43 AM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    Individual gas stations running out here has happened for decades. We just had a couple hundred thousand people move here as well.
    State of emergency was declared a week ago in anticipation.
    I personally saw two tankers topping off here on the east coast last night.
    The unfortunate part is the I-75 corridor will struggle for several days as people head back home to Tampa and Ft. Myers.
    Nothing new here in the alley.
    Sandy in the NE caught the local EMS planning off gaurd is why it took a week for things to start getting back to normal.
    Was a similar situation when the freeze of 89' crippled us here.

24. Sep 28, 2022 at 10:59 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    The thread was about how folks couldn't charge to get evacuated, I was showing that even if you have an ICE, you might not be able to get gas.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    Trail Runnah likes this.
  25. Sep 28, 2022 at 11:55 AM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    I've evacuated numerous times and never had much trouble getting fuel, but if you've never experienced this part of living in Florida, you could be in for some difficulty without proper planning. If you do not have gas the night before landfall, find a shelter.
    This time of year it pays to be a couple days ahead of the curve.
    It will be interesting to see how long these stations will be down.

Just curious, how safe is it to charge an EV in standing water and pouring rain?

2Toys and Trail Runnah like this.
  26. Sep 28, 2022 at 12:19 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    It’s too late at that point.

Growing up in Maine, winter time you always expect a snow storm that will take out power, so fuel tank tends to not get below 1/2, which will get me a few hundred miles to refuel.

edit: also to add, you can keep charging until the power grid goes out, gas stations ran out of fuel, while power was still on.

And to be clear, I’m not taking sides, just showing there are issues with either side.

Trail Runnah likes this.
  27. Sep 28, 2022 at 12:27 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thats way I am in Michigan winters also, never go below half tank not only for cold temps but also storms. We have had a few storms (more so freezing rain) knock out power for 3-4 days. Luckily since I had a full tank could go to my sisters house about 40 miles away that had power and heat.

There is another consideration and rational to keep a fully charged car I guess. I am assuming energy consumption of electricity would be more in colder weather similar to an ICE car in winter (so less distance to be driven as compared to moderate temperature seasons)

Spare Parts likes this.
  28. Sep 28, 2022 at 12:58 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Rumor on the 6th gen is the hybrid version will allow the driver to control the motor so you can put it in "ICE mode", "Hybrid Mode" or "Electric Mode."

That would be pretty awesome if true.

29. Sep 28, 2022 at 12:59 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    It seems like in either case, being prepared is key. In which case, the advantage would lie with an internal combustion engine vehicle.

Those with the electric vehicles can keep a fully charged battery at all times, and then they can drive the full range of their vehicles. At that point, they will need to find somewhere to charge.

Those with ICE vehicles can put a few gas cans in their trunk and extend their range much further. With proper planning, those needing to evacuate Florida could make it to Georgia easily without needing anything.

MI-FL off roader likes this.
  30. Sep 28, 2022 at 1:05 PM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    That would be sweet. I wonder if there are other vehicles that can do that.

Products Discussed in

To Top