1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To: Light bar in lower grille (03-05)

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by wnelax04sr5, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Jul 24, 2016 at 5:40 PM
    wnelax04sr5

wnelax04sr5 [OP] Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 Galactic Gray
    So I've seen this done tons of times and a few different variations of mounting, including a pre fab mount that some guy on t4r is selling. heres how I did it without fabricating anything and only drilling 4 holes.

step 1: buy stuff
    Auxbeam 32" 180w
    https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-1800...TF8&qid=1469406506&sr=8-1&keywords=auxbeam+32
    Universal Harness
    https://www.amazon.com/Mictuning-Un..._SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=K59JRWVRGM7HGHKNNPJM

I then went down to the local hardware store and bought two L brackets, and 4 self tapping screws. Once I piled my parts together I took some measurements.

The first thing I did was make sure that with the bracket connected to the lights mounts it would sit flush with the front of the bumper. Once I knew that it would and that I could start.

Step 1: Cutting. I used a jigsaw with a metal blade to cut out the lower grille. it went through it like a hot knife through butter, and I used a file to smooth out everything and make it look nice
    Step 2: I place the light bar where I wanted it height wise and marked my L brackets so I knew where to drill holes, then I mounted the lights mounts to the L brackets
    Step 3: With the light and L brackets together, I slid it into the spot where I wanted it to sit (flush and centered in the grille), then marked holes to drill
    Step 4: For this part, I took the bumper cover off so it was easier to drill and mount the light.
    Step 5:I drilled pilot holes for my self tapping screws to go in, then had someone hold the light and mounts while I put in the self tapping screws, securing everything
    Step 6: Once tightened, I put the bumper cover back on to make sure it was where I wanted it to be.
    Step 7: Wiring!
    Step 8: Enjoy your light!

Mounts on the frame rails (which are exactly 32" apart)
    IMG_20160724_173759506.jpg

Better shot of where the L bracket mounts to the light

IMG_20160724_173814739.jpg

Finished Product

IMG_20160724_173557522.jpg

drt.trd, Teamroper, SuthrnT4R and 4 others like this.
  2. Aug 24, 2016 at 6:28 AM
    POOLGUY

POOLGUY New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    '08 4RUNNER
    Didn't think about mounting it like that. Nice, clean and simple

To Top