1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How many times do other drivers flash their high beams at you?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by BeavertonCommuter, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Oct 10, 2021 at 2:32 AM
    Dick_Hammerbusch

Dick_Hammerbusch New Member

Member:
    We are Championship
    Vehicle:
    21 Pho Runnah Nighshade
    None
    I don't get high beams flashed at me...

I swear we were all just peeing!

MeefZah likes this.
  2. Oct 10, 2021 at 3:34 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Exactly! The only advantage to running "fog lights" a clear night are; they offer a little more ditch vision. In deer country (Wis.) where we live seeing the deer before it makes the decision to commit suicide is good! I still will turn the fogs off when meeting another vehicle, the last thing I need is to blind a oncoming 4000 lb. vehicle. As far as getting 'flashed', I don't think it has happened to us that I recall. Stock 4Runner head lights here.

ElectroBoy likes this.
  3. Oct 10, 2021 at 9:37 AM
    Schlappesepple

Schlappesepple New Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP, 2021 Rav4 Hybrid
    This looks the same as Taco lights: you can use a #2 Phillips screwdriver down that slot from the top, a little easier than the small moves with the wrench.

The ridged washer looking thing works like a bevel gear with the screwdriver.

4. Oct 10, 2021 at 9:43 AM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    Lifted but I did an alignment. Still get flashed with hi beams. OEM 2013 lights.

5. Oct 10, 2021 at 9:44 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I tried with a Phillips screwdriver in one of my 4Rs in the past it was hard for me. I was able to adjust pretty accurately with a socket left & right. I scratched the plastic around with the screwdriver as well. So me personally won't recommend screwdriver :(

6. Oct 10, 2021 at 10:03 AM
    suaveflooder

suaveflooder New Member

Member:
    i’ve has the same experience. I live in the mountains. I get flashed on my way down the hill almost every day. I have not gotten flashed at once in the city. Funny thing is that it is usually the people that flash me that have the brightest lights ha

mrmike7189 likes this.
  7. Oct 12, 2021 at 11:03 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    If you think your fogs are annoying other drivers, they can be turned off. The normal way to run is with your fogs off. Also, Ive never had a vehicle that allowed fogs to run while your high beams are on.

On the other hand, lots of people think fogs are dumb to run in clear weather. But as was mentioned, in deer country, they sure do help widen the visibility close to the vehicle. It can give you a split second advantage with the wildlife. Also, stock fogs (at least the stock leds on my 21) have a very sharp, low cutoff. It shouldn’t really bother other drivers.

8. Oct 12, 2021 at 11:09 AM
    Bodie the Dog

Bodie the Dog New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 4runner TEP, 1994 SR5
    Toytec 3/2 lift, Shrockworks sliders, Shrockworks rear bumper, ARB diff mod, 8 pod RGB LED's, RCI steel front skids, Big Sky katana rack, Reese roof rack
    This happens to me a lot when I'm out in the desert, on long straight roads. I had one trip where something like a half dozen big rigs flashed their lights at me. This does not happen to me in town too often. I have a fairly mild lift (3/2"), but never readjusted my headlights.

9. Oct 12, 2021 at 11:10 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    100%..!! Why I keep them on.

10. Oct 12, 2021 at 11:13 AM
    Bodie the Dog

Bodie the Dog New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 4runner TEP, 1994 SR5
    Toytec 3/2 lift, Shrockworks sliders, Shrockworks rear bumper, ARB diff mod, 8 pod RGB LED's, RCI steel front skids, Big Sky katana rack, Reese roof rack
    Deer can kill you, but I'm more scared of feral horses. They are big and stupid. My great uncle got killed by a horse through the windshield.

kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Oct 12, 2021 at 11:24 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    OMG...!!! horses? Never seen a horse running across the road. That would be scary.

12. Oct 12, 2021 at 11:33 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    yeah, deer are little squirrels compared to some of the road-going wildlife some people have to deal with. Along with horse, I’d hate to deal with moose. Take the legs out from either of these animals and your car is getting crushed!

13. Oct 12, 2021 at 3:53 PM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    Having trouble understanding this.

First, from the little bit of research I've done, fog lights ideally don't illuminate the road more than about 30 feet in front of your vehicle. Since the pattern is typically fan-shaped, they can't illuminate more than maybe 20 feet to the extreme right or left. This is by design - to help you drive slowly and be able to see the edge of the road.

Your headlights, properly adjusted, illuminate a bit farther off to the side of the road, and farther ahead, than fog lights, on a clear night. So you should be able to see that deer considerably earlier with regular low- or high-beams than you ever would with your fog lights.

At 25 mph (unlikely on a clear night), you're traveling at about 37 feet per second. So your fogs, properly adjusted, won't illuminate that deer until it's a second away. If you're doing 50, it's 0.5 seconds. Meanwhile, your low-beams made the deer visible maybe 150-200 feet away or more. Keep in mind we're talking about driving with fog lights on a clear night.

So I don't understand how fog lights, on a clear night, illuminating a deer 20 feet off the side of the road where it's already almost right beside you, can help much at all. I live in the country too, and travel deer-infested territory. So I am familiar with the scenarios. Perhaps I'm ignorant, but I have been driving a long time and a lot of miles.

mynameistory and ElectroBoy like this.
  14. Oct 12, 2021 at 4:19 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Here's a screen capture from one of my future videos. Fog lights add little bit of light to the sides. May be theoretically its useless but in my mind it "feels safe"..:)
    FogsUntitled.jpg

Bodie the Dog likes this.
  15. Oct 12, 2021 at 5:34 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    It’s not the deer that are far out that are a problem. They are just as likely to become visible at the very last second. Hell, deer will nail the side of your car if spooked the right way (or wrong way). The side visibility the fogs provide literally only buy you a split second, but if you can scrub a little speed off you can give that deer a split second to use its reflexes to jump, spook it into slipping and falling, or the sound of maximum braking can cause it to turn. It’s all a bit of russian roulette, but all things equal, any speed you can scrub off before impact is more likely to help than hurt.

16. Oct 13, 2021 at 11:44 AM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    Just so y'all know, there ARE horses that run across the road. Especially in Arizona, where there are wild herds running loose all over the place. No fences along the roads, or anything. I lost my left eye when I ran square into a horse, back in 92.

It was the monday before Thanksgiving, on my way to work, just before dawn. Kawasaki Police Special bike. Picture Ponch and John's bikes, if anyone remembers them. I took off the red-n-blue lights, and replaced them with real bright white lights. I saw the light tan horse run across the road, left to right. Figured, no trouble, I'll just swing around behind him as he runs across the road. No traffic at all. Just before I passed behind him, the BLACK horse right behind him turned the white blaze on his face towards me. All I remember, until a couple of guys found me walking around in circles picking up pieces of the bike. They told me I had to lay down, I'd hit a horse. They guided me off the side of the road, and I passed out there. He was in the ditch, thrashing around, bleeding from the nose and mouth.
    They went and got a couple Border Patrol agents manning a checkpoint a few miles back down the highway. They were able to call for an ambulance for me. They also asked permission to put the horse out of his misery. DENIED! Only BLM could do that, and they couldn't get there for 1 hour. The BP agents were totally disgusted, rightfully so.

The bikes fiberglass, the fairing and "saddle bags" were destroyed, my left eye was out of commision, but the rest of the bike was surprising in good shape. Afterwards, we figured the horse reared up at the last second, rode the fairing up, and scraped me off the back. Bike and I went bouncing down the highway. I had a beautiful bright yellow stripe down the side of my helmet. Bounced off the centerline a few times, which knocked my retina loose, and caused the lens to cataract over. They tried to repair the retina, and pulled the lens out. I could wear glasses to at least focus at one range, IF the retina stayed in place. No such luck. It tore loose by the next morning. So now I'm just an old, one-eyed, fat man, if I can borrow a movie line.

So yeah, horses are rough on cars, but killer for motorcyclists. I figure I won that round, though. After all, the horse died at the scene, after suffering for about 15 minutes. Drowned in his own blood, due to some petty bureaucrat showing off his power. NO, you guys can't put him out of his suffering, only the great BLM persons can do that!. Stupid bureaucrats!

Beware of horses, mooses, deer, and the feral hogs in Texas and such!
    Pat☺

17. Oct 13, 2021 at 3:15 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    If anyone is flashing you then something is wrong with your headlights. There are only so many possibilities.
    1. They are adjusted wrong, too high, or aimed too far left into the oncoming lane. This can be exacerbated by having a lift, leveling the front end, or carrying a heavy load.
    2. You have replaced OEM headlights with crap LED drop ins that create upward glare.
    3. You have aftermarket retrofits or OEM LED headlamps which are quite bright even when properly adjusted, and when cresting hills will momentarily blind or annoy oncoming traffic.
    4. You are driving with your fogs on in clear weather. Even though fogs are aimed low they can reflect off of shiny road surfaces or snow or wet pavement into the oncoming traffic. You don’t notice it but they do.

Getting/not getting flashed is not a great way to test your lights. After proper adjustment see for yourself. Park your 4R where it’s dark and safe with lights on. Get in another car and drive towards it to see what other drivers experience. Try this in various road surface scenarios, you may be surprised how they look.

mynameistory and Daddykool like this.
  18. Oct 13, 2021 at 4:20 PM
    4scooter19

4scooter19 New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 and 86 4Runners
  19. Oct 13, 2021 at 4:22 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    LooooooooooL...!!!!

20. Oct 13, 2021 at 4:22 PM
    r32

r32 New Member

Member:
    Never. My headlights are so yellowed and worn, sometimes I wonder if they are even on.

21. Oct 13, 2021 at 4:23 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    Something About Mary FTMFW

22. Oct 13, 2021 at 6:52 PM
    Dick_Hammerbusch

Dick_Hammerbusch New Member

Member:
    We are Championship
    Vehicle:
    21 Pho Runnah Nighshade
    None
    Man I am so glad you got the reference! I use that in real life convos and no one gets s***!

23. Oct 14, 2021 at 3:45 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    I have the same problem quoting movies and then it's just crickets from the group

24. Oct 14, 2021 at 7:46 AM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    Frankly, it’s because they don’t give a damn. :rolleyes:

25. Oct 14, 2021 at 8:15 AM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    Ugh...

26. Oct 14, 2021 at 8:20 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
  27. Oct 14, 2021 at 8:29 AM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    That’s what movie quotes generally are…

28. Oct 14, 2021 at 6:21 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    “Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I’d never know cause I wouldn’t eat the filthy mother f*ckr” is a quote I strive to use in every day life. Haven’t had much success though…

That is all. Carry on.

MeefZah and 2Toys like this.
  29. Oct 15, 2021 at 1:29 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    I'm lousy at movie quotes, mainly because I don't watch many movies.

My all time favorite is "Not bad, for an old, one-eyed, fat man, Marshall!" Mostly because I am an old, one-eyed, fat man :D :der: :rofl:

Have fun, all!
    Pat☺

ElectroBoy and McSpazatron like this.
  30. Oct 15, 2021 at 5:19 PM
    JaSC

JaSC New Member

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Black 2018 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, crawl control and MTS
    ToyTec Lift, Dual Batt Redarc. Rear safe drawer, console safe, Aux 2004 JGC fuse box, Warn bumper, 12,000lb winch
    Reflection off of animals eyes IMO. If it's a result of main lights or the white, round lights under them I can't confirm, but every bit helps. We have deer and foxes that like to hang out in ditches of side of road. I actually plan on adding hood mounted ditch lights pointed more out to the side and down soon.

2Toys likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top