1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How does ordering work for non-Pro 4Runners?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by jlficken, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Jul 22, 2021 at 12:47 PM
    LakeEffect

LakeEffect New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Pro Lunar Rock
    Makes perfect sense. That is exactly what you do. Make sure you get what you want and you pay what you want. Don't rush into anything and don't settle for anything, that way there are no regrets!

jlficken[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  2. Jul 22, 2021 at 1:21 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    I wonder if the Toyota dealerships will ever get back to the way they were just a few years ago. In 2013, I sent emails to the 3 local Toyota dealerships saying I was in the market for a new 2013 TRD Off Road Access Cab Tacoma in MGM. Only one responded right away, and they had the exact truck I wanted (albeit taken from an incoming shipment destined for one of the other dealerships that they could snag). I made the deal by email, drove over there one afternoon and drove away with my truck. I didn't even test drive it. After the sale, the other two dealerships hounded me for weeks trying to sell me that same configured truck.

Then, in 2019, I sold my Tacoma & Jeep Rubicon, and had cash to purchase a 2019 OR 4R. I hunted through the same 3 dealership's inventories, found what I wanted at one, sent an email, went in for a test drive, and left with the exact 4R I was looking for.

Now it's all about allocations, ordering, hoping for the best. Will dealer inventories ever build back up again...?

3. Jul 22, 2021 at 1:23 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    That is correct, it’s an option on the Premium. Doesn’t make sense, the O.R. it’s standard, but the Premium you pay extra.

4. Jul 22, 2021 at 1:26 PM
    jlficken

jlficken [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '22 Starfire Pearl GX 460 Black Line Edition
    I'm not sure where you're getting this information but there's no Moonroof option on the TRD OR (non-Premium) in the US.
    [​IMG]

5. Jul 22, 2021 at 1:30 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    I’m not sure now either. Thanks for providing correct info.

But in my defense, I’ve have been comparing all of the trims trying to decide what checks the most boxes for me. And I continue to not spend much time on the OR as I don’t like the chrome bumper. One of the reasons I was ok dumping our limited we just had.

6. Jul 22, 2021 at 1:33 PM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    What chrome bumper would that be?

7. Jul 22, 2021 at 1:41 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Maybe bumper isn’t the right word, but this bright chin.
    4B71A702-231D-465D-8651-D232A350CB43.jpg

I hate it, I like this better.
    3A9C08B0-B9EE-4D12-B21E-5F4E4039BF19.jpg

8. Jul 22, 2021 at 1:42 PM
    jlficken

jlficken [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    No problem.

The SR5 Premium and Off-Road Premium have an optional moonroof while the Limited and TRD Pro have a required moonroof.

9. Jul 22, 2021 at 1:43 PM
    jlficken

jlficken [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That's not chrome. It's Classic Silver in color.

I'm not a fan of it either.

Spare Parts[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jul 22, 2021 at 2:08 PM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Doesn't bother me. But if the 4R has all the other features you want, but with that silver valance - it's easily fixed.

11. Jul 22, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    stann

stann New Member

Member:
    pandemic, supply chain issues and chip shortage.
    can’t compare previous buying experiences and prices to things pre-covid which is why it’s best to wait for the market to come back down unless you have the money to spend or are in that big need of a new vehicle

12. Jul 22, 2021 at 2:58 PM
    olliechristoper

olliechristoper New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    You might very well want to wait. That's what I am doing. As soon as my wife inherited the cabin I started setting up my 2wd truck for the commute. Spending money on TruTrac and gearing change, New Michelin Defender tires, sizing up my snow chains, replacing leaking heater core, and all of the other minor repairs just made more since instead of dropping serious cash a new vehicle at outrageous markup.

By the time 2022-2023 models come around the hopefully the market is going to drop like a heavy rock and it will be back do getting a lot of vehicles at or under invoice again.

13. Jul 22, 2021 at 3:00 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Silver, chrome..I hate it.

if it comes down to it, yes something can be done. I just didn’t want to deal with it on our limited, and if I can get what I want with out it, I will. Thinking MGM Pro at this point, I was waiting to see what colors the venture was going to be offered, and from what I can find, it will only be the invisible colors.

14. Jul 22, 2021 at 3:02 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    I’m thinking I trade in my taco at inflated price, it makes up for paying MSPR, but if I can get a PRO at MSRP, I’ll be ahead in the game.

15. Jul 22, 2021 at 3:53 PM
    7th District

7th District New Member

Member:
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 SR5 Premium
    That’s what I did back when I wanted WRX STi.

It was late in the model year (October) and my local Subaru dealer in Northern Michigan was sold out of the current model year. There were no new ones in the whole state on Autotrader either.

My local dealer told me he could order me a 2014 and he’d even do me the courtesy of not charging me a surcharge. Just full MSRP. I wasn’t impressed. I’m willing to pay my fair share, put like to avoid a full fleecing.

Well I hopped back on Autotrader & saw that there were 2 in Tennessee, 1 in Knoxville & the other in Nashville. I stuck a better rapport with the salesmen in Knoxville & struck a deal over the phone.

2 days later we drove down to buy it. The next day we were breaking it in on the Tail of the Dragon. I’d guess I spent the better part of $800 with the one way rental, food, lodging etcetera. But they knocked off $2,500 off MSRP & we had the heck of a fun 4 day weekend.

16. Jul 23, 2021 at 4:43 PM
    jlficken

jlficken [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I found out the other dealer I was speaking with can and is ordering me a '22 ORP exactly as I want it but he mentioned an "order bank" and I wasn't sure what that is?

Getting a ORP w/o the moonroof isn't normal for my region but he's already spoke to who he needed to in order to make it happen for me.

He'll get back in touch with me when they have the VIN and get a deposit from me.

Now I'm happy!

Spare Parts likes this.
  17. Jul 27, 2021 at 12:15 PM
    wfxt

wfxt Still figuring it out

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayleigh
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM 4R TRD Pro
    My dealer tried ordering very specific options, and none of them were available at the time to allocate to the vehicle. Otherwise might have gotten the integrated dashcam. As it was, I had to even get the retractable cargo cover and step bars myself. Although now I wish I had just waited and gotten proper sliders.

18. Aug 9, 2021 at 8:06 AM
    jlficken

jlficken [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It appears my build wasn't chosen during the drawing that happened last week so I guess I'll just have to wait patiently for mine to be selected.

I did have another dealer call me about being allocated 4 ORP's so I'm not sure what to think now. I'm starting to think that getting one exactly how I want it isn't a realistic possibility which also makes me question why Toyota even bothers having a build site since you can't realistically build a 4Runner.

19. Aug 9, 2021 at 8:30 AM
    LakeEffect

LakeEffect New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Pro Lunar Rock
    You can specifically build a 4Runner. The problem you are having is the allocation process. Toyota does it differently from other manufacturers because they find this works better. They assess demand for a region and then they accept orders depending on where they will sell them. The whole process has become more complicated due to the chip crisis/pandemic, etc.

LandCruiser likes this.
  20. Aug 9, 2021 at 8:33 AM
    jlficken

jlficken [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:

That's what confuses me. This is a guaranteed sale for them if they just build it for me.

I'm just complaining I guess which won't help anything. It just confuses me.

21. Aug 9, 2021 at 9:13 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Yeah I had to wait for the dealer allocation to be accepted in March. I had four dealers turn me down. Finally I got one who said give them $2k deposit and wait two weeks for an allocation which I finally got for an ORP. My advice is call smaller dealer. The larger ones placed their allocations early I think for what they would sell. If you want custom build call smaller volume dealer

22. Aug 9, 2021 at 9:23 AM
    jlficken

jlficken [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I've tried now with probably the 2 smallest dealers in the state in towns of 35K people. I was told by the one I'm currently working with that I got in before they placed their allocations but now I'm not sure what to think.

I think I'm just going to wait a few months and see if it happens. If not then I'll just try to find one on the lot or just forget about it until next year and just stick with one vehicle.

I'm just kind of over it at this point for now. It'd be different if I really needed it but I don't so I'll just keep saving money and put it out of my mind.

Products Discussed in

To Top