1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How Can I bring my 4Runner back to life?

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Tactical 4Runner, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Feb 18, 2018 at 9:54 AM
    Tactical 4Runner

Tactical 4Runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 White SR5
    I've had my 4Runner for 2 years now. And I'm not gonna lie, I don't take care of her as good as I should. I want to invest more into her cause i know these cars can run a long time. Currently she's at 170xxx and due for an oil change. What other maintenance aspects should I look at? I've been having issues with the battery dying rather quickly if the key is half turned with the radio running but AAA technician ran a test and said the battery is in good condition. Any help is appreciated!!

2. Feb 18, 2018 at 11:44 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R TRD Offroad
    2018 T4R Offroad SAS 1995 Tacoma
    Don't have the radio on unless your driving.

Change all fluids to synthetic. Front and rear differentials, transmission, transfer case, engine oil, and flush the coolant and put Toyota coolant in it. Keep up with all other maintenance and enjoy her.

HoBoDanny and Joynerstyle like this.
  3. Feb 18, 2018 at 12:24 PM
    topdec

topdec New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 4R ORP CSM 2023 Tundra LTD ORP. 2016 4R TE (sold)
    Without seeing service records, it's difficult to suggest, but I'd check for "low-hanging fruit"...

- Is oil leaking? Is there oil on the ground or around the engine? Address this on your next oil change.
    - Visually inspect if the brake pads need replacing. I would replace them if they're around 2mm thick.
    - Is there steering wheel vibration while braking? If so, get your brake rotors turned for $15/piece
    - Visually inspect or feel for tire tread life. Are the tires' tread wear bar flush with the tire surface? If so, you need to replace the tires
    - Is the engine light indicator on? For around $20- you can do some diagnostics with an EOBD II reader.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  4. Feb 18, 2018 at 8:41 PM
    Tactical 4Runner

Tactical 4Runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 White SR5
    Thank you for that insight!
    Currently my timing cover is leaking and I'm already getting that fixed. My tire pressure sensor is broken I think (I reset it after filling tires). My driver side mirror is busted (already ordered replacement oem part). But I do also have shaking in the steering wheel. So I'll look into that. My tire treads are getting thin but one thing at a time (or paycheck by paycheck).
    I also want to know if and when I need to look into getting an alignment?
    I openly admit my ignorance on automobiles and just need direction lol.

5. Feb 19, 2018 at 9:09 AM
    topdec

topdec New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 4R ORP CSM 2023 Tundra LTD ORP. 2016 4R TE (sold)
    I think visually inspecting for uneven tire wear is a good starting point in understanding if the truck needs alignment.

Steering wheel vibration at higher speeds (> 50mph) can be an indication of unbalanced tires.

Vibration on acceleration might be caused by an axle issue from a previous collision.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  6. Feb 20, 2018 at 8:10 AM
    Caltech90

Caltech90 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD OR
    Check your belts/pulleys/hoses, (timing belt if you have the 4.7 V8).

7. May 4, 2019 at 5:34 AM
    chassis

chassis New Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Sold: 2005 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD
    This vehicle is well known for draining the battery when the alternator is not charging. As suggested, don't run the electrical accessories unless the engine is running.

To bring the vehicle back to life, take one step at a time, and do the easy stuff first. A leaking timing cover is a big job, and you will want to do other things in combination with the timing cover (water pump, fan clutch, possibly power steering pump and radiator).

Do the regular maintenance and it will get you in the groove with the vehicle:

- engine oil+filter change
    - engine air filter
    - top up all fluids: steering, coolant, wiper washer, brakes
    - change all lubricants: front axle, transfer case, transmission, rear axle
    - replace all bulbs that are burned out
    - replace the front headlamp assemblies, assuming they are hazed
    - serpentine belt
    - tires replaced and balanced
    - brake pads and rotors

After you have done all of the above, you will have the knowledge of what the vehicle needs. Bigger jobs can be prioritized, such as cylinder head gasket, or suspension and driveline work.

SlvrSlug likes this.
  8. May 4, 2019 at 2:09 PM
    Allaboutfamily

Allaboutfamily Regular Hound Dog

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner trd off road premium
    Just because it tests good doesn’t mean it is good. You can have a bad battery sometimes pass a load/draw down test and still be bad. As cheap as a battery is, if it were me I’d replace it with a new one.

And besides the obvious fluid changes, you should initially start off repairing safety related items FIRST.

I’d put it up on jack stands and crawl underneath while having someone turn the wheel side to side and look for excessive play in steering/suspension components. Pull wheels and check brakes/rotors, and also check wheel bearings and balljoints.

chassis likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top