1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Honest Opinion lift install.

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Crossfit4Runner, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Sep 15, 2020 at 5:47 PM
    Crossfit4Runner

Crossfit4Runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road Permium
    To many to list
    I ordered the Toytec Boss 2.0 lift to install with my son. Neither of us are car guys per say but I am mechanically inclined.
    How hard are these really to install? I’ve watched so many videos, half of which I think I can do this the other half with the torquing and ball joint removal make me think no way.
    I’d hate to get in the middle of it and find out I’m in way over my head and have my ride all torn apart.
    My bad didn’t catch the spellcheck on torque and not torch. Sucks getting old with fat thumbs

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  2. Sep 15, 2020 at 6:08 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Many of us have done our own work. Some are more mechanically inclined than others. You shouldn't need a torch on a 2018. Keep watching videos. Make sure you have all of the parts before starting. Having another person to help is huge. If you're mechanically inclined, you should be fine.

A&P, nimby and Crossfit4Runner[OP] like this.
  3. Sep 15, 2020 at 7:13 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Are you also installing UCA's?

You don't need to remove the ball joint when just replacing shocks/coils. I know some videos show that you do, but there are others that show you how to do it without messing with the ball joints.

A&P and Thatbassguy like this.
  4. Sep 15, 2020 at 7:21 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    I think the hardest part is getting the spring safely on the coilover for the front. If it doesn't come assembled.

But you should be able to get a shop to slap it together for you. I've always stayed away from those spring compressors.

5. Sep 16, 2020 at 6:50 AM
    Crossfit4Runner

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    To many to list
    Yes I’m doing UCA’s. Maybe I’ll give it a shot.

A&P likes this.
  6. Sep 16, 2020 at 6:59 AM
    newlife

newlife Not all who wander are ...... squirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2021 venture 22 JTR
    All of them.
    If you have the tools it’s not that hard. I had my Tacoma down to less than hour to swap out coil overs for the front with hand tools and a good floor jack. Granted all the setups I had were pre assembled but changing out the coils isn’t bad. When I did my first ome on the Tacoma I didn’t have spring compressors. I used my jack and leverage on the lca to compress the springs and re attach the top hat. Basically you bolt the top into position with the three top bolts. Put the spring and shock assembly in where it goes bolt the lower shock assembly in so it doesn’t kick out then jack up the lca until the spring is through the top hat enough to bolt it down. It’s certainly not the best way but it can be done.

7. Sep 16, 2020 at 7:02 AM
    Huzer21

Huzer21 New Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 GX 460
    Do you have KDSS? I've heard that can make it more difficult, but don't have first hand experience there.

I did it solo on my rig. It wasn't hard work, but my fronts did come preassembled, so that helped save some time. I did wish I had a helper or maybe a third arm when I was getting the coilover assembly back in.

8. Sep 16, 2020 at 7:09 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    With UCA's, you'll obviously be working with ball joints then. Still no big deal.

The worst part of a suspension install like this is the anticipation of not knowing exactly what to expect beforehand.

Once you get in there, you'll realize that it's all pretty easy and straightforward. Mostly just loosening bolts, replacing parts, and tightening bolts back up again.

You got it.

9. Sep 16, 2020 at 9:19 AM
    Crossfit4Runner

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    To many to list
    No KDSS. Toytec come preassembled

10. Sep 16, 2020 at 9:21 AM
    Crossfit4Runner

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    To many to list
    I think you’re right on here. I got all worked up about doing the exhaust. It turned out to be a piece of cake.

nimby[QUOTED] and Thatbassguy like this.
  11. Sep 17, 2020 at 6:20 PM
    moorei2

moorei2 New Member

Member:
    New York
    I have never done any real work on cars. A couple months back my 6112/5160 started leaking in the rear driver side. I decided to replace it myself with Dobinson setup. The shocks were preassembled and I didn't do UCAs initially and I was able to replace the front and rear suspension over a weekend. I had to also deal with KDSS.

I think you will be fine. Only thing I would say that is that if you have an impact gun, it will help breaking free bolts. After I finished, I went out and added an electric impact gun for future work.

7385 and Crossfit4Runner[OP] like this.
  12. Sep 19, 2020 at 7:40 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Pinstripes, lots of em. Plus a couple dents.
    http://www.bkstrucks.com/ in Springfield installed my Eibach Pro Truck Lift for $500 (including wheel alignment).
    Not having a spring compressor and watching the videos on how to install it w/o I realized, I would be better off having a Pro do it. He has the tools and knowledge.

7385, Crossfit4Runner[OP] and gunsnob like this.
  13. Sep 20, 2020 at 6:42 AM
    Crossfit4Runner

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    To many to list
    I went to auto zone a rented the tools. I’m gonna give it a shot today. Time and patience are gonna be key today.

ATX14, 7385, nimby and 3 others like this.
  14. Sep 20, 2020 at 7:21 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Good luck!

Let us know how it turns out.

DRobs, 7385 and Thatbassguy like this.
  15. Sep 20, 2020 at 5:32 PM
    Crossfit4Runner

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    To many to list
    Let me say never again. Maybe for a younger guy with a buddy who knows what they are doing. I got the front done but it took me all day. Passenger side was a pain and I made a lot of mistakes. Drivers side went a lot easier because I learned from those mistakes.
    I do have sense of satisfaction after completing the front end. I’m probably gonna call my local guy and have him finish the back and double check my work on the front and get a front end alignment.

DRobs, ATX14, nimby[QUOTED] and 2 others like this.
  16. Sep 20, 2020 at 5:39 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    What issues did you have? Sorry to hear it was difficult! I will admit that I had a lot of help. I figured you'd be alright with the kid helping out.

I seem to recall the rear being easier, if you're on the fence about doing it. But, you will need an alignment regardless.

17. Sep 20, 2020 at 6:19 PM
    Crossfit4Runner

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    To many to list
    Honestly the main thing was being 51 my son just was there mainly for support. YouTube just makes things look so easy.
    First I jacked from the crossmember and both sides went to extreme extension. So I had to figure out how to get it sort of back to neutral to get the UCA off. That was a pain and I was constantly worrying about brake lines Etc.
    Second I was trying to do it with out taking of the sway bar and all the brake line brackets which I should have just done right off the bat. That’s what made the second side so much easier. The sway bar was gone I removed all the brackets. The drive side though I had to pull my battery because the UCA bolt was hitting on a bracket under the tray. I managed out of sheer luck to have the jack situation perfect that the shock and UCA came out easier the second time.
    The other main pain was that third back nut on the shocks. I didn’t have a ratchet wrench and with the rust I was only able to get about a 1/4 turn each go around. So that took forever. I know the back is supposed to be a lot easier I’m just not sure I want to tackle it. This was a humbling experience for me.

DRobs, nimby, SlvrSlug and 1 other person like this.
  18. Sep 20, 2020 at 6:32 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

It sounds like you're going to be feeling it in the morning! :D it's definitely a good amount of work. Hopefully you get a good deal on the remaining work. And, I get what you're saying about being 51. I'm just about to hit 42, and I definitely don't enjoy working on cars as much as I used to!

19. Sep 20, 2020 at 7:28 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Sorry to hear you had trouble :pout:

Crossfit4Runner[OP] likes this.
  20. Sep 21, 2020 at 5:19 AM
    Crossfit4Runner

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    To many to list
    My son and I learned a lot. We were in way over our head with no experience but I didn’t give up and got the front done. Lesson learned for him just because it’s hard doesn’t mean you should give up.

nimby[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Sep 21, 2020 at 5:53 AM
    ThePnsh3r

ThePnsh3r New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRDOP
    Invest into a good torque wrench and take your time. There is a YouTube video for just about anything nowadays - and you have all of us here to assist

Products Discussed in

To Top