1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High mileage concerns

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by 1bailey, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Apr 16, 2016 at 10:06 PM
    1bailey

1bailey [OP] New Member

Member:
    New to the forum and seeking advice on buying a used 4Runner with high mileage. I had a great experience with an old '96, so I'm comfortable with the longevity of the 3.4l, but I put the miles on that one. I'm looking for another one, and in my price range it will have high mileage. Buying at 200k scares me a bit. I was wondering about the feasibility of replacing the 3.4l, if need be. Any suggestions on where to look for used 3.4 engines? Also, a list of preventative work suggested on a model in this shape, not knowing it's service history. When did timing belts go to chains?

Thx!

2. Apr 17, 2016 at 12:58 PM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    @Ol'Blue Might be able to chime in on this

3. Apr 17, 2016 at 4:06 PM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    Vehicle:
    99 T4R LTD- 33's and locked, 01 SR5-,SAS Sold...
    A few things here and there. Still dreaming up stuff
    Ok so I will make this short because you can actually see what I'm talking about.

I just cracked open a truck I knew nothing about that had 215 k on it. Short story is I'm using the engine for my other 4runner. It had a little intake gasket leak but that's it. Look close at the cylinder walls on the picture. You can still see the factory machine marks on the block. It's because the rings are good quality and so are the rest of the lower end parts in the 3.4 . Now the top end gaskets are just that gaskets. They all have a shelf life period I don't care what anyone tells you. So- buy a 4Runner and put aside 2500.00 for rock solid maint after you buy it. The a set of head gaskets in it and do a timing belt kit and you will be good to go for at least 200k before you have to do another head gasket job. Do the t belt every 90k between that and your golden. That the bottom line. Other than that put fresh fluids in them and tour good.

Blue.

Look at the heads and the valves. There was no marks on them. This engine was big time fuel rich because the t body but all that carbon I'll take care of once engine is running again.

20160417_144949.jpg
    20160417_145353.jpg
    20160417_145135.jpg

4. Apr 17, 2016 at 4:10 PM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That second pic- you can see the rings around each cylinder. There is no break in the gasket and that's OE at 215,000 miles. If I wanted to I could have just stopped at the intake gasket but I wanted to make sure the head gasket was not going to be an issue because it's my every day driver. The heads will get cleaned up at the machine shop and checked out but by looking at this I'm sure they are fine.

Hope this helps you out and gives you the proof in the pudding and helps you under stand why people pay high prices for a 4runner with 200k in the clock.

Blue

5. Apr 17, 2016 at 4:21 PM
    1bailey

1bailey [OP] New Member

Member:
    Just what I needed. Thanks for your service to the country and your time in sharing your expertise. I'll send you a pic soon.

Bob likes this.
  6. Apr 17, 2016 at 6:35 PM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    No worries man.

Products Discussed in

To Top