1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Here she is. More pics to come

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Palerider, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Sep 11, 2016 at 4:34 AM
    drmr31

drmr31 NOT teq. It's toyota.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    FLX Region, NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 4RUNNER TRD Pro [quicksand] "Chief"
    1-1/2" Fnt Leveling: Bilstein to Toytec preloading spacer
    I don't want to stray from the color discussion in this thread, but it would be a dark day and end of Toyota 4Runners (as we know and love them) if they move to a unibody. I haven't heard anything about the 6th Gen, but I did inquire about contacting the Engineering Div-- I have a shit-ton of mod suggestions. All and All, the Pro has been a winner for us over the Jeep Wranger Rubicon Hard Rock. WOW, can I utter the word "Jeep" on this forum? That's another story! Back to color... It seems to me that if Toyota is reinventing some of the fun throwback body colors, their targeting a buyers market. If I had a few things to convey to Toyota about the 6th gen, it would be to ease-up on the crash test/crumple zone bumpers allowing for easier bumper mods. Larger wheel wells to accommodate slightly larger tires without a lift would be a huge plus!

Palerider[OP] likes this.
  2. Sep 11, 2016 at 6:35 AM
    Palerider

Palerider [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD PRO quicksand
    Installed Rago brackets and 4" cube ditch lights. Weather tech mats. Cargo net. Cargo mat. Ordered Gobi rack with ladder.
    image.jpg Couldn't agree with you more. That's why I'm dreading tearing into mine. My F-350 has a simple front bumper design that allows easy modification. Regarding the 6thgen, if they do go to a unibody they will ruin the feel of this truck. On a lighter note, here is the finished skid plate.

Greenbean likes this.
  3. Sep 11, 2016 at 7:09 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Toyota themselves proudly market the 4Runner as one of the last Body on Frame SUVs, and since the Highlander and Rav4 are unibody and fit the size niche of the 4Runners both bigger and smaller, I'd expect Toyota to keep this as BoF. This the is the #2 highest resale vehicle on planet earth (Tacoma is #1, Jeep Wranlger Unlimited #3). They likely don't want to affect that.

Also, being a 3rd Gen Tacoma owner also, the engine is actually very decent and doesn't really have any complaints, it's mainly the transmission people are having trouble with. But here's a few factors:

1. The engine power band starts around 2500 rpm and goes to 4500 rpm, so it's not "low down torque," but when it hits it, it jams you back in the seat for a stock 3.5L motor.
    2. The transmissions after learning me for about 1500 miles feel much more responsive, and the amount of issues on the forums are the few having issues, hitting up every thread, and poo-pooing.
    3. Most owners are very happy after the Transmission TSB, and here's a bonus fact:
    a. I have gotten up to 24.5MPG average trip MPG on highway trips several times, with a TRD Off Road 4x4 w/ no air dam in the front, A/T Tires. That's surprising.
    4. 4Runners are built in Japan, higher quality control, and I'd HOPE will use the same hydraulic engine mounts in the Lexus vehicles for the 3.5L engine instead of the rubber in the Tacoma, it just makes the engine feel more smooth.

4. Sep 11, 2016 at 7:16 AM
    Greenbean

Greenbean BS Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    That right there is a reason the wife and I are also considering a 2017 TRD OR Taco...

I know the tires are a P rated 4-ply but still. To see that is very very appealing to us.

I know if I go into a V8 T4R I am not going to see 20 at all no matter what. WNC is not as high as living in the Rockies but I am lucky to get 19 MPG City Driving out of my 2015 4-cyl MT Tacoma right now. This is after moving to a 2654/75/R16 P rated Hankook.

5. Sep 11, 2016 at 8:53 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Just for clarification I live in a relatively flat area in SE Texas, but it is hot (95 - 100 degrees during these trips).

Also, hands down the 4Runner rides smoother and is roomier, much more roomier. Plus interior cargo space.

That's not to sway you one way or another, I'm just saying they are different vehicles and I didn't buy either one for gas mileage, I'm just pleasantly surprised it does pretty well. In the end, 25mpg vs 18mpg over the course of 12,000 miles average is about $400 difference a year. Make sure for the savings of a measly $33.33 a month that you have the vehicle you want, not the vehicle you just deal with cause it saves you $33/mo.

If I had to pick one, and I wasn't towing a lot, but still towing 2 - 3k lb trailers occasionally, I'd pick the 4Runner.

I own a 2016 TE 4Runner and a 2017 OR Tacoma, and I drive the Tacoma and wife drives the 4Runner, so I have driven both very often. The 4Runner has more miles because it's the go to for trips, to the lake, room, and family car.

Palerider[OP] and Greenbean like this.
  6. Sep 11, 2016 at 10:14 AM
    Palerider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD PRO quicksand
    Installed Rago brackets and 4" cube ditch lights. Weather tech mats. Cargo net. Cargo mat. Ordered Gobi rack with ladder.
    I don't think I have bought ANY vehicle because of the gas mileage. I agree, get the vehicle you want and that will get you to the places you want to go:amen:. Bought the 2016 4R-TRD PRO and the Tundra Dbl Cab-TRD PRO at the same time. (traded a 2004 Chevy avalanche and a 2007 Suburban - we keep vehicles at least 10 years). I must admit the fit and finish of the 4R is better than the Tundra. Now if only they could install the 5.7 and dual exhaust in the 4R, they would have a monster on their hands.:infantry:I realize this is just a dream, however how about at least the 4.7? Come on Toyota, You could sell these at sticker. Both great vehicles that serve to completely different needs. Tundra hauls the dirt bikes, the 4R take us to dinner. Life is good

Greenbean likes this.
  7. Sep 11, 2016 at 5:52 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Also, my combined tank average for the 4Runner has been 16.5 MPG and the Tacoma 18.5 MPG. So in combined, regular life driving, not that much.

You just need to decide if you like enclosed cargo space vs. open bed. I see a bunch of people dump Tacomas and come to 4Runners but I really don't see many doing the opposite.

Decisions, decisions :)

Greenbean and Palerider[OP] like this.
  8. Sep 11, 2016 at 6:53 PM
    Greenbean

Greenbean BS Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    My wife keeps telling me I'll miss the truck bed, I don't think so. Lol...

That's why we have friends with small utility trailers. :D

I've never really weighed in with MPG info to purchase anything.

Mostly utility and what the needs are, now that I'm married and looking to start a family I'm really leaning towards the T4R.

I mean my dad has an old Nissan 2wd what seems to be the workhorse of the clan. I'm sure I could use it if needed. Haha

9. Sep 11, 2016 at 7:23 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    I have a small utility trailer and could easily do without the truck bed honestly, but I didn't want two 4Runners so I went Tacoma. Family, I'd take the 4Runner all day. That childseat barely fits in the Tacoma, it's roomy in the 4Runner.

10. Sep 12, 2016 at 10:43 AM
    Palerider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD PRO quicksand
    Roof rack should be here in a few weeks. Will send more pics once installed.

4runner2.jpg
    4runner3.jpg

11. Sep 12, 2016 at 11:37 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    What rack did you go with? and 3/4 or Full?

12. Sep 12, 2016 at 12:18 PM
    Palerider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD PRO quicksand
    Gobi Stealth full length. Adding the ladder as well. Replacing the rear hatch struts to handle the weight of the ladder.

13. Sep 13, 2016 at 8:16 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    The Gobi is expensive but it's probably the best looking one out there I think.

14. Sep 13, 2016 at 10:15 AM
    Palerider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD PRO quicksand
    I agree. We spent months studying reviews and decided that the majority of "Gobi" buyers were thrilled with the looks and functionality of the rack. However, there are several great choices available. Thule makes an awesome rack with several options. Frontrunner is also an excellent choice and has the lowest profile for that sleek low profile look. It was a very difficult choice. Hope we made the right one.

Products Discussed in

To Top