1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

help with Magnuson Supercharger

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by clarkyclark87, May 19, 2021.

1. May 19, 2021 at 1:09 PM
    clarkyclark87

clarkyclark87 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Is anyone else having problems with the Magnuson Supercharger? My truck is a 2019 TRD Pro. Supercharger installed Jan 2021 at a local Magnuson authorized dealer.

Recently I took my truck to the local Toyota dealership for unrelated reasons and the mechanics found two issues:

1) The check engine light is on because the air intake hose (red cuff tip) cannot be firmly fastened to the engine block because the cuff length is too short. See attached photo. Is it possible to fabricate a longer cuff or do I need to buy a longer hose?

2) Coolant fluid is leaking from the right hose. See attached photo. There is a big pink mess dripping onto the wiring and pin connector below the hose. Is there a solution for this or a custom fabrication?

Are these problems my responsibility or the installer responsibility?

IMG_0232(2).jpg
    IMG_0233(2).jpg
    IMG_0234(2).jpg

2. May 19, 2021 at 1:20 PM
    Vito Corleone

Vito Corleone New Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner ORP
    Current Mods: 3/2 Lift Kit w/Billstein 5100’s SPC Front Upper Control Arms 285/70/17 Michelin Defender LTX TRD Pro Wheels TRD Pro Grill 20% Tint on Windows & Sunroof Pedal Commander Cold Air Kit LED Front Turn Signals Brite-Box Anytime Foglight Kit “Tail as Turn” Rear Turn Signal Kit LED Reverse Lights LED Tag Lights LED Puddle Light Pods Sequential Turn Signals N-Fab 3” Step Bars Future Mods: In-Car Camera System Rear Molle Panel Storage System Magnuson Supercharger (when available)
    Should be the responsibility of the installer since they installed the supercharger and if they were the last people to do anything with those components.

The red intake cuff looks like it may not be installed properly which should be an easy fix. I had a similar issue with my cold air intake/noise maker (not TRD) and it was an installer (me) error.

As for the coolant leak, it “looks” like the hose is secure however, could either be loose or somehow punctured.

I have the Magnuson supercharger on my Tacoma and it has been absolutely flawless for 9 years so I wouldn’t worry too much. Both of these issue seem minor.

Good luck getting everything resolved.

3. May 19, 2021 at 1:21 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Both of your problems should be able to fix. With a very expensive tool. Called, a flat head screwdriver......
    Adjust the collar and slide it onto the throttlebody more?
    Tighten the clamp on the coolant hose and see if it stops the leak?

a47chuck and Toy4X4 like this.
  4. May 19, 2021 at 1:41 PM
    Charlievee

Charlievee New Member

Member:
    a47chuck likes this.
  5. May 19, 2021 at 1:59 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion Resident A**h***

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Island in the Middle of the Ocean
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    I don't think new clamps are needed honestly just loose and they to adjust.

The coolant one just snug it up and see what happened. Just do crank it down as hard as you can looks plastic. Unless thats what the installer did and now its cracked.

6. May 19, 2021 at 2:12 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    It definitely looks like THIS should be over HERE. If that is the case, it seems a longer sleeve is needed.
    upload_2021-5-19_15-12-21.jpg

Attached Files:

Doglover2003 and 2Toys like this.
  7. May 19, 2021 at 2:54 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Seriously, how did you lower compression before adding boost? Could be a little more serious than a loose clamp I suspect...

8. May 19, 2021 at 6:13 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion Resident A**h***

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Island in the Middle of the Ocean
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    No one said they lowered compression?

9. May 19, 2021 at 10:55 PM
    Jojotoo

Jojotoo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    SoCal - LA
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP w KDSS
  10. May 20, 2021 at 2:44 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Yep... that's the ticket! Done similar fixes on trucks/semis for years... provided there's enough hose. In case you need a longer hose to the blower, a shop that does lots of turbo work should be able to set you up.

11. Jul 27, 2021 at 5:25 PM
    ThreeFiveSeven

ThreeFiveSeven New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marvin
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail
    Bilstein 6112/5160 SpiderTrax Spacers Magnuson Supercharger TRD CAI AFE High Tuck Exhaust
    Is there a different part number for the intake arm? My vent/vacuum tubing are on the red coupler? I'm having a hard time making it fit!

rpcarz likes this.
  12. May 25, 2024 at 5:24 AM
    rpcarz

rpcarz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    T4R Black
    None
    I have the same set up but with an AFE intake. Ran into the same issues with coolant leaking from the hoses, just needed to tighten them and kept an eye on them after driving. So far no leaks.

What is the part number to your TRD cold air intake? Trying to make sure the intake pipe has the vacuum and air inlet valves.

13. May 25, 2024 at 6:22 AM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    This is an old thread seems like....but the red rubber pieces don't belong to the SC kit. Those don't fit well with the pipping provided. Stick with the ones from Maggie. I had the same leak on the coolant...I got rid of the clamp and put something better. Problem solved. Good to keep a constant eye on these hoses.

14. May 25, 2024 at 12:30 PM
    jasonmcelroy

jasonmcelroy Recovering perfectionist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Grey Trail
    Bilsteins, KO2, sound system, RedArc towing
    First thing I noticed is the use of worm drive hose clamps. They suck and frequently lead to leaks. Two reasons: Most people overtighten. The overlap end laying next to the hose often digs in and deforms the hose.

Not sure if these came with the parts kits you bought or your installer opted for them.

If it were mine, I'd buy constant-pressure clamps, take all hose connections apart to clean and inspect, then reassemble carefully using the right clamps.

Disclaimer: This may or may not be the reason for your hose leak, but it's a reasonable candidate to check out.

Jason

2Toys likes this.
  15. May 25, 2024 at 3:33 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    Old thread but basically the blower moves the TB over so standard intakes won’t fit. AFE makes a blower specific intake.

My coolant reservoir leaked as well. I never got around to changing tanks before it was totaled but here’s an option: https://shopfigs.com/v5/L1030?search=TRD

16. May 25, 2024 at 4:14 PM
    wingo

wingo Member since 2022

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture
    Have you tried a throttle body spacer to get the length you need for the air intake cuff? https://www.extremeterrain.com/afe-4runner-silver-bullet-throttle-body-spacer-46-38008.html

Products Discussed in

To Top