1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP, my 4runner drives like crap

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by CaliSalsa, Jun 27, 2023.

1. Jun 27, 2023 at 10:09 AM
    CaliSalsa

CaliSalsa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Salsa Red 4Runner Trail Edition
    Hey all...i recently acquired a 2010 5th gen Trail edition with KDSS and 118,000 miles on it.

The body is super clean, looks nearly like new, overall interior is in amazing shape other than the typical seat bolster wear.

This is my second 2010 Trail edition, my previous one was perfect, no issues, never should have sold it, and so when I came across this one we just had to have it.

We bought it sight unseen across the country and had it shipped here to California. Unfortunately this was a mistake.

It makes a rhythmic clicking noise when I push the brake down like you would when coasting to a stop, if i hit the pedal hard, no noise. It is quite loud, and is accompanied by squealing.

Futhermore, under quick response breaking on the interstate between 50-65 MPH, the steering wheel and front end violently shakes, similarly to "death wobble" that many solid axle jeep and full size pickup guys experience.

Lastly, it just bounces around and rides really rough...at 118k could the shocks and springs need to be replaced?

I've sought some counsel from a toyota guy I know, but would like to see if you all have any ideas...

Considered front lower and/or control arms, wheel bearings, complete brake system replacement, ball joints, and suspension replacement...

Thoughts?

IMG_6108.jpg

2. Jun 27, 2023 at 10:19 AM
    BgBmBoo

BgBmBoo New Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Sounds like you need new brake pads and possibly rotors. Pull a front wheel off and take a look at the pads. With 118k its quite possible they have never been changed.

Edit - yes, if your shocks are the originals they probably need to be replaced having 118k on them. No need to replace the springs unless you are wanting to do a lift.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
    Thatbassguy and raimieb like this.
  3. Jun 27, 2023 at 10:28 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    Even though the pre-purchase inspection is the best in this case may be "post" purchase inspection could be a well worth investment to avoid guess work?

4. Jun 27, 2023 at 10:32 AM
    CaliSalsa

Member:
    Vehicle:

For sure, planning to get it into a local shop next week, they were backed up. Frankly a PPI is something I've done before but I didn't think it would be necessary on a Toyota 4runner....lesson learned.

kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jun 27, 2023 at 10:49 AM
    Thepremier141

Thepremier141 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 SR5P
    I think regardless of the vehicle and their known reliability, it all goes out the window if proper care and maintenance are neglected.
    I agree with the above sounds like it could be warped rotors? Inspection might be the best bet to avoid any unnecessary repairs.

6. Jun 27, 2023 at 10:57 AM
    CaliSalsa

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Agreed! I will come back to this post after I get it into the shop next week.

7. Jun 27, 2023 at 11:47 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Replace the pads and rotors for sure. Check to see if the calipers are in good working order.

Replace the shocks as well.

All standard for something with this mileage.

8. Jun 27, 2023 at 6:03 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Very sweet looking ride. My favorite style 4runner with beautiful paint color. Don’t lose hope. Sounds like brake rotors/pads like others have said. It’s got low mileage, but it’s also going on 13years old. You might need bushings on the control arms just from age, especially if used hard or used infrequently.

It’s also not a bad idea to check the wheel bearings, ball joints, etc like you said.

How’s the frame? Keep in mind a PPI is about judging how the previous owner took care of the vehicle. Toyota’s reputation has nothing to do with a PPI. Good luck, she’s a beaut!!!

9. Jun 29, 2023 at 4:58 PM
    raimieb

raimieb Hobby Mechanic - Love Our 4Runner!

Member:
    First Name:
    raimie
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP 4x4
    Lots…
    New brakes, rotors, shocks, and struts. Then an alignment and tire balance (road force). Should sort you out. ;)

10. Jun 29, 2023 at 5:04 PM
    Rocko9999

Rocko9999 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Limited
    Did it have good service history? Also, the wobble, is that only while accelerating hard? Does it go away when you are coasting at those speeds? Need more details on this.

Products Discussed in

To Top