1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help for first 4runner purchase, Limited or ORP. Does this one pics have KDSS lift?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by dsgordon63, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Feb 6, 2023 at 5:21 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    Just a minor thing. I dislike KDSS ride quality on rough roads vs non KDSS provide much better softer ride.

When lifting KDSS should give extra attention as it could cause headache. Maybe good to have aftermarket pan hard bar and spacers on the first go when lifting.

Anyways better to keep the golden rule in mind. KISS.

2. Feb 6, 2023 at 10:55 AM
    nova

nova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Prescott Valley - Arizona
    Vehicle:
    slightly modified LE
    4.88, Air lockers, 35 Toyo MTs, C4 body armor, +2 LT, etc
    I think that totally depends. Some mods may interfere with XREAS as such. But if you are planning a suspension lift, you'll be deleting XREAS. After that, the issues I've seen is the body cladding is different, so that could pop up.

I had to trim the cladding on the passenger doors to clear sliders.

My "slightly modified LE" is an example of what could work:

djwantke likes this.
  3. Feb 6, 2023 at 11:05 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    Do you have a thread for this build please?
    Most importantly I'm trying to find if anything changed to the swaybar, CVs/axles, etc.. Thank you. :hattip:

4. Feb 6, 2023 at 12:23 PM
    nova

nova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Prescott Valley - Arizona
    Vehicle:
    slightly modified LE
    4.88, Air lockers, 35 Toyo MTs, C4 body armor, +2 LT, etc
    I do not, but if you like we can start a conversation outside this thread.

Cheers,
    Mike

kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Feb 6, 2023 at 12:29 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    It would def help us to learn.

6. Feb 9, 2024 at 9:55 AM
    rockfish

rockfish New Member

Member:
    Your assessment/understanding of the Limited's Full Time $WD is inaccurate. It is not AWD, it is truly full Time 4WD, which is completely different from AWD.
    AWD is a system in which each wheel can gain traction independent of the other wheels and their behavior. All wheels are capable of being driven simultaneously, spinning at different speeds, in all grip conditions. Power is sent through the center diff (often with a rear power bias) to each axle, which both contain limited slip differentials. If traction is lost on both axles, all four wheels will continue to receive power and turn regardless of the condition. No 4runner possesses this system. These are our Audi and Subaru friends.

Part Time 4WD system: When engaged, part-time 4WD system sends power 50:50 (front:rear) to each axle, and simultaneously to all 4 wheels. In the event of a loss in traction, power is sent to the wheel with the least resistance. If you have a loss of traction on each axle, power is sent to the wheel offering the least resistance (on each axle), meaning you're basically stuck. This is due to having open differentials on each axle. All 4WD 5th gen 4runners have open differentials on each axle. Only our 2WD friends get an LSD on the rear axle.

Im pretty sure most of us agree on these two systems and their differences, but if not, please chime in!

Now where things get confusing:

Full-Time 4WD is just like it says on the box. It’s what we have in the Limited. It’s the full-time version of what I’ve just described for our part time friends (specifically open differentials), but with a major distinction: The system employs a 40:60 torque split in most driving situations and alters that in response to slippage. In addition, if the front wheels are slipping while the vehicle is turning, the  center  differential changes the torque split to 30:70. If the rear wheels slip while the vehicle is turning, the split changes to 53:47. This info is taken directly from Toyota: Toyota 4Runner Celebrates Historic Run with 40th Anniversary Special Edition - Toyota USA Newsroom
    *note the section, “4x2 and Two kinds of 4x4.”

In execution, it’s sort of a mix between AWD and part-time 4WD. Power is still delivered to both axles via a center diff, but each axle has open diffs. You have all the benefits of a part-time 4WD system, full-time. The center diff allows for each axle to spin independent of one another and still offers the rear-power bias/adjustments. In a loss of traction, it adjusts dynamically. If there’s a loss of traction on both axles, youre still stuck, just like in a part-time 4wd system. If youre stationary, this is a much bigger problem than if you’re moving, where grip is changing constantly throughout your drive.

7. Feb 12, 2024 at 11:10 AM
    Sin4R

Sin4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Underground Limited
    Mall crawling kit.
    Now, this won't be a popular opinion here.

The reason I purchased Limited is that for a daily driver car Part Time 4WD system is nothing short of archaic. For on-road use, why would you want 2WD system that you have to manually put into 4WD mode once you are stuck? Would you rather NOT get stuck in the first place? Plus, why would you want to deal with locked 4WD understeer, making it dangerous to use at speed?

Last snowfall I watched neighbor's wife 1-wheel spinning Jeep Gladiator in a moderately deep snow bank. He wasn't home, so she left it stuck half-way into the driveway. Despite them having this car for at least a year, she did not know how to operate it. My Outback with full-time AWD just drove through it without ever getting close to getting stuck just being driven as-is.

Likewise, for my Limited, Full-Time 4WD was must-have feature. I will be spending 0% rock crawling or traversing muddy swamps, but I will be spending at least 30% of the time driving it in the winter when I can encounter icy and unplowed roads.

8. Feb 12, 2024 at 11:27 AM
    Sin4R

Sin4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Underground Limited
    Mall crawling kit.
    Since we are correcting others, AWD does not require a mechanical LSD and actually many modern AWD vehicles do not come equipped with one. Even all current Subarus, outside of WRX/STI, do not offer a mechanical LSD as a standard equipment (some manual-transmission Subaru still have rear LSD and so do most higher trim versions). Instead, they use eLSD, which uses brake calipers in a way similar to A-track to prevent one-wheel spin.

9. Feb 12, 2024 at 11:40 AM
    Ripper238

Ripper238 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR

Yeha, not a popular opinion because your opinion is wrong, that's not how we use our PT 4WD at all. I have never enguaged my 4WD after I am stuck and never experienced this "understeer" you mention at speed.

10. Feb 12, 2024 at 2:21 PM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Removed DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. MinWin End Caps Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Performance: Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    Some peeps seem confused so I'll put it simply.

XREAS
    - for better on road performance.

KDSS - for better off road performance.

For the weekend warrior, KDSS is a great system.

Thatbassguy and Ripper238 like this.
  11. Feb 12, 2024 at 2:32 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    Thatbassguy likes this.