1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help for first 4runner purchase, Limited or ORP. Does this one pics have KDSS lift?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by dsgordon63, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Jan 31, 2023 at 11:12 AM
    dsgordon63

dsgordon63 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2023 Red TRD ORP KDSS
    Blackout Emblems, Black SEMA TRD rims
    Hi this is my first forum post. I am shopping for my first 4runner. Have been looking for a 2022 or 2023. Been trying to decide between a Limited or the TRD off road premium. Challenge in this market to find anything to test drive and decide on which. Usage would be 90% on-road. Off road would be dirt road little rough trails that I may come across. Nothing to start with that my stock gen1 tundra hasn't handled. But that said, if I could find and learn, be fun to try more trails. But never plan to do any serous rock crawler stuff. I guess that's sanctioned trail/overland off-road if I could find it.

I found a TRD Off Road premium out of state I am planning to look at. Its bit of long ride so trying to gain as much info I can before I go there. Not a Toyota dealer. Had some front end pictures sent me. Looks like fox shock and I think that only comes on the TRD pro so maybe added. From research looks like KDSS which I believe I want. For best on-road handling. But maybe Limited is best not sure as it does not have KDSS. Test drove a Lexus GX last week (KDSS) and I liked it but not price. Plus no trailer hitch , No longer available factory I was told, I want that factory so that its warrantied.
    Found a 2022 limited local too so may test drive that first. But kind like dream / look of off-road better. Seems only difference is cooling & memory seats. Different Xreas suspension read not as good.

What do these pictures look like? Lifted? KDSS?

ORP1a.jpg ORP1b.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jan 31, 2023 at 11:18 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Yes, that is the KDSS front sway bar. I have it. Very nice for a weekend warrior, and mild to moderate trails. It starts to become a limitation on more technical trails, and with heavy modification.

Harringbr99 likes this.
  3. Jan 31, 2023 at 11:42 AM
    dsgordon63

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2023 Red TRD ORP KDSS
    @Thatbassguy Thanks for confirming KDSS. Can you tell if that is stock suspension? Or if it looks like a lift? If I zoom in I see what looks like the word fox on left shock. Both springs and shocks are grayish/silver maybe.
    It has black TRD rims which I assume were added to the ORP too. Just don't know if that looks stock or something added by the original owner. Don't know if that is a accessory that can get added. I don't think those are TRD pro shocks.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  4. Jan 31, 2023 at 11:47 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Yes, those look like Fox coilovers. Good stuff! They do require occasional maintenance, though.

5. Jan 31, 2023 at 11:52 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    How TRD Pro Fox look like -

upload_2023-1-31_12-55-11.jpg

6. Jan 31, 2023 at 11:53 AM
    Ripper238

Ripper238 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    That would be a 2022 limited model.

Stock, no lift.
    Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS)
    X-REAS Sport Enhancement Suspension
    TRD FOX® * high-performance shocks with rear remote reservoirs
    TRD-tuned front springs

Not the same shocks as a Pro and more of a city on road 4Runner. I would skip it because of the X-REAS alone.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  7. Jan 31, 2023 at 11:57 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    Huh? Limited?

upload_2023-1-31_12-57-21.jpg

8. Jan 31, 2023 at 12:00 PM
    Ripper238

Ripper238 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    Yup. Its a Limited.

Thought I spelt limited wrong. lol

9. Jan 31, 2023 at 12:10 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    Here's a pic from Limited. (Just ignore the aftermarket shocks)

upload_2023-1-31_13-10-8.jpg

10. Jan 31, 2023 at 12:19 PM
    JETSPD1477

JETSPD1477 New

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Typical 4Runner
    KDSS is only available for the TRD Off-Road trims.

Doglover2003 and Old Tanker like this.
  11. Jan 31, 2023 at 12:34 PM
    Ripper238

Ripper238 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    I was reading it off Toyotas site, misinterpreted the dash vs a check mark. lol

But the OP states its a Limited and another confirmed it has KDSS and it looks like it has FoxShocks and is a 2022. Run from that 4Runner. lol

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  12. Jan 31, 2023 at 1:11 PM
    JETSPD1477

JETSPD1477 New

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Typical 4Runner
    OP said it's an Off Road Premium. If it's a good price, good condition, and a clean title I don't see why aftermarket Fox shocks should prevent someone from considering it.

13. Jan 31, 2023 at 2:59 PM
    dsgordon63

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2023 Red TRD ORP KDSS
    @JETSPD1477 and @Thatbassguy it is definitely a 2022 TRD off road with KDSS that I am looking to go see. Thatbassguy coined it right. For me it be a weekend warrior on mild side of off road. In regards KDSS its more of a discussion on weather KDSS be a better on road ride than without or a limited with XREAS (Which I see the term xreas delete a lot). Seems like comment is they look like after market fox shocks. If they were more of a city on road performer that might be a plus for me. As I am considering the limited too.

The price is good market considered. It still has considerable base factory warranty and concern would be if suspension was upgraded does that void the warranty?
    I am hoping someone in forum would have experience there.
    This appears to me to be one the owner bought, added some TRD rims and changed at least shocks. Then traded it in quickly for a different make model vehicle possibly 4x4.
    Not sure if that is a reason for concern. It has low miles and why did they trade it right away.

Do the springs look factory or do you think those were added too.
    Basically does it look like a lift to anyone that they can tell?

And the decision for me is for on-road ride ORP KDSS (With these mods) vs Stock Limited. I have located a limited 2022 in similar condition.
    I will mention that I did test drive a Lexus GX (KDSS) and liked it but not price. I know its not same. I like look of 4runner better too.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  14. Jan 31, 2023 at 4:34 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I think the Limited would serve your needs just as well. I'd recommend driving both, if possible.

The downside of the Limited is that, once the OEM shocks wear out, you're looking at an expensive replacement. But, you can always ditch the XREAS and just put in some aftermarket shocks.

KDSS isn't meant to require maintenance, but it can fail. Usually, failures are caused by dirt or debris collecting in the accumulator skid and causing corrosion on the electrical connections. If you go with the KDSS model, I'd take a look at the skid, and see if it looks like it has been kept clean. The skid is located on the driver's side frame rail, below the driver's door. I remove mine periodically and clean the accumulator, and I spray the hose through it whenever I get muddy.

The Lexus GX is basically a V8 4runner, so it should have been a decent representation of the ride quality with KDSS.

15. Jan 31, 2023 at 6:19 PM
    jason5641

jason5641 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Quakertown, PA
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP w/KDSS
    FWIW my 23 ORP is my 4th 4runner

2006 sport
    2013 limited
    2016 limited

I prefer the KDSS (and look) of the ORP over all of them

The X was an expensive fix on the 06 but I traded it in before it was totally needed

16. Jan 31, 2023 at 6:45 PM
    2018 Limited

2018 Limited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BDR
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    I went to buy a 2019 off road premium on a Land Rover lot about 7 months ago. When I got there he also had a 2018 Limited parked next to the ORP. Priced about the same similar mileage. So after test driving the off road premium I asked the salesman if I could also test drive the limited before finalizing the deal on the ORP. I changed my mind after test driving the limited.I ended up with the limited. I thought the limited drove better. I think it was the climate control and AWD on the limited that swayed me . I still think the ORP is better looking but liked the options and drive on the limited. It’s expensive if you want to wipe that goofy smile off the limiteds face. Drive them all if you have the time and see how you like them and what best suits you. Keep us posted on how you make out. Good luck.

NCWildlifePhoto and Keith E. like this.
  17. Jan 31, 2023 at 7:26 PM
    dsgordon63

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2023 Red TRD ORP KDSS
    Thanks, This has been some great feed back. The plan is to take a road trip Saturday with wife and test drive the ORP. Assuming its still there.

18. Jan 31, 2023 at 8:17 PM
    Cowboy59

Cowboy59 Enjoy the Adventure

Member:
    N. Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off-Road Premium w/ Predator package & KDSS
    I have an off-road premium with KDSS an love it.

Check out this video. It will help you decide which model to get.

https://youtu.be/ZDGAe8DOmck

Yazzman and Thatbassguy like this.
  19. Jan 31, 2023 at 9:26 PM
    nova

nova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Prescott Valley - Arizona
    Vehicle:
    slightly modified LE
    4.88, Air lockers, 35 Toyo MTs, C4 body armor, +2 LT, etc
    I have the LE, and couldn’t wait to ditch the XREAS. The shocks leak if you look cross at them and then the ride goes to the toilet.

+1 for the Torsen diff, the LE makes some ground back with that.

KDSS is an off road feature more than anything else, it helps with front end travel.

If it checks out mechanically I’d lean towards the ORP since OE Fox shocks are a nice upgrade and if I recall correctly you’ll also have a rear locker.

Go test drive these trucks and report back!

Cheers,
    Mike

Thatbassguy likes this.
  20. Jan 31, 2023 at 9:35 PM
    Cowboy59

Cowboy59 Enjoy the Adventure

Member:
    N. Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off-Road Premium w/ Predator package & KDSS
    KDSS is not an off-road feature. It is a system to substantially control body roll. The only substantial difference between the off-road premium and a pro are the Fox shocks. For the price increase for a pro, I think you could find a true off-road lift kit that would be much better than the pro.

Some will say that you are limited on how much lift you can achieve with KDSS, and that is true, but can still lift easily to 3". So unless you are going to do over a 3" lift, the KDSS substantially improves handling.

Be sure to check out video from my earlier post.

21. Jan 31, 2023 at 9:56 PM
    JETSPD1477

JETSPD1477 New

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Typical 4Runner
    the shocks look like fox 2.0s which utilize their own spring. those aren’t oem springs. the extension to your question is if the rear springs have been replaced.

one thing i learned when i was test driving different 4rs is that while kdss does help with body roll it also will make the ride stiffer over unequal bumps.

22. Jan 31, 2023 at 10:40 PM
    HotelMedicis

HotelMedicis No Commercial Interests

Member:
    Have you considered a 2WD 4Runner? If 90% of your driving will be on road and the rest dirt roads or "little rough trails" you probably don't need 4WD. Off road races are won all the time with 2WD vehicles so 4WD is not necessary for off road adventures. Stop by a dealer and see if they have one or ask when they are expecting to get one in.

23. Feb 1, 2023 at 3:47 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    This is incorrect. The main purpose of KDSS is to act as a partial sway bar disconnect to allow better articulation. The reduced body roll is a secondary benefit. There are many videos explaining this.

It has pros and cons, which is why I recommend it for a weekend warrior, but not for hardcore off-roading.

This is true. There are also products available to lower the mounting points for the sway bars that help with higher lifts.

24. Feb 1, 2023 at 4:14 AM
    roadrunner44

roadrunner44 New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium Silver
    Good info on the KDSS system here. I'm waiting for delivery of a 2023 ORP (hopefully very soon!) and did bunch of research on the KDSS system as I wasn't sure whether it was worth it or not. I decided to get one with KDSS as the thicker sway bar improves on-road handling and the ability for the system to functionally disconnect the swaybar improves the off-road articulation at low speeds. The downside is that at faster speeds you do feel the bumps more (such as on washboard roads). You can install a switch to turn it on/off for about $200 which would give the best of both worlds. I may do that on mine.

Ripper238 and Thatbassguy like this.
  25. Feb 1, 2023 at 4:16 AM
    nova

nova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Prescott Valley - Arizona
    Vehicle:
    slightly modified LE
    4.88, Air lockers, 35 Toyo MTs, C4 body armor, +2 LT, etc
    @Cowboy59 - do some research. As stated, KDSS mimics sway bar disconnects :smack:

Ripper238 likes this.
  26. Feb 1, 2023 at 6:08 AM
    dsgordon63

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2023 Red TRD ORP KDSS
    For me really not an option. I live in snow country. I still remember days (Long time ago) of having to drive 6 hours in blizzard (Which turns into 10+) in my 2WD small pickup for emergency service call in upstate NY.
    Have had several 4WD ever since. One of the reasons Limited full time 4WD might be better. But I also had a bare bone rag top CJ7 back then I enjoyed playing with. When the compact car died I was using for work. I sold the jeep for extra money to put down on that very same truck. That's why the ORP would be like having a toy again sort of appealing. Basically that is a 2WD 90% of the time anyway right?

P.S. That CJ wasn't my last jeep. I (Wife) had a gen2 Grand Cherokee that started falling apart options/mechanically after 100K. By comparison I am still driving my Gen1 tundra, 20+ years and about to turn 200K.
    Not trading so still my daily driver. The 4runner will truly be weekend holiday warrior and backup for that day when Tundra is finally not worth keeping on road.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  27. Feb 1, 2023 at 9:36 AM
    HotelMedicis

HotelMedicis No Commercial Interests

Member:
    Oh in that case my choice would be full-time 4WD so you can drive it on the road / snow / ice without worrying about damaging your transfer case, drive shafts and axles with the part time 4WD. I had a J100 series Land Cruiser and the full-time 4WD on that was exceptionally good. Have you driven a J200 series Land Cruiser? It's another world from these J150 Land Cruisers badged as 4Runners. Highly recommended.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  28. Feb 4, 2023 at 9:29 AM
    Ripper238

Ripper238 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    100%, KDSS is for better articulation off road, love it!

The reduced body roll is certainly nice but not sure if its that much better than a full sway bar anyway.

Best video i have found explaining it:

29. Feb 4, 2023 at 1:23 PM
    dsgordon63

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2023 Red TRD ORP KDSS
    I looked at that ORP today, Almost made a deal but in the end I walked away. It did have a lift and 33" tires, That would be great for a lot who would want that, but it also had the TRD pro rack (Which I don't like ) added. As it sits would not fit in my garage. Really cool look though and I almost wanted it. But gave me concerns on how the lift was done, Was everything done right especially with KDSS. Not to mention that it was not a Toyota dealer and with these mods how would warranty be impacted. Think I want to do/have mods exactly way I want.

Was not super found of the ride with shocks and tire choices, But still like the ORP with KDSS better than limited I drove I think.
    The hunt goes on.

JETSPD1477 likes this.
  30. Feb 6, 2023 at 4:40 AM
    supercrawler

supercrawler New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    allen
    Vehicle:
    2023 4runnerTRD Offload Premium
    stock
    Here's my 2cents opinion , By the way I just purchased 23 OP with KDSS.(Just installed 3"lift,285x70x17,Fornt winch Bumper,the sliders and roof rack is on the way)
    First top 2 pics are same as my 23 OP it has thicker swaybar mounted to lower controlArm has no link to spindle.
    The differences between limited vs OP are availability of aftermarket parts such as winch Bumpers sliders all the goodies
    You will found out from those manufacturers said "will not work on Limited Model`
    And AWD vs Part time 4wheel drive make hell lots differences as we all know the AWD front drive components are moving all time whether you want or not,
    But Part time 4WD can completely isolate front drive components that means less wear,better gas mileage.

The reasons I purchased Trd Off-road Premium vs Pro the OP has same options as Pro except fox shocks with wheels,bulky roofrack, colors with that Pro has merely $10,000 more than OP. I spend 1/2 that do same as Pro.

Products Discussed in

To Top