1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help! Engine cranks, but no start!

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by ZO4, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Jun 28, 2018 at 9:58 AM
    ZO4

ZO4 [OP] Cheapo

Member:
    First Name:
    Zael
    Vehicle:
    1998 Anthracite Metallic 4Runner, Limited Edition, 3.4L 5VZ-FE engine
    32 inch LED bar installed in valence Wal-Mart Foglights on bumper Cheapo Harbor Freight Air horns underneath body Completely bone stock
    My 4Runner last week was working just fine, able to crank and start up with not a problem. As of recently, it has become parked because it doesn't want to fire right up. It cranks, but fuel doesn't seem to be going through it. I have replaced from the fuel pump, filter, 3 relays that pertained to it, and still nothing! The Blue/orange wire that supplies power to the pump doesn't read anything, and checked all the wiring and everything seems fine. Can anyone help me out, this has become really fustrating.

2. Jun 28, 2018 at 11:12 AM
    4WALKER

4WALKER New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 4Runner sr5
    Dirt
    Does it have fuel? Don't trust the gauge
    Does it have air? Plugged air filter or ripped intake hose
    Does it have spark? Pull a spark plug wire and put a small bolt in it and place it near exhaust manifold to check for an arc when cranking. Beware of exposed fingers because it will zap you

Backslider and Bob like this.
  3. Jun 28, 2018 at 4:09 PM
    ZO4

ZO4 [OP] Cheapo

Member:
    First Name:
    Zael
    Vehicle:
    32 inch LED bar installed in valence Wal-Mart Foglights on bumper Cheapo Harbor Freight Air horns underneath body Completely bone stock
    Everyone is fine and dandy. It gots lots of air, good intake hose, air filter clean and new as can be
    All spark plugs are good and spark fine. I did get a small shock out of it!
    And I got about a nearly full tank (Damn!) but when I hooked it up to a 12 volt table top tester on the ground and power leads of the pump itself, I can hear it whir, so the pump isn't out.

4. Jun 28, 2018 at 4:14 PM
    ZO4

ZO4 [OP] Cheapo

Member:
    First Name:
    Zael
    Vehicle:
    I sprayed quite a bit of starter fluid in the throttle, and it turned over just fine, but died afterwards.
    That I did notice, which there is literally no pressure in the fuel rail, and taking off the fuel line before the fuel filter, I cranked over and nothing spurted out.
    That I know for sure, the pump is not getting any sort of power from the actual power line that comes from underneath the dash of the driver's side, from the relay, and to the pump itself; Although, just to make sure the wire wasn't faulty, I jumped it from the diagnostic box on the top intake manifold, to the positive terminal of the battery, and lo-and-behold; Power to the pump and it fires right up! Ran perfectly normal. So it makes me wonder if the wire itself is shorted somewhere in the cab or engine bay or maybe the wire is out of place and isn't getting anything in first place?

5. Dec 28, 2019 at 6:14 PM
    Milestogo

Milestogo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2000 toyota 4 runner ltd
    We're having the same problem. Did you get it fixed?

6. Sep 5, 2020 at 5:35 AM
    Jeff601307

Jeff601307 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner TRD Off Road
    I have a 2020 TRD OR that cranks but won’t turnover. I just got a new key made and I’m wondering if it’s been programmed correctly.

Products Discussed in

To Top