1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP!! Buying my first 4 runner

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by bptoyota5, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Nov 20, 2020 at 6:23 PM
    bptoyota5

bptoyota5 [OP] New Member

Member:
    So I live in the upper Midwest and I am looking at purchasing my first 4runner but I need help knowing how much is too much. I have contacted a dealership that has a 2010 4runner with 151k miles that is going for 18k. I did some research after I noticed a (kdss) light on the dash that seemed to be covered up by a sticker to find out it needs a $2,700 repair just to fix that issue. I'm wondering if it is still worth it to purchase this vehicle and yes I have inspected to rest to find no other major flaws. Also is 18k too much especially with that needing fixing?

2. Nov 20, 2020 at 6:38 PM
    lrizzo

lrizzo New Member

Member:
    Northern New Jersey
    I'm no expert since I am buying my first brand new 4 Runner but if the person/dealer is trying to hide an issue with a sticker I'd run away from that deal. I would not pay anywhere near that much unless its 100% mechanically working. It could be a simple repair or more involved. Why spend 18k only to spend $2700 to fix it?

bptoyota5[OP], SlvrSlug and 7385 like this.
  3. Nov 20, 2020 at 9:32 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    I didn't run numbers to see if the price is off, but the dealer trying to hide that problem (and insulting you by such a half assed effort) is the big deal breaker here. I'd be outta there. 4Runners aren't cheap but they are everywhere....I'd move on.

newtotoyota likes this.
  4. Nov 20, 2020 at 9:59 PM
    ferrisDJB

ferrisDJB New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road
    nothing yet
    I don't know what your price point is, but I started looking at 2007 - 2009. Found nothing that was to my liking. mileage and price. So I looked at newer, 5th Gens. One owner, lease ok, but absolutely NO RENTAL, lowest mileage as possible. Best advice is this, do your research, good deals pop up every so often, and you will recognize those deals when you see them. Happy hunting

P.S.
    Stay away from the deal you described above...

Products Discussed in

To Top