1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hello from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by robyn_j_tompkins, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Apr 15, 2017 at 9:48 AM
    robyn_j_tompkins

robyn_j_tompkins [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robyn
    Vehicle:
    2016 4runner SR5 prm 4x4
    Hi Everyone! I just got my first 4Runner last month. I've been drooling over the trd pro for a couple of years. I had wanted a jeep for forever, but there just wasn't room for my family AND gear AND dogs even with the 4 door version. After looking at the specs for jeeps v. 4runners, it looked like 4runner was the way to go - especially since I could get a thrid row of seating! the only issue is that the thrid row meant I couldn't get the trd or the trail version :(.

I'm in love with my 4R - which is an SR5 premium. We had rented one in Hawaii last summer and took it everywhere! Here at home, I'm hoping to take it everywhere as well.

I do have a question... with the SRS, can I take it pretty much anywhere? What limitations do I have? I know I don't have crawl control, but are but will this 4wd allow me to see a jeep trail and go for it? What experiences have y'all had?

I look forward to hearing from you!!

earth_mother likes this.
  2. Apr 15, 2017 at 11:31 AM
    Trailblazr7

Trailblazr7 New Member

Member:
    Hey Tex:
    I'm not sure what kind of wheeling you intend to do, but before I lifted my SR5, I took it on fire roads, gravel roads, some small rock covered trails out here in the California desert and some of the state and national forests as well as BLM lands. It performed well. IMO, the stock 4x4 configuration will get you in and out of most places you would take your family. I have since added a suspension lift, including upper control arms, so I could install larger tires and wheels. I have recently run some moderately rocky trails out in Joshua Tree and I was quite happy how the SR5 performed in and out of 4x4 mode (hi and lo), as well as with A-trac and downhill assist. If you intend to do some moderate to hairy trails, I would also suggest you add undercarriage armor to your list of mods. Best to you and welcome.

3. Apr 15, 2017 at 2:16 PM
    earth_mother

earth_mother New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Melissa
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    '16 SR5 Premium and '94 SR5
    Thanks! I appreciate this perspective!

Robyn, I made the choice for SR5 premium over Trail for the same reason...3rd row...and like the look of the SR5 trim over the Limited. I hope you're as happy with your's as I am with mine! :)

robyn_j_tompkins[OP] likes this.
  4. Apr 16, 2017 at 9:30 AM
    TedRCASC

TedRCASC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Welcome aboard and, from experience, I have to say that your 4R will treat you better than any Jeep made. - Cheers, Ted

5. Apr 16, 2017 at 4:36 PM
    robyn_j_tompkins

Member:
    First Name:
    Robyn
    Vehicle:
    2016 4runner SR5 prm 4x4

I liked the SR5 over the limited, too! So far I'm soooo happy with the SR5. This summer, I'm going to take it where it was meant to be, off the pavement!

earth_mother[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Apr 16, 2017 at 4:40 PM
    robyn_j_tompkins

Member:
    First Name:
    Robyn
    Vehicle:
    2016 4runner SR5 prm 4x4

Thank you for the helpful advice! I'm going to start with some gravel and BLM roads, but I would love to work up to some moderate trails. Back in the day I could park on the pavement and backpack into the places I wanted to go. I've developed some back problems, though, and can't carry a load very far. There's a lot of "roads" and moderate trails that I hope to take the 4R on to get me a little closer to where I want to go. It will also be a whole lot of fun!

7. Apr 17, 2017 at 11:39 AM
    TedRCASC

TedRCASC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Robyn: Ive been 4 wheeling since the early 1960s and have only been stuck once, on a nice forest trail when the ground turned to mush and we bottomed out. I had to hike a very long way out for help but, luckily, since then have never been stuck once. However, at 84 now, I'm not up to hiking out for miles so I just bought a Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller. It weighs about 35 pounds, will lift 2 tons, or pull 4 tons, and cost about $385 incl shipping. I hope I never have to use it, but it will be nice to know it's in the back when we hit the trails this summer. Check it out on Google. - Cheers, Ted

8. Apr 18, 2017 at 5:17 PM
    robyn_j_tompkins

Member:
    First Name:
    Robyn
    Vehicle:
    2016 4runner SR5 prm 4x4

Thank you! I will definitely check that out.

9. Apr 19, 2017 at 7:31 PM
    OverlandTX

OverlandTX New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Vehicle:
    2016 4runner SR5
    I went with the SR5 as well. Welcome to the 4Runner world

Products Discussed in

To Top