1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hello from Maryland - Just Bought a 2004 - Need Some Work

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ghayduke, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Jul 21, 2016 at 3:29 PM
    ghayduke

ghayduke [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner 4X4
    Hello fellow 4R owners. I just bought a 2004 4X4 SR5 that will eventually be my son's college graduation reward. It went through inspection today and needs a few things to pass. The shop wanted $2K+ to fix everything but I think I'll be doing most or all of it myself for hopefully less than half of that.

It needs a front wheel bearing and I already saw the thread with the hub assemblies so that will be the solution there.

It also needs a CV boot on the other side. I'm not sure if I should replace just the boot or the whole axle assembly. I didn't find much on the forum when I searched on that. I have not inspected everything just yet which may make the answer obvious if the CV joint is dry and/or full of grit.

The other thing it needs is rear shocks (heavily rusted). I may go with standard parts store stuff but I'm open to other suggestions. For now, I just want to get it through inspection and road-worthy. I suspect my son might want to start modifying things when it becomes his own. For now it's mine.

I was also looking for a link to torque specs or better-yet a factory manual download. I didn't find anything searching for either of those. Are either torque specs or a manual download link available?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

- Hayduke

2. Jul 22, 2016 at 12:00 PM
    RonT4R

RonT4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner SR5 4WD
    All seems easy. IMO just replace the axles instead of rebuilding them, much quicker and less messy. I just replace all my shocks with Bilstein 5100's and I'm pretty happy with the results. It leveled the front so it looks a whole lot better. I have the factory manuals but I'm sure there is a pdf copy somewhere.

Products Discussed in

To Top