1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hello everybody... I drive a Tacoma, but I'm a huge fan of 4Runners too!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PennSilverTaco, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Mar 10, 2017 at 8:54 AM
    PennSilverTaco

PennSilverTaco [OP] Encyclopedia of useless information...

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug slug
    Please see signature!
    My name is Charlie, and I am 27 (almost 28) years old. I've been living in Bucks County, Pennsylvania for almost 12 years. I am the proud owner of a 2010 Toyota Tacoma that my parents bought brand new for me as a present of sorts when I finally got my learner's permit in 2009.

I also have Asperger's Syndrome, which is a high-functioning form of autism. Some people who know a lot about autism spectrum disorders can tell that I'm on the spectrum, but the vast majority are shocked when I tell them I have it. I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 9.

People are surprised because many of them lump all people with autism into one perceived stereotype, and are shocked that someone who is on the spectrum can do all the stuff that I've done. I have a driver's license, a college degree, a good job, and a ton of friends. When I hang out with my guy friends (some AS, some not), we do the same things a bunch of bros without AS would do. We get drunk, go to strip clubs, talk about cars and women, and happily engage in locker room talk about sex and bodily functions when there are no adults or women present. Some AS people I know are very socially awkward when it comes to romantic relationships and life in general. I won't go into explicit detail (literally or figuratively) on a public forum, but I can proudly say I've had quite a bit of fun with various women over the years.

Obviously, since I own a Tacoma, I know how to drive and thus have a driver's license. I have four close friends with Asperger's, and three of them have driver's licenses and their own vehicles. Sadly, none of them have trucks of any kind. Two drive 4-door sedans, and one has a 5-door hatchback. The 4th one is working towards FINALLY getting his learner's permit. I told my friend that when he gets his permit, I would take him to the DMV course after hours and teach him how to parallel park in my truck.

I got my learner's permit when I was 20, in August 2009. My dad bought the Tacoma in September 2009. In 2011, at the age of 22, I finally took the driving test in the Tacoma. I failed the first time because I couldn't parallel park correctly, and finally passed it on the third try in May 2011.

Anyway, I have wheels and a license. I also graduated from Bucks County Community College with an associate's degree in journalism. I actually plan on becoming an HVAC technician, but even now, I am still not 100% what I want to do for a career. Leaning more towards HVAC though...

Right now, I have a great job at a bar/restaurant/music venue called Puck, owned by a friend of mine. I started out as a regular customer back in 2010, then made friends with the owner. A new general manager was hired in 2011, right around the time I got my driver's license. My Tacoma played an indirect role in my first meeting with my future boss (a story for another day, available upon request). If you'd told me ten years ago I'd be working at a bar and actually kind of enjoying it, I'd laugh at you. I started out as the general manager's personal assistant and errand runner, and then after about a year of working at Puck, I was put on the books as a bar back. For those who don't know, a bar back is bartender's assistant who also performs duties like bussing tables, cleaning bathrooms, and picking up various bar supplies. It's not glamorous, but it beats the s*** out of retail! Two other employees at Puck, who work as both bartenders and barbacks depending on where they are needed, own pickup trucks (a 2011 Silverado 1500 and a 2013 Silverado 1500, respectively). However, they both have full-time jobs outside of Puck and can't be around all the time. Puck is my only job right now, so I can pretty much be available at a moment's notice. I am lifelong fan of Chevy trucks and hope to own one someday in addition to my beloved Tacoma, but my Tacoma is also much better for navigating congested streets and narrow alleyways of Doylestown than a full-size Silverado.

My truck at one of Pennsylvania's state-owned liquor stores, loaded up with about TEN GRAND worth of hooch (the guy in the picture is Matt, one of the bartenders at Puck):
    [​IMG]

It's worth noting that the "powers that be" recently lumped all autism spectrum disorders together in the DSM-5 and did away with Asperger's Syndrome as a diagnosis. I do not agree with this, especially since autism can go hand in hand with intellectual disabilities like mental retardation.

Anyway, I joined this forum for the purpose of learning more about 4Runners and getting my story out there...

The awesome moderators at TW gave me my own thread!

I'm also on the following forums:

Tundras.com

AstroSafari.com

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Palerider likes this.
  2. Mar 10, 2017 at 4:23 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug slug
    Please see signature!
    Obviously, that's my Tacoma on the left, and I just happened to park next to a 4Runner TRD Pro when I went to Staples to run an errand for my boss this past Wednesday...
    ThursdayMarch9th2017 072.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Palerider likes this.
  3. Mar 10, 2017 at 8:58 PM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Welcome over bud!

4. Mar 10, 2017 at 9:01 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug slug
    Please see signature!
    Thanks! Like I said, I'm not gonna take over the other two forums like I did TW. I hope you don't think that LOL...

5. Mar 12, 2017 at 11:30 AM
    TedRCASC

TedRCASC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Welcome aboard from an old geezer, and good luck with your problem. My only problem is old age (84) and more aches and pains than anyone needs, but I'll keep on driving as long as I can find a blind examiner to renew my license. - Cheers, Ted

PennSilverTaco [OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top