1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heavy Steering That Won't Return To Center

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by DanielPaul, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Jan 12, 2022 at 8:47 PM
    DanielPaul

DanielPaul [OP] New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium
    3/2 Supreme Level kit 17x9 Fuel Blitz Wheels 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    I recently picked up a bone stock 2018 4Runner and noticed soon after purchase that the steering seems pretty heavy/stiff and it will not return to center when going down the road. I figured it probably just needed an alignment, so I waited until my level kit and wheels came in before doing so. During the level kit install I didn't notice any worn parts, or see/feel any binding on either side. Fast forward to post alignment, the issue still exists. Is this just a character trait of the 4Runner? Or. do I need to dig deeper on this? And if so, where?

2. Jan 12, 2022 at 11:23 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I noticed that the 4runner, when new/stock, did not have the return to center tendency I was used to in a vehicle. A bit unexpected, but not unpleasant or annoying. Post lift, with stock UCAs that dont go past 2degrees of caster, Inhave slightly less return to center tendency. I quite enjoy the feeling to be honest. Im bored easily and like a vehicle to feel a bit alive.

however, I would not describe the steering as heavy. It’s not unsafely light, but does require some light input/follow through to put her back straight.

edit: stock size KO2s

DanielPaul[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 13, 2022 at 4:23 PM
    markmb45

markmb45 New Member

Member:
    South Ogden, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner Trail Edition
    3” OME Lift, JBA UCA’s, 275/70R17 General Grabbers, ARB air compressor
    I had the same issue with my 99 4Runner. It was my steering rack. Once I replaced the rack all was well. Have you checked your PS fluid level? Just a thought.

4. Jan 13, 2022 at 8:41 PM
    DanielPaul

DanielPaul [OP] New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium
    3/2 Supreme Level kit 17x9 Fuel Blitz Wheels 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    I wouldn't think the rack would go out at just 40k on a stock setup. The rack on my 2013 Tundra went out at 79k, but it had 33's on it most of its life. No warning signs either, just blew a seal one day and that was it. The fluid level is good, but it is dark, so it's definitely ready for a flush.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022

Products Discussed in

To Top