1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Rngr188, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Dec 2, 2020 at 10:12 AM
    Rngr188

Rngr188 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison, AR
    Vehicle:
    Silver 20 TRD ORP
    Ok I have read until my eyes have crossed but I think I have a plan for my 2020 so guys let me know if I am on the right track. I have read about the H11 to H9 swap but bulb life seems to be an issue. I have read HID is not meant for our projectors but they work. HID cannot be used for bright because of warmup time and also the DRL would be full bright. I have read mixed about LED. Yes a quality retrofit would be ideal but $$. So here is my plan:

Low Beam: Xenon Depot HID kit. They have 4k, Philips 4.3k, Philips VX2 4.8k, and 5-8k. Which should I choose? I know I will probably have to do some alignment.

High Beam: Xenon Depot 9005 LED kit with the DRL driver which eliminates flicker and gives factory equivalent DRL and also high beam function.

Does this sound like a good route? Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  2. Dec 2, 2020 at 10:22 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Yes HID have really nice beam pattern for a low beam. However couple of weeks back I was testing GTR Ultra 2 LEDs on my low beams and very impressive how LEDs have improved. They had almost good wide spread light output as my HIDs. I'm also happy that it looks OEM vs the wiring mess I had with HIDs. However LEDs does not put any heat to the front of the housing which I'm not sure if I would have problems in snowy day if ice would build up on the housing reducing my visibility. Again, not sure as I haven't tested yet.

https://youtu.be/ADUV156Rr7c

3. Dec 2, 2020 at 10:23 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    As for high beams I have faced few problems with LEDs. LEDs like Headlight Revolution SV4 have really good highbeam light output but too bright to be used as a DRL (even with DRL driver). LEDs like Xenon depot LED pro are very good as DRLs since it gives nice dim light output as DRL but not bright as SV4s as a highbeam.

https://youtu.be/7W3I3PP0QT8

4. Dec 2, 2020 at 10:31 AM
    Chris In Milwaukee

Chris In Milwaukee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, Magnetic Grey Metallic
    I've used that exact combination with 5500K HIDs. The HIDs are brilliant. BUT... As you've probably read in other threads, the position of the of light emitting element in the HID bulb is different than a stock bulb, so it changes the geometry of the reflection. What does that nerd stuff mean? It means that, for me, I really had to crank the light adjusters down to keep the bright light out of other folks' eyeballs. The side effect of that is that it made my high beams all but useless since they shined right in front of the car instead of a land far, far away. Since then I've switched to the Xenon Depot LED low beams so I can get the headlights adjust back up to normal. Truth be told, though, I really liked the HIDs better. Now that I have a light bar in my bumper that outshines my high beams, I might consider putting the HIDs back in.

I do have the LEDs with DRL module in the high-beam spot, and they're just right.

5. Dec 2, 2020 at 10:33 AM
    Barrowed Time

Barrowed Time New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited 4Runner
    I do not have any experience with the HID low beams( I went with Diode dynamics SL1) but am very happy with my Xenon Depot Hi beams with DRL driver. No issues at all and are plenty bright for me.

Chris In Milwaukee likes this.
  6. Dec 3, 2020 at 10:27 AM
    Rngr188

Rngr188 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison, AR
    Vehicle:
    Silver 20 TRD ORP
    So should I possibly change my game plan to all LED instead of HID low and LED high?

7. Dec 3, 2020 at 10:36 AM
    Chris In Milwaukee

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    Well, that’s a decision only you can make. But the longevity of LEDs is undeniable. I do like mine and the whiter color of the LEDs.

8. Dec 3, 2020 at 11:50 AM
    Rngr188

Rngr188 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison, AR
    Vehicle:
    Silver 20 TRD ORP
    As most all 4runner owners I just want better lows over factory halogen so if LED will give me that I'm good even though HID would potentially be better I'll take anything that's an improvement over stock.

9. Dec 3, 2020 at 12:44 PM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    I tried the XV2 and they had spotted light output. Not much info between forums but one other member said his were the same.
    Drives down the road like a Dalmatian with dark and bright spots

10. Dec 3, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    Chris In Milwaukee

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    The good LEDs and HIDs are roughly the same cost, so that doesn't make the decision any easier. But the LEDs are certainly an easier install. No ballasts, no holes to bore through the backs of the headlight covers, no leaks...

11. Dec 3, 2020 at 1:35 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    "LEDs are certainly an easier instal.."
    For a 4Runner some times pain in A.. Some LED kits have a bigger driver and its a pain to keep everything inside the housing.

"...backs of the headlight covers, no leaks..."
    Because its a tight fit I'm some what concerned about heat deception for the LED circuit. Even though there is a fan there is no where for the heat to go. Its all trapped in a tiny space. (So far mine works with no issue but a concern)

Winter weather driving -
    I'm little concern if there will be ice build up and reduce light output while driving in winter weather conditions. Even after driving for hours I felt no heat on front of the housing. Haven't had a chance to test in winter conditions yet.

12. Dec 3, 2020 at 1:58 PM
    Chris In Milwaukee

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    Certainly all legit points. I was wondering about longevity of the LEDs in the housing from a heat standpoint. The XTreme LEDs that I use have the flexible fin heatsinks which makes it easier to fit them than some of the block/fan heatsinks, for sure. I don't recall if I've taken mine through winter yet. It's a bit of a blur when I put them in.

kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Dec 3, 2020 at 7:20 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    After doing HID's, LED's, and a retrofit, I finally settled on what I think is the best solution. Alpharex Luxx, they are DOT legal and have a great amount of usable light with an excellent cutoff.

I've run HID's in OEM housings and while the output was fantastic, as mentioned above they weren't perfect and did have some glare. LED's that I've run didn't match the power of the HID's which left me disappointed. Additionally the LED's had the weirdest flicker, but only when not looking directly at them (in peripherals). Finally I did a Morimoto retrofit, which in my opinion is the best solution if you do it right as it will yield the most usable light, but isn't street legal, and if done wrong will cause fogging.

My final attempt was the Alpharex's, same light output as the HID's but with a clear cutoff, awesome DTRL functionality and instant on due to them being LED lows and highs. They ain't cheap but I feel like its the best all around solution to our crap OEM halogens.

20201102_090536.jpg

20201102_194342.jpg

14. Dec 3, 2020 at 8:03 PM
    stunner_4runner

stunner_4runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Radflo Stage 3 Lift Kit- 2.5 Extended Front & Rear RR Adjustable Coilovers Total Chaos Upper Arms ARB rear medium springs 3” Aiden James Switchback Fog Bezel Lights 4Runner Lifestyle Amber Raptor Grill Lights Trail Standard Offroad Satin/Matte Black TSO Pro Grille with 4Runner Letters Baja Designs WC Amber Fog Lights Baja Designs XL Sport Amber Ditch Lights with Cali Raised Ditch Light Brackets 2 Baja Designs LP6 Amber Behind the grille lights 2 SNS Designs 5" Amber Behind the grille lights N-FAB behind the grill lighting mount Pedal commander Jet Performance Mass Flo Air Sensor 315/70/17 Cooper STT Pro Fuel Rims Custom Magnaflow exhaust with Series 50 Flowmaster Muffler Alpharex Nova Midnight Black Headlights AFE Momentum GT Dry Filter CAI BantamX Touchscreen for Universal with sPOD Alpharex PRO-Series LED Tail Lights Jet Black Mid-Atlantic Off-Roading Full Length Roof Rack Outgear Solutions Low Key Front Bumper 4WDKING 30’ LED Light Bar for the Bumper RSG Front Skid Plate
    I 100% agree with PVT Pablo. AlphaRex is the way to go. I just installed some AlphaRex Alpha Black Nova Headlights and I have got to say that they are hands down amazing! Like PVT Pablo said “They ain’t cheap”, but by all means they are so worth every penny.

B22C64C6-F02D-4B0B-A1F0-CDD2A752D2A9.jpg
    EEFE39DA-7236-4B17-94DA-E1E8A67619B5.jpg

15. Dec 3, 2020 at 9:03 PM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    nice setup, but it was not cheap, was it...

[​IMG]

lastcall190 and stunner_4runner like this.
  16. Dec 4, 2020 at 6:54 AM
    stunner_4runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Radflo Stage 3 Lift Kit- 2.5 Extended Front & Rear RR Adjustable Coilovers Total Chaos Upper Arms ARB rear medium springs 3” Aiden James Switchback Fog Bezel Lights 4Runner Lifestyle Amber Raptor Grill Lights Trail Standard Offroad Satin/Matte Black TSO Pro Grille with 4Runner Letters Baja Designs WC Amber Fog Lights Baja Designs XL Sport Amber Ditch Lights with Cali Raised Ditch Light Brackets 2 Baja Designs LP6 Amber Behind the grille lights 2 SNS Designs 5" Amber Behind the grille lights N-FAB behind the grill lighting mount Pedal commander Jet Performance Mass Flo Air Sensor 315/70/17 Cooper STT Pro Fuel Rims Custom Magnaflow exhaust with Series 50 Flowmaster Muffler Alpharex Nova Midnight Black Headlights AFE Momentum GT Dry Filter CAI BantamX Touchscreen for Universal with sPOD Alpharex PRO-Series LED Tail Lights Jet Black Mid-Atlantic Off-Roading Full Length Roof Rack Outgear Solutions Low Key Front Bumper 4WDKING 30’ LED Light Bar for the Bumper RSG Front Skid Plate
    Haha, definitely wasn’t cheap, but worth every penny!!

17. Dec 4, 2020 at 7:29 AM
    Rngr188

Rngr188 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison, AR
    Vehicle:
    Silver 20 TRD ORP
    Ok so the Alpharex Luxx aren't much more than doing a HID and LED swap. The Nova is about $300 more, what would be the advantage of Nova over Luxx? Also the Morimoto XB seems pretty cool but the general consensus on them is a flop correct?

18. Dec 4, 2020 at 7:29 AM
    lastcall190

lastcall190 New Member

Member:
    I put the OEM Pro LED foglights along with 5k HIDs in the stock housings (stepped drill bit made it a breeze and I just bought new housing covers for peace of mind) and the improvement over stock was unreal.

Did I find the right ones in my google search showing that the AlphaRex are 470? Is that right? If so IMO that isn't TERRIBLE... they look very nice.

-J

stunner_4runner likes this.
  19. Dec 4, 2020 at 7:35 AM
    Chris In Milwaukee

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    There’s a $1200 version as well. Couple of “levels” for their products. They’re price competitive with the Morimoto.

20. Dec 4, 2020 at 7:39 AM
    lastcall190

lastcall190 New Member

Member:
    Huh... alright makes a little more sense then. Thank you

21. Dec 4, 2020 at 8:06 AM
    Rngr188

Rngr188 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison, AR
    Vehicle:
    Silver 20 TRD ORP
    What's the verdict on the Morimoto XB? From my understanding the first generation was not so great quality and reliability wise but don't they have a newer model?

22. Dec 4, 2020 at 9:04 AM
    stunner_4runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Before my purchase of the AlphaRex Nova’s I did a lot of research. There is a YouTube video of the output of light that the AlphaRex Nova produces next to the Morimoto. The Nova beats it. I also read that the Morimoto’s have a lot of problems compared to the Nova’s. Another reason I went with the AlphaRex Nova’s is because AlphaRex is an American based company. Their customer service is amazing.

Just google or YouTube the differences between the Luxx, Nova, and Morimoto.

23. Dec 4, 2020 at 2:58 PM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    Your right the Alpharex beats gen one morimoto but only in side lighting up front. The 15 buck H9 beats both of them with useable light that’s where you need it. These pics are laser leveled at 25’ and no fogs.
    Look for the third parking bay on the right. H9 shows it, others do not. Even stock H11 lights up the 3rd bay

9367462D-169C-4139-A5C0-AC3D2A4289B7.jpg
    CD88DF7E-56DE-47BB-A7D6-0803C7A519A6.jpg
    A2E9165A-B635-44C3-BF62-8DFC56732C70.jpg

24. Dec 4, 2020 at 3:26 PM
    cug

cug New Member

Member:
    That's normal. Peripheral vision is much more attuned to movement than center vision. Same reason why looking right next to a CRT screen amplifies the flickering.

25. Dec 4, 2020 at 6:07 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Right, the point I'm making was that only the aftermarket drop in LED bulbs did that, the Alpharex LED bulbs do not. Assumedly because Alpharex compensates for the PMW (pulse wave modulation) for the OEM halogens.

Really wish I could find your parking lot and test the Luxx's against the Novas. I'm curious to see the difference.

26. Dec 4, 2020 at 8:20 PM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    We have a rolling "tape measure" (not sure of its name) at work, I'll grab it and measure from where I park to the 1st three parking areas then I noticed with the H11 it shines light ~25' ?? to the utility boxes after that. That way you cold compare. From what I saw in your pic the light is evenly distributed rather than bright to weak to none like the nova.
    Forgot to mention its not the prime photo spot but was where I took the 1st pic from so for all the others I went back

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    PVT Pablo[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top