1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hammered 89 SR5 Project

Discussion in '1st Gen 4Runners (1984-1989)' started by UTScout, Aug 29, 2023.

1. Aug 29, 2023 at 6:47 PM
    UTScout

UTScout [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    1989 4Runner
    We have Camry's and Corolla's but this is my first Toyota truck. I'm on my 14th Jeep project (mostly FSJ's and CJ's) but this T4R is new to me. My two kids (18M & 16F) wanted me to buy it from a friend so we could work on it together, I told them that I'd do it but this is not a "Dad project" they have to help me or I sell it. They have gone all in on this thing and I'm having a blast with my two youngest still at home.

1989 SR5, 3.slo, Manual, 4x4, 392K miles, runs GREAT! It's complete for the most part but pretty rotted from the Utah salt. It came with a solid front axle from an 84 or 85 I believe? It also came with NIB: clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing/guide, slave & master cylinder.

Being a Toyota newb, I would sincerely appreciate any and all suggestions or advice. I'm researching with the kids and want to avoid stupidity if at all possible. Thanks in advance all.

HERE WE GO!Front Pic MAY2023.jpg Sid Pic MAY2023.jpg

2. Aug 29, 2023 at 6:54 PM
    UTScout

UTScout [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    1989 4Runner
    My buddy owned it for 11 years and didn't do anything to it but change fluids, power steering pump, alternator and tires. SO! First will be: water pump kit, stat, timing kit, radiator, shroud, full tune up, all hoses/vacuum lines, plenum & TB gaskets and valve cover gaskets (good grief those things have leaked all over everything!). We'll change all the fluids too. The AC worked until last fall when the battery acid ate through the AC line under the battery tray so we put a splice kit on the line, added 134 ports and I've got a factory dryer I'm adding then we'll see if we can't get that going again too.

New: fenders, nose (lights, grill, bezels, valance, bumper, corners) after we finish the mechanical.

QUESTION: The thing ran great before we tore into it (good compression and no blown head gaskets) IS IT WORTH CHANGING OUT ALL OF THE INJECTORS IF IT WAS RUNNING GREAT?Front end1.jpg Front end2.jpg Engine work.jpg

3. Sep 6, 2023 at 2:17 PM
    UTScout

UTScout [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    1989 4Runner
    QUESTION: The thing ran great before we tore into it (good compression and no blown head gaskets) IS IT WORTH CHANGING OUT ALL OF THE INJECTORS IF IT WAS RUNNING GREAT?

4. Sep 6, 2023 at 2:43 PM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner
    Nice! I've been look for a 1st gen project. How bad was the body rust? Any rot in the frame?

What are your overall plans for it?

5. Sep 6, 2023 at 3:55 PM
    UTScout

UTScout [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    1989 4Runner
    Hello! No rot in the frame - just the wheel wells.
    Right now we are working on:
    1. Water pump, timing kit, stat, radiator, all hoses (coolant and vacuum), valve cover gaskets, change all fluids, change all filters, tune up, convert AC to 134 (new drier, line repair, fittings). New nose: fenders, all lights, bumper/corners, grill/bezels, lower valance.
    2. Once its running again: I picked up a used 3 inch OME lift kit, full front end steering rebuild kit, steering box, brake: drums/shoes, rotors/pads.
    3. New stereo system, interior flooring and seat covers. Interior lighting (LED and replace covers).
    4. I acquired 2 sets of side windows with good trim so I'll get those swapped out.
    5. Rear bumper, new rear lighting.
    6. I've got all of those parts collected, once all of that is done then I'll start working on the rear wheel wells. I'm not sure how to tackle those yet - looking for suggestions. I've seen: fiberglass flares (not sure if they are big enough), 3 piece metal replacement sides (costly and lots of labor) and someone mentioned that there are full fiberglass sides out there - I can't find those yet.
    7. Once that is all done, I have a new full clutch with slave and master cylinders in my garage. I'll get the new clutch done once my kids have learned to drive a clutch:)
    Any and all suggestions welcome! I probably should have looked for a much cleaner one but this thing was complete, had good compression, ran great and was cheap!

6. Sep 7, 2023 at 12:42 PM
    se7enine

se7enine New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1984 4Runner
    3RZ
    I would try a DIY cleaning method first. YouTube has some methods.

UTScout[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Sep 7, 2023 at 3:07 PM
    UTScout

UTScout [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    1989 4Runner
    If it ran great before I tore it apart would you still recommend doing it? I'm asking because if I've got it torn apart that far and its not too bad then I want to clean those puppies.
    Thanks for the advice.

8. Sep 12, 2023 at 11:09 PM
    UTScout

UTScout [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    1989 4Runner
    Replacing Cam & Crankshaft seals while its torn down. I cannot seem to get the crankshaft timing gear ring off. Any ideas?

9. Sep 20, 2023 at 12:11 PM
    se7enine

se7enine New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1984 4Runner
    3RZ
    I would clean them while they are out. It's fairly easy to clean. You can get a good look at the o-rings and see if they need replacement too. Oil the o-rings when reinstalling them.

10. Sep 25, 2023 at 10:26 PM
    UTScout

UTScout [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    1989 4Runner
    Trying to get this guy off. Completely frozen. PB Blaster, WD40, Twisting screwdrivers at 9 & 3, prybars on rags, tapped it in with a big socket, none of my pullers can grab that little space against the oil pump, no threaded holes. Any ideas?....Crankshaft gear1.jpg Crankshaft gear2.jpg Crankshaft gear3.jpg

11. Oct 17, 2023 at 2:56 PM
    UTScout

UTScout [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    1989 4Runner
    Work has been busy. I ordered a new: crank timing gear, washer and woodruff key from Toyota. Made sure the parts were correct then got it drilled and tapped. We didn't want to put too much heat to it so my son ground some slots into the gear for the puller. It was not coming loose until the last eighth inch on the crank - even after 2 weeks of PB Blaster every day! Now we can get moving again.
    New timing gear.jpg puller2.jpg Puller1.jpg Crankshaft no gear.jpg Slotted gear.jpg Tapped gear.jpg

fiddy5000 likes this.
  12. Oct 17, 2023 at 3:14 PM
    UTScout

UTScout [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    1989 4Runner
    Sorry about the GIANT pics. I just realized I need to do thumbnails. I'll do that in the future.

13. Oct 20, 2023 at 3:29 PM
    skiwaves13

skiwaves13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Vehicle:
    87 4runner 4 cyl 5 speed dlx
    UTScout[OP] likes this.
  14. Oct 20, 2023 at 11:33 PM
    UTScout

UTScout [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    1989 4Runner
    That is awesome! I'll start doing some searching over the next month but are there write ups with the metal and the fiberglass here or on other 4Runner forums?

15. Oct 21, 2023 at 12:21 AM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    Borla exhaust, Jet MAF sensor, K&N filter, Hayden rapid cool transmission cooler, Hella horns, electric fan, Pedal Commander, Derale power steering cooler,
    If it's running good, why would you want to disassemble to see why?

16. Oct 23, 2023 at 3:54 PM
    UTScout

UTScout [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    1989 4Runner
    I asked if he had done anything to it in the time he owned it and he said no and had put on over 100K miles. When we pulled it apart it the timing belt was toast, water pump was leaking throught the weep hole, radiator was seeping and the front crankshaft seal was leaking. The valve cover gaskets were also leaking all over the place so the idea was to do all of the deferred maintanance and repair to hopefully get another 80K miles out of it:)

17. Nov 9, 2023 at 7:27 PM
    UTScout

UTScout [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    1989 4Runner
    Alright! We had some issues to handle (family and medical) all is good so we are back at it. I would like to replace all of these while we have the plenum off. I have the stock temp sensor but I've been searching and can someone tell me where I can find these sensors? I have an 89 3.0 manual. Here is the back of my engine:

Sensors2.jpg
    Here is a picture I found but it has a hose in the middle that I don't have:
    sensors.jpg
    And here is another picture I found on the forum again with the hose in the middle:
    [​IMG]

Can anyone direct me to one that looks like mine and has the names of the sensors? Are these pics of the 3.4?
    Thanks in advance.

To Top