1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Guess I was bird watching today...

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by 4runGirl88, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Jul 8, 2022 at 10:37 AM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    Really? You move into the passing lane?

Thatbassguy likes this.
  2. Jul 8, 2022 at 11:01 AM
    SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Venture & 2010 tundra limited
    I'm a little dyslectic today, ill make the corrections.

3. Jul 8, 2022 at 11:19 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    But, at least you let them pass so they could drive however fast they wanted. I've seen folks camp out in the left lane. I don't know if they're trying to be dicks, or just clueless.

4. Jul 8, 2022 at 11:22 AM
    BearBio

BearBio New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2019, Dark Blue SR5
    Roof rack, side bars
    I/We stay to the right except when passing.
    Just returned from 3 weeks in eastern WA, OR, NV, CA, AZ and NM. Always thought the drivers in "The Land of Rude" (OR) were the worst but this trip changed my mind: Now, it's the Vegas Drivers!

WHY do truckers get a free pass on driving in the left lane? They will sit there and not pass a slower truck (and will cut you off, in the process!)

BTW: Lots of "Mad Max" cars in OR, also!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  5. Jul 8, 2022 at 11:31 AM
    SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    Just a guesstimate, 90% clueless 10% dicks.

Daddykool and Thatbassguy like this.
  6. Jul 8, 2022 at 2:37 PM
    4runGirl88

4runGirl88 [OP] Get a little mud on the tires!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black SR5 Premium (AKA Black Betty)
    Hmmm...that's pretty generous. I honestly think it's more 50/50 in OR/WA.

Ricphoto, Thatbassguy and 2Toys like this.
  7. Jul 8, 2022 at 4:01 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    Hey, it’s everywhere in the west! These are long distance interstate truckers. In CA between SF and LA on I5 it’s nuts. I’ve heard explanations such as they try to hold the speed limit and will pass each other at just slightly over the limit to comply with their company rules. It will take them 2-5 miles or more to accomplish that with a huge stack up of cars chomping at the bit behind them. I think they enjoy it.

8. Jul 8, 2022 at 4:09 PM
    Benny123

Benny123 Toyota enthusiast

Member:
    Southeast Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Nautical Blue SR5 Premium
    LEDs all around, otherwise bone stock.
    Charlotte here. Tailgeted daily in the far right lane driving over the limit. Drivers are way worse today than they were 20 years ago.

Thatbassguy and 4runGirl88[OP] like this.
  9. Jul 8, 2022 at 5:54 PM
    4runGirl88

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Maybe I'm just getting old.

WTW15, ElectroBoy and 2Toys like this.
  10. Jul 8, 2022 at 5:58 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    I usually set up camp in the left lane just because I drive so fast compared to others. That being said, regardless of how fast I'm going, I will move right when someone is going faster - just keeps traffic flowing. Speed really depends on the state or road I'm on. Some states you could be pulled over on the interstate and slapped with a wreckless driving ticket for doing 11 over because anything over 80 is considered wreckless driving. In others, if you aren't doing 85 in a 55 zone you'll get run over. I was taught in my defensive driving course that the safest speed to travel is with the flow of traffic, regardless of speed limit.

11. Jul 8, 2022 at 6:01 PM
    4runGirl88

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That works. But I find that the "flow" is inconsistent. Each lane has both fastest, faster, and slow drivers in them. It's chaotic at best.

wdsteven likes this.
  12. Jul 8, 2022 at 6:08 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    You are correct, the flow is usually inconsistent. But I think that's because a lot of people don't follow the "rules of the road" which, on the interstates, would be slower traffic keeps right. Simple concept that I think works when executed correctly.

13. Jul 8, 2022 at 6:13 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Sorry, I just read that and it sounds kinda prickish. I just think not enough people pay attention to what's going on around, or coming up behind them. Aside from really slow entrance laners (you know, merging with 70mph traffic at 40) I think each lane could efficiently move at different speeds if everyone paid attention and followed the "rules".

4runGirl88[OP], Thatbassguy and 2Toys like this.
  14. Jul 8, 2022 at 6:26 PM
    SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    Might be a little generous. I just drove from California, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Utah and back, all the states, except California moved out of the left lane to let one pass. With today's generation, seems to me most are clueless. In California anyway.

4runGirl88[QUOTED][OP] and 2Toys like this.
  15. Jul 8, 2022 at 6:46 PM
    Brodie

Brodie New Member

Member:
    Richmond, Va
    Vehicle:
    2021 Grey 4Runner SR5
    I've driven in some states, Pennsylvania comes to mine, that the right lane is so torn up by the trucks I stay in the left lane unless somebody comes up behind me.

16. Jul 8, 2022 at 7:09 PM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    Here is Utah ha ha haaa it don't matter how fast you are driving in any lane you are still driving too slow for somebody... Even when going thru a heavy road work area that is posted 55 they still dive 70 plus I drive between 5 to 10 over limit so yes I been shown that I am Number 1 many times but it is so weird to see how they react when I blow a Kiss at them back I didn't think they would appreciate it so much that they would keep showing me the Number 1 over and over again!

4runGirl88[OP] likes this.
  17. Jul 8, 2022 at 7:18 PM
    2Toys

2Toys Imperial Star Cruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    a few goodies
    Sorry! It takes us a while to calm down...

I just did my second trip down I-5 with the cruise set at 70. Amazing how I wasn't stressed out... And I got almost 21 MPG! ( I have been a member of the 80+ club for many years!)

18. Jul 9, 2022 at 4:11 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    I've driven in every state except RI and HI.

Montana and Wyoming drivers are the best IMO.

California are the worst and I say that from 5 years of living there.

Although really you don't ever see people at their best on the interstate. If they were out for a leisurely drive they wouldn't be on the interstate... interstates are for shittin' and gittin'... so people bring a certain level of aggressiveness there and in their minds seconds matter and time is money.

I am not the speed demon I used to be so cruise at 8 over in the right lane works nicely for me. The unofficial motto of the (Ohio) Highway Patrol: "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine!"... I'll just hang out in the right lane and watch the carnage, be that speeding tickets or crashes.

I will say I agree with most peeves here, but my current #1 freeway driving peeve which no one mentioned is those retards who think an 'on ramp' should be traveled at no more than 21 mph, and then who STOP at the end of it... like it's easy to merge into freeway traffic going 80 from a dead standstill. Fuck those people. Their lack of big picture awareness is going to cause a crash, hopefully they just take themselves out when the inevitable happens...

4runGirl88[OP] and Daddykool like this.
  19. Jul 9, 2022 at 5:34 AM
    Henry J

Henry J Crap…crap crap crap crap…crap

Member:
    Sacramento Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Brick Red FJ & 2011 Silver T4R Trail
    I’ve lived most of my life in California and this sadistic piece of unplanned growth and crap is the worst stretch ever. If you know it in Sacramento then you know to stay away from 6-9 am an 3-7 pm and during any rain or wind storm. Some how the planners have forced you to merge from I5 N/S through off ramps from 50 E/W that also have massive amount of semi traffic. Every day I see people just flat out stopped waiting for a window. And that’s in the third lane!

0328CB5F-468B-43F5-BB83-0C072A0D4CBD.jpg

Bodie the Dog and 4runGirl88[OP] like this.
  20. Jul 9, 2022 at 5:44 AM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    Looks like a genuine fuster cluck. I'm grateful all the time that I don't live in CA. So many reports of idiocy. I only know two people who have lived in CA (one is on this forum), and they both moved out. Crazy stories from them both.

4runGirl88[OP], Henry J and MeefZah like this.
  21. Jul 9, 2022 at 6:03 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    ^ hey dats me!!!!

Daddykool, 4runGirl88[OP] and Henry J like this.
  22. Jul 9, 2022 at 7:44 AM
    BearBio

BearBio New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2019, Dark Blue SR5
    Roof rack, side bars
    Found just the opposite: AZ, NV, and NM were the worst about not clearing the left lane. Most had Texas plates, though (quite a few had Cali plates, admittedly). Cali drivers are reckless, but they DO know HOW to drive! OR and WA are clueless on the highways!

23. Jul 9, 2022 at 8:28 AM
    SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    Montana and Wyoming drivers are the best IMO.

California are the worst and I say that from 5 years of living there.

Although really you don't ever see people at their best on the interstate. If they were out for a leisurely drive they wouldn't be on the interstate... interstates are for shittin' and gittin'... so people bring a certain level of aggressiveness there and in their minds seconds matter and time is money.

I am not the speed demon I used to be so cruise at 8 over in the right lane works nicely for me. The unofficial motto of the (Ohio) Highway Patrol: "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine!"... I'll just hang out in the right lane and watch the carnage, be that speeding tickets or crashes.

I will say I agree with most peeves here, but my current #1 freeway driving peeve which no one mentioned is those retards who think an 'on ramp' should be traveled at no more than 21 mph, and then who STOP at the end of it... like it's easy to merge into freeway traffic going 80 from a dead standstill. Fuck those people. Their lack of big picture awareness is going to cause a crash, hopefully they just take themselves out when the inevitable happens...[/QUOTE]

Thats been a peeve of mine for years. Some jackass california state engineer/s thought it was a good idea to put traffic lights on all the on ramps, so they merge at 16 mph one at a time. Many years ago and today's gen thinks that's how you're supposed to merge on the freeway. Total fail.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    4runGirl88[OP] and 2Toys like this.
  24. Jul 9, 2022 at 9:56 AM
    4runGirl88

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I respectfully disagree that driving reckless = knowing how to drive

wdsteven and Getuponit like this.
  25. Jul 9, 2022 at 10:12 AM
    4Daughters

4Daughters It’s how I know God has a sense of humor

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD ORP; Silver; too many port options...Ah well...
    TBD
    George Carlin said there are two types of drivers: idiots and maniacs; the idiots are going slower than you, and the maniacs are going faster than you.

Getuponit, MeefZah and PVT Pablo like this.
  26. Jul 9, 2022 at 10:18 AM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    This is my favorite scenario;

I approach person camping left lane, I find space to get around them. They get mad that I dared to go faster than them, and they suddenly find the gas pedal and magically start tailgating me. Doesn't matter if I'm going 80, 90, and beyond, they'll have no problem doing 30 over to keep up with me when they couldn't manage 65 previously.

27. Jul 9, 2022 at 10:30 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    Funny related story, I passed a guy in a truck on my bike once at maybe 10 over, and apparently this angered him, so he climbs up my ass for a few miles to let me know his displeasure. I pull over onto a gravel pullout as we enter a small city because I definitely don't want him up my ass as we are in town with the risks of me having to stop abruptly for traffic and then possibly getting rear ended by him. As I pull over, I guess he decides to buzz me really close to realllllllllllly send me the message of his displeasure, and he comes a few feet off the road to do so. And immediately proceeds to run into a pole that was between me and the road. Holy shit! Flip up the visor to help him visualize my expression, laugh and point at him, and ride off into the proverbial sunset.

28. Jul 9, 2022 at 12:10 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    I was on my way home after work one afternoon. On my KZ1000P Police Special. Same kind Ponch and John rode. Still had all the fiberglass...fairing, saddlebags, etc. I had a radio system installed, cigarette lighter, stuff to make it comfortable, since the ride to and from work was just over an hour. My boss was behind me, in his,,,ooooo, ahhhh...Firebird he was incredibly proud of.
    We got to about a 5 mile straightaway, and he passed me. OK, two can play this game, so I pulled out to pass him. As I was right next to him, he sped up. Ok, he wants to play, show off his wonderous super muscle car. Fine.
    He and I "raced" this way for a ways. Got up to about 100 MPH. We were running short on straight road, so I goosed the throttle, blew past him, and got back in.

From then on, whenever I heard him bragging about his super duper car, I'd chime in with somethin like " It's ok, but doesn't have much top end." and wander off. He hated that...

Just an example of some of my bad riding. Had fun though :D
    Pat☺

29. Jul 9, 2022 at 12:57 PM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    I guess the big difference between me and a lot of folks driving not all but certainly a lot of other drivers on the Road where I am is I'm Not in a hurry, I got my Music turned up nice and erum maybe too loud for some but it the way I like it and I did not wait until I only have 5 minutes to left get somewhere that it takes 25 minutes to get there and the only time I am ever in a hurry on the road is when I'm going fishing and it is late like 5:30 Am already!

30. Jul 9, 2022 at 1:24 PM
    Beachguy

Beachguy Normal turned up too loud

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium

Products Discussed in

To Top