1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Getting a NEW OEM V6 engine for a 2004 4Runner?

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by RomaniGypsy, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Dec 18, 2017 at 7:53 AM
    RomaniGypsy

RomaniGypsy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4WD, 2014 Prius v, 1972 Cadillac Calais
    Don't worry - mine is still running fine, but I'm hearing talk about the 03-05 V6 models having head gasket weaknesses. I've read that it'd be about $2,000 to get the repair done. So - is it possible to buy a brand new 4.0 engine, straight from Toyota, for this model year? (It doesn't have to be year-specific - just 100% compatible. If the 2017 engine would work for a 2004, great.) And if yes, about how much could I expect to spend for the engine and installation, assuming I can't do the job myself?

I ask because right now I have over 192,000 miles on the 4Runner and if I have to get the head gasket done at some point, I'd just end up with an engine with high mileage on all the rest of its parts, and a new head gasket. If for a reasonable upcharge I could get a brand new engine with zero miles, and in so doing extend the life of the 4Runner for a long time and significantly raise its resale value if the time were to come that I'd have to get rid of it, I might be money ahead in the end to do so.

Or would I be?

2. Dec 19, 2017 at 7:22 AM
    Dtopgun515

Dtopgun515 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Premium and 2013 TRD Sport Tacoma
    None...yet...
    A vehicle with high mileage on an old engine and a vehicle with high mileage on a new engine is still a vehicle with high mileage no mater which way you split it. You may get a little more money out of resale with a new engine but everything else is still old. I personally wouldn't buy a vehicle with high mileage or one that had had a new engine installed. There is a market for everything so you would just have to do whats best for your situation. At the end of the day how long do you really expect to keep the vehicle? Whats the cost benefit of new engine vs repaired. You put a new engine in id be willing to bet it won't be long before the transmission fails, then your rebuilding that...Lot of variables to your question...

3. Dec 19, 2017 at 10:55 AM
    Roman

Roman New Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    No, complete engines are not available. You can get a complete short block, but that's it. New heads are bare with nothing in them. You could always take and have the heads inspected and cleaned at a machine shop, and put them onto the new short block. It definitely won't raise the value of the vehicle much at all, if any.

SnowroxKT and Dtopgun515 like this.
  4. Jan 1, 2018 at 10:43 PM
    xdelmar

xdelmar New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Currently San Felipe, Baja.
    Vehicle:
    Prospective buyer of 4th gen
    I want to travel and camp and will do Mod's necessary to do this with a 4runner.
    I ask because right now I have over 192,000 miles on the 4Runner and if I have to get the head gasket done at some point, I'd just end up with an engine with high mileage on all the rest of its parts, and a new head gasket. If for a reasonable upcharge I could get a brand new engine with zero miles, and in so doing extend the life of the 4Runner for a long time and significantly raise its resale value if the time were to come that I'd have to get rid of it, I might be money ahead in the end to do so.

Or would I be?[/QUOTE]

:eek: There are various sources for JDM motors using Google search term: JDM motors for Toyota 4Runner. Ebay,
    https://jdmracingmotors.com/en/search,/?search=Toyota 4Runner

Some of these seem interesting enough to do some serious checking out.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Jan 10, 2018 at 5:20 AM
    Dtopgun515

Dtopgun515 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Premium and 2013 TRD Sport Tacoma
    None...yet...
    Its not going to significantly raise your resale value...

Products Discussed in

To Top