1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas smell

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by 4runnergirl, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Feb 18, 2016 at 2:43 PM
    4runnergirl

4runnergirl [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Janet
    Vehicle:
    97runner
    None
    Hello I am new to this site so bare with me.
    I have a 97 runner I have had it 16 years has 200867 miles I have babied it from the first day I bought it stay up on all of my maintenance just recently I have been having a strong gas smell coming from my tail pipe I just had the timing belt water pump done 8000 miles ago air filter 02 sensor spark plugs wirers and catalytic converter less then 2 years ago I work fora Lexus dealer and they are telling me it is the catalytic converter so I have my mechanic take it back to the place he got it from and they are saying nothings wrong with it i have no check engine light on and no one can pull any codes everything that has been checked shows good any suggestions

2. Feb 18, 2016 at 5:43 PM
    wnelax04sr5

wnelax04sr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 Galactic Gray
    if your mechanic checked it out and they can't find anything wrong i wouldnt worry too much. is the smell entering the passenger compartment?

3. Mar 1, 2016 at 8:42 PM
    Jason

Jason New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    1992 black 4runner
    still stock
    place some cardboard under your gas tank forward, check for leaks while its off, then start and see if it leaks, lines wear out over time, could be hole in tank or the gasket for the sending unit could be no good, even the filler neck could leak if no good, if no leaks then have the guys at your job check it if they think or it might not be anything or its above my knowledge

4. Mar 2, 2016 at 4:10 AM
    RonT4R

RonT4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner SR5 4WD
    Also could be your charcoal canister, any of the emission items that can go wrong can cause a rich fuel mixture.......

Jason likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top