1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas gauge

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by 08tnt, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Sep 26, 2022 at 4:58 PM
    08tnt

08tnt [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Toby
    Recently my 4 runner gauge will ready empty with the light on even though it has gas in it. Level does not matter. I did hit the mode button just to see and it read like it should so it is the a gauge problem? Need some input please.

2008 4 runner limited V-6 2 wheel drive

2. Oct 26, 2022 at 10:06 AM
    Bluesky 07

Bluesky 07 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Northern Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Silver ‘07 Sport 4WD @ 253K
    “Deep” Satoshi grille | X-REAS delete / TRD Offroad front springs & Bilstein 4600 shocks + FJC rear springs | Weathertech front & rear mats | Tinted front windows | Floor Armor cargo mat | TPMS bypass | LED interior, tag, & reverse lights | BlueSea Systems console USB power ports | Gentex 453 autodim mirror w/Homelink & compass | Kenwood DDX373BT HU + Audiovox backup camera | Fumoto F-103S | Bazooka tube subwoofer | Kenwood speakers & KAC-M1804 amp | Philips H9/9011 headlight bulbs | Rexing V1 Gen3 dash cam | Map light mod | Breather mod | Off-road Nav Setup | Power Stop Z36 brakes | OBD Fusion diagnostics
    Most likely the fuel sending unit. has more on my experience with this.

3. Nov 23, 2022 at 5:37 PM
    Toyota2008

Toyota2008 New Member

Member:
    Hey there Bluesky07-when it was really warm out my fuel gauge would read approx 412 (miles to go) when max filled with gas and now i noticed when I fill it up it only goes to about 361 (miles to go) even though the tank is full-do you think the fuel sending unit could be the problem?

4. Nov 24, 2022 at 8:51 AM
    Bluesky 07

Bluesky 07 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Northern Georgia
    Vehicle:
    “Deep” Satoshi grille | X-REAS delete / TRD Offroad front springs & Bilstein 4600 shocks + FJC rear springs | Weathertech front & rear mats | Tinted front windows | Floor Armor cargo mat | TPMS bypass | LED interior, tag, & reverse lights | BlueSea Systems console USB power ports | Gentex 453 autodim mirror w/Homelink & compass | Kenwood DDX373BT HU + Audiovox backup camera | Fumoto F-103S | Bazooka tube subwoofer | Kenwood speakers & KAC-M1804 amp | Philips H9/9011 headlight bulbs | Rexing V1 Gen3 dash cam | Map light mod | Breather mod | Off-road Nav Setup | Power Stop Z36 brakes | OBD Fusion diagnostics
    It's definitely possible as that was my first clue that something was amiss. The range figure was the same as yours (400+) when I got my 4R in 2014 with 96K miles and gradually declined all the way down into the 330 range at one point. With the new fuel sending unit, it immediately went into the 370s and is now back at ~400.

It may be helpful to have some info on how that calculation seems to work. This is not anything official, just my conclusion based on trying to figure it out and calculating my true gas mileage (miles traveled divided by gallons to fill) at every fillup for the last several years. First thing is that the mpg shown in the vehicle display is not accurate. Not sure how the truck comes up with it but it typically reads about 2 mpg higher than actual mileage. 4th Gens have a 23 gallon tank and Toyota appears to have decided on a 3-gallon reserve, so the range figure is the result of 20 gallons x whatever the mpg display says. If that theory is correct, your displayed mpg with an indicated range of 412 miles should be somewhere around 20.6, but calculating it yourself would reveal that you're really getting something like 18.6. If the fuel sending unit is working correctly, then at 361 miles indicated range, the mpg display should be showing around 18 mpg (but you're actually getting 16). The issue of course is that those numbers are thrown off if the fuel sending unit malfunctions, and seeing the problem (how the "track" wears away over time), I think that's inevitable.

FWIW, it's marginally possible that something in the fuel gauge itself is broken, but the mechanic who did my fuel sending unit and fuel pump (might as well while the tank is down) said, "With these trucks, it's almost never the gauge itself."

Hope you get it sorted out and please lmk if I can answer any other questions.

5. Nov 24, 2022 at 11:29 AM
    Bluesky 07

Bluesky 07 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Northern Georgia
    Vehicle:
    P.S. The last straw for me was that the needle wouldn't go higher than 3/4 of a tank when I knew it was full. That's a pretty sure sign the fuel sending unit isn't working properly. It's likely the cause for the lowered range as well since the truck has more fuel than it "thinks" it does.

6. Nov 27, 2022 at 5:06 AM
    08tnt

08tnt [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Toby
    I am thinking I will change pump and sending unit soon. Looked at rock auto and the have a Delphi for about 400. A lot cheaper that a Toyota for 700.

Products Discussed in

To Top