1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Future value of the 4runner

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Ozzy52, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Jun 12, 2019 at 6:36 AM
    Firefly21

Firefly21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane Frazier
    Vehicle:
    18 off road premium trd
    Hid lows 3500 drl / high Led interior Led reverse Led oem fogs Sequential blinker Trd intake Unifilter pump mod Apex recover points BF Goodrich KO2 (matching trd spare) Kicker front tweeters Tvd overlays S2 yellow wide fogs Apex black sequential rear tails Cartrim home blue convex mirriors
    Today’s F1 0-60 times are exponentially faster than predecessors of even a couple decades ago. Formula One race cars have been recorded to reach 0-60 as fast as 1.6 seconds, however the typical range for modern day F1 cars is between 2.1 to 2.7 seconds.

2. Jun 12, 2019 at 9:58 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Really cool tech. I hadn't heard of it before. I bet that thing would dominate some off-road trails........if you could find a way to charge it way outside of civilization. Thanks for sharing :cheers:

Full electric wouldn't be practical for me personally at the moment, but think a hybrid 4Runner would fit my lifestyle pretty well. The hybrid Rav4's are putting out more power than the ICE versions and getting better mpgs on top of it. Extra couple grand to purchase the hybrid version, but that's worth it to me. I'm hoping 4Runner offers a hybrid in the 6th gen.

WallyT4R[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Jun 12, 2019 at 11:20 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Well get ready cuz the next gen Tundra is most likely going to have a hybrid option or straight up be a hybrid. Been hearing twin turbo V6. Maybe the 6th gen will go the same route with the hybrid stuff but I doubt it will get the high powered tt v6.

nimby[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jun 13, 2019 at 4:37 AM
    Benny123

Benny123 Toyota enthusiast

Member:
    Southeast Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Nautical Blue SR5 Premium
    LEDs all around, otherwise bone stock.
    I was interested in Hydrogen (No range issues, green tech.), as was Hyundai and Toyota until the events of the past week.

https://jalopnik.com/hydrogen-station-explosion-halts-fuel-cell-sales-in-nor-1835450367

Toyota and Hyundai have both temporarily stopped sales of FCVs while the explosion is more deeply investigated.

I think were headed to more hybrids across all platforms. All 100% electric vehicles have their downside (range, charge times, exploding batteries). All gas vehicles have their downside, oil dependency. I might add that electrics arent as green as people think they are. Sure they dont make emissions, but power often still comes from a nuclear plant somewhere. Not to mention 100% electric vehicles come at a higher price.

That said, I think there will be a value in vintage 4runners regardless. Look at the love for 1st and 2nd gens here.

Ive been afear of an all electric fleet overnight since I bought my 4runner in 07, but it never happened. I started the thread below to remind people of the past and not to panic the next time gas hits $4 gallon.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-anniversary-stories-data-and-regrets.595439/

There were alot of smoking mirrors at the time cash for clunkers occurred. People were panicking and crushing or selling their SUVs. My neighbor had her beautiful 2004 H2 Hummer crushed in 2009. CRUSHED. To this day, the value of HUMMERS went up, because there are so few. Also look at the rising value of the FJ cruisers. If you like your SUV keep it.

The bigger issue noted above, is whether drivers of the future will appreciate vehicles that you have to drive. Many folks dont know how to drive stick. I used to have a Model A, and you used to have to double clutch the stick. NOBODY knows how to do that. I imagine a day 10 years from now when folks wont buy a car that doesnt have a backup camera, lane detection, parking assist and a set of six airbags. Hell, alot of millennials in Charlotte rent scooters are their primary transit and take the light rail occasionally. They dont event want a vehicle.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    WallyT4R and nimby like this.
  5. Jun 16, 2019 at 2:28 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    I know how to double clutch...and double dutch.

Firefly21 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top